The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji X-E1 for Photokina?

dhsimmonds

Details of the new kid on the Fuji X series block leaked together with further details of the XF 18-55mm zoom here:

http://photorumors.com/2012/08/24/t...camera-will-not-have-a-viewfinder/#more-29374

The zoom has lost the aperture ring and it looks as if it will have an aperture priority setting instead using the body to control actual aperture setting. It is likely to be the kit lens with the new E1.

The E1 looks as if it has lost it's OVF but has a dedicated EVF instead.

V

Vivek

The price and a decent EVF- two factors that will get my attention.

Still, it will be a very tough decision against the NEX-6 that has everything and more.

Pelao

Still, it will be a very tough decision against the NEX-6 that has everything and more.
Good point. For me though, the Fuji selection of lenses is superior, and I much prefer the Fuji interface.

Rayto

Still, it will be a very tough decision against the NEX-6 that has everything and more.[/

Interesting, as long as you don't want more than one decent native lens. I use a NEX-5N and this Fuji is of high interest to me. Good, and improving lens portfolio. Superb IQ if its anything like an X100, which is my main carry. Control set aimed at a photographer. Excellent metering. Excellent white balance. Sorry, but spend a little time looking at the images posted on the web and compare the end product. You don't need print to see the difference.

Oh, and usable jpegs. Not blobs of black for shadows.

V

Vivek

Rayto: I am well aware of the images posted from XPro1.

If a tool isn't convenient- tunnel vision, poor EVF, no tilt/swivel LCD- an opportunity to get an image is lost. That is more important to me than spectacular colors and such. Your preferences/needs may be different.

FWIW, the X100 is not a system camera. I have had my share of P&S compact cams (film and dgital). No thanks. :)

jonoslack

Never could get the look of the X-pro1 with the slopey side, but the E1 looks like a thing of beauty and wonder.
all the best

V

Vivek

The hotshoe adds to the looks but I have not heard any XPRO1 users mounting a flash on their camera.

Perhaps, it is an integral part of the retro looks.

V

Vivek

Finally, there is one flash user!

Tim, Do you use any of Fuji's TTL flashes? I did ask here earlier but I do not recall anyone saying they did (I can't find that thread either).

woodyspedden

Tim, Do you use any of Fuji's TTL flashes? I did ask here earlier but I do not recall anyone saying they did (I can't find that thread either).
Vivek

I have the Fujifilm EF20 and find it a useful flash for situations where you don't need a hefty output. It is very small and has a tilt head. The battery life is not real good however so bring plenty.

Woody

V

Vivek

Woody,

Thanks for your reply!

Fuji also sell a cheaper, more powerful and versatile flash, albeit quite big.

dhsimmonds

I too use a flash on my XPro1, the EF40, it works really well but admit I rarely use it, the lenses are generally fast with excellent high ISO performance. It is useful sometimes for a bit of quick fill-in when needed. By the way the Fuji X forum, (see XPRO1 discussions) has numerous posts on using flash with this camera!)

Braeside

The good news is that along with the X-E1 we will be getting the same improvements in low light AF, MF, 3X MF zoom, SD card write speed, and auto ISO 6400 in Version 2 of the firmware for the X-Pro 1 due 18th of this month.

I'm not personally interested in the X-E1, as I love the OVF in the X-Pro 1 and find the present EVF acceptable, though would love a better one like the X-E1. What I am interested in is the 18-55mm OIS 2.8-4 zoom lens, would make an ideal walk about lens for the X-Pro 1, something I currently miss with it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I use flash with the X-Pro1 but purely strobist manual. TTL etc with dedicated flashes gets old after a while ... Dedicated expensive flashes are just an unnecessary extravagance especially if you use several camera systems.

As regards X-E1 I might get one as a 2nd body / kit lens to complement my X-Pro1 and lenses.

V

Vivek

I use flash with the X-Pro1 but purely strobist manual. TTL etc with dedicated flashes gets old after a while ... Dedicated expensive flashes are just an unnecessary extravagance especially if you use several camera systems.
I agree it isn't convenient nor healthy when using several systems or switch from one to the other.

The XE-1 interests me. Both my queries (EVF and the price tag) are settled. :)

If there comes a Fuji to NEX adapter (to use manual lenses), it would be swell.

Terry

Yes,
Looks excellent. I've pre-ordered the silver kit version. Give a substantial discount over the lens only and makes a second body relatively inexpensive.

iiiNelson

Seriously considering dropping the NEX and Micro 4/3 cameras and moving to the Fuji X system. It seems like they are able to do in less than a year what Sony hasn't done in nearly 3 years with the NEX system - provide a good base of native lenses. They both have M-mount adapters as well. Gonna wait until after Photokina though to see what Leica comes up with too.

Ben Rubinstein

Having loved the X100 for all it's faults after playing with one for a few hours, I'd really really love to buy this one. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm about to go into debt for a while for a 5D3 I don't want to buy but have to as one of my 5Dc's has just died of 7 years of serious pro use.