The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji S5 Pro

K

KLYShots

Does anyone still use an S5 Pro? I have a chance to pick up an S5 and was wondering how it compares to the D700 as a portrait camera. I hear it renders warmer and more pleasing colors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Kai

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Kal, I owned and used two of these at different times... beautiful images but a continually frustrating interface, for me (especially playback of RAWs only).

Lovely lovely images, though. Did you know it's based on a D200 body (I am sure you did); this is no bad thing, IMHO.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I still have mine, although the AF doesn't work, so it sees little use (have to get one of those Katzeye screens) (and the new Zeiss 135/2.0). Colours and DR are out of this world beautiful. Don't expect the same resolution as the D700 though, and ISO beyond 800 isn't much to write home about. Apart from that, it's a wonderful camera.

As for user interface and speed, Kit apparently didn't try the S3. Compared to that camera, the S5 is the equivalent of a Lamborghini on steroids. At max DR, the S3 can do 3 RAW shots in around 45 seconds. With the S5, the workflow is relatively fluent.

Elderly

I've not used my S5Pro for a couple of years but as it was my first DSLR I still have a strange fondness for it.

Last edited:

gia_g

I just traded my new d7000 with a hand grip for a old abused s5 pro

I love the s5. It fits my hand much better. Its colors are better. I got so tired of weird green cast portraits. so far I find the s5 sensor more filmy than the d7000 although about half the size resolution. its a lot like the d700 in response really as far as color space and what the pics look like.