The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji X-E1 for Photokina?

Rich M

Yes,
Looks excellent. I've pre-ordered the silver kit version. Give a substantial discount over the lens only and makes a second body relatively inexpensive.
Me too.....I was going to go for a second X-P1 body.......glad I didn't.

Like Graham, I ordered through my local store. He has been getting the Fuji stuff on his shelf very quickly.

R

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have emailed Monza about this one: it ticks all the boxes the X-Pro 1 didn't, for me:

1. adjustable diopter (when I work with an assistant, we swap body/lens combinations while we work; she needs 0 adjustment, I need +2, roughly).

2. smaller body than the X-Pro 1 (thinking three-lens carry on kit)

3. faster focussing (I know this will come to big brother too, though)

4. same sensor; same processing: it's so good, we all know, and JPEGS are really good

Just what the doctor ordered. I wonder if monza can get a discount on the body plus the 35... that's all I want for now. Actually, thinking about the present three-lens kit (GX-1, RRS bottom bracket, 12/2, 20/1.7, 45/1.8) the Fuji three lens kit is even better for the way I shoot: 14/2.8 (21mm EFOV); 35/1.4, and 60/2.4. If the video is good, it could be bye-bye GX-1.

Did I just say that?

:bugeyes:

etrigan63

Kit,
I just got confirmation from RRS that a grip/plate kit for the X-E1. I myself am staring with the kit zoom and will add primes later. As for the grip plate situation, I am going for the RRS bottom plate plus grip which keeps the battery/card door accessible.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think that one of the BIG additions for me is the optional remote interface which opens up the option for an intervalometer. I'm very happy with using a manual cable release on my X-Pro1 but I'd dearly love to be able to do multi-shot long exposures with it and the lack of intervalometer/remote release is a pain. The X-E1 looks like it'll solve that :thumbs:

Btw, if you haven't seen it Fuji now have an X-E1 mini site:
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e1/en/

Also lots of content on their main site too.

Last edited:

Terry

I think that one of the BIG additions for me is the optional remote interface which opens up the option for an intervalometer. I'm very happy with using a manual cable release on my X-Pro1 but I'd dearly love to be able to do multi-shot long exposures with it and the lack of intervalometer/remote release is a pain. The X-E1 looks like it'll solve that :thumbs:
Yes, I do love mechanical cable releases but damn the ability to use a good intervalometer/electronic remote will be excellent.

raist3d

Yes, I do love mechanical cable releases but damn the ability to use a good intervalometer/electronic remote will be excellent.
I will never understand why camera companies can't do this built-in, in digital cameras other than to take money from you. My little pentax Q has one, so does the Sigma DP2.

- Ricardo

Terry

I will never understand why camera companies can't do this built-in, in digital cameras other than to take money from you. My little pentax Q has one, so does the Sigma DP2.

- Ricardo
I don't disagree. At least there are a lot of external options including iPhone and Android phone apps to accomplish this.

etrigan63

I wonder if I can use TriggerTrap with just a mini-stereo cable instead of an adapter module (which takes forever to arrive)?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I wonder if I can use TriggerTrap with just a mini-stereo cable instead of an adapter module (which takes forever to arrive)?
You want the triggertrap module to protect your iPhone. I don't know the cabling of the X-E1 but I'll go out on a limb and say that setting up a connector to trigger the cable release/half press would be trivial once you know the pin out. The remote release on pretty much all cameras is at best trivial.

JCT

Seriously considering dropping the NEX and Micro 4/3 cameras and moving to the Fuji X system. It seems like they are able to do in less than a year what Sony hasn't done in nearly 3 years with the NEX system - provide a good base of native lenses. They both have M-mount adapters as well. Gonna wait until after Photokina though to see what Leica comes up with too.
I've almost completed my migration from NEX and m4/3 to Fuji. Just got back from a business trip to Greece where I had to pack very light, so I went with an x100 and x10 and I'm pretty thrilled with how they behaved. Since it was mostly business I didn't have time for a day dedicated to photography, so I left the X-Pro 1 at home. Carried both Fuji's with no problems.

Will probably sell my G3 + lenses to finance an X-E1 kit. Seems like a great way to pick up the zoom AND get a second body. Will hold on to the NEX-5N for legacy glass.

I think Fuji has just nailed it with their X-series.

etrigan63

Thanks Graham. I posted the question on the Tt Support Forums. Hopefully it will get some traction.
Got a reply that they do not officially support the RR-80 based interface. It uses a mini-USB plug resistors on lines 4-5 which are not used normally. I would have to either wire up a custom tip (which I am not good at) or cannibalize an RR-80 release (I may try to scrounge one up on the 'bay) for the mini-USB end. After that it's a simple matter to solder in the three resistors (12K, 39K, & 82K) and wire it to a mini-stereo plug. I just wish Radio Shack carried the resistors in their stores instead on making me mail-order them.