The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

issues with cheap m mount adapter

scifitographer

i bought a cheap $25 m mount adapter that i purchased before fuji released the official adapter to use with the voigtlander 12mm m mount lens. the two have worked perfectly until last week when every photo taken with that lens was out of focus, even when set to infinity. the lens no longer fits snugly into the adapter and pulls forward away from the adapter. the lens focuses properly when i push the lens back into the proper position. i don't have another m mount lens to try and don't have access to another adapter.

i'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with the cheap adapters becoming loose or is this possibly a problem with the lens. i've inspected the adapter and the lens, neither have any loose parts, the problem is how they attach. do i shell out for the fuji adapter and hope that solves the problem? or has anyone heard of issues with the voigtlander lens mount wearing away (google was no help)?

The symptoms you describe suggest me that the locking pin of the adapter does not enter properly into the corresponding hole provided in the lens bayonet. If this is the case the lens will not stay in place and the lens/sensor distance will be too large to allow infinity focus.

scifitographer

thanks.

went to check the locking pin, it fit into the hole fine. but inside the adapter ring and almost underneath locking pin there was something stuck between the metal and plastic. i removed that and now the metal ring is loose against the plastic.

when i get home from work i'll try to tighten the screws or glue the metal ring down if that fails. i'll let you know how things work out..

scifitographer

removed a little bit more of the debris. it looks like little black plastic shavings wedged between the metal and plastic. had to get the led flashlight out to see if there was anymore in there. the metal ring was really loose after that. tightened the screws down with a paperclip. it's tighter now, but a little concerned about where the black plastic shavings came from.

i'll probably spring for the fuji adapter soon, but at least i know it isn't the lens. the lens isn't focusing perfectly yet, but pretty close. i think it'll be good once i tighten the screws down properly with a screwdriver at home.

jlm

Workshop Member
to work properly, the body side of an M bayonet needs a spring action to force the flanges together. i have see nit done two was: an actual metal leaf spring or a portion of the flange is sort of necked down and bent to act like a spring. fit and tolerance is critical, as is strength of materials. should not be plastic in there

scifitographer

the lens and body mounts are metal. the outside covering of the adapter is plastic. and everything is screwed together. so as far as i could work out (in minimal light at work and without taking the whole thing apart) the screws go from metal m mount (with metal spring) through a skinny piece of plastic that i think is attached to the outside covering to the metal fuji mount for the camera body. the plastic was between the plastic inside and the metal m mount.

took it out after work this morning, was able to take photos with the 12mm once again. fuji adapter ordered, don't want a repeat and afraid of getting plastic bits from the adapter into the camera.