Site Sponsors

Thread: Fujifilm X-Pro1 vs. Olympus OMD E-M5

Post Thanks / Like

Fujifilm X-Pro1 vs. Olympus OMD E-M5

I bought a Fujifilm X-Pro1 but now having a E-M5 loaner I get second thoughts.

Pro E-M5

- Smaller size for storage and transport
    - Lens selection
    - AF better
    - IBIS
    - More snappy in handling
    - Less expensive

Pro Fuji

- Larger size for handling (feels more substantial)
    - 35mm f/1.4 is nice but Pana 25mm f/1.4 fine too
    - No AA filter (not sure the raw converters take an advantage out of this)
    - Easier to get shallow DOF
    - OVF (which I hardly use because it it not precise)
    - Nice JPEGs but Raw is still an issue
    - Feels more like a classic camera

Open Questions:

- is the X-Pro1 really that much better at higher ISO?

Please join in with your thoughts.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fujifilm X-Pro1 vs. Olympus OMD E-M5

Bigger pixels and sensor on the Fuji...? That's important to some people, I am sure.

Is cost a factor?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own neither and do not plan to buy either one of them based on the specs.

Sony's NEX-6 is a far better choice for me. I plan to get 2 of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier in spring this years I wanted to buy a Fuji Pro X1 so hard, but could not get one! So I bought the EM5 which I am still happily shooting.

I am actually VERY happy with the Olympus, especially because of the smaller size and the much bigger choice of lenses for m43. I will most probably keep my m43 system as my travel cam, as long as no special requirements are needed, for this I will use my D800E with selected lenses.

I think that Fuji needs some more time to get the X system up and running!

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the people I know who have both cameras swear by their X-Pro 1. For me, the lack of great support of X-Pro 1 files in LR/ACR is a major problem. I won't shoot JPEG on any camera unless it's part of my mobile phone.

X-Pro 1 seems a fair bit better at high ISO, but I think some of that comes down to Fuji JPEG processing, which has always been very sophisticated. X-Pro 1 JPEGs vs optimally processed E-M5 RAW files is closer competition, with the X-Pro 1 still coming out nearly a stop better, but depending on the application the excellent E-M5 IBIS may make up for that.

For the reasons you mentioned plus diverse choice of lenses with Micro 4/3 (fisheye, super tele, megazoom, etc), I'm not tempted to go from E-M5 to X-Pro 1 or XE-1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found that the Olympus was a better camera on paper than it was in use. I just don't like its handling. Too cramped, though I don't have large hands.

M43 certainly has a larger choice of lenses, but I think this is an advantage only if it is relevant to you. If you need a broad range of lenses then sure, it makes sense. But if the current Fuji selection, and the lenses coming over the nect year or so are what you use, then you are covered. Most people I know shoot with a few lenses, and often have a bunch they never use.

I can't really help at higher ISO as I rarely shoot over 1600. I love the Fuji for what it does at lower ISOs.

I find the size issue irrelevant. For me it's the overall bulk and weight of the kit I will likely carry on any given day. Viewed this way, the difference between these two cameras is immaterial.

The AF on the Olympus is certainly snappier. Again, for my shooting it is irrelevant.

So far the RAW issues with the Fuji have not affected me; they are absent for a lot of subject matter.

What I like is the size of the camera, and its overall gestalt / user interface. I rarely need to look at a menu, being able to see key settings at a glance. I also find the OVF marvellous. It took a little work to understand it, but its a beautiful way to shoot and I don't have issues with the accuracy. I also like the EVF, but have yet to find any EVF which comes close to the experience of an OVF.

My biggest love in the X-Pro 1 is the IQ.

The thing is, I really think it's down to personal factors. How do you feel when using the cameras? Which one is more fluid in operation, and gives you the results you need?

It's a very, very long time since I have wanted to use a camera as much as I have the X-Pro 1.

Post Thanks / Like

>The thing is, I really think it's down to personal factors. How do you feel when using the cameras? Which one is more fluid in operation, and gives you the results you need?

I agree, The main thing which bothers me with the XP1 Raws is the color bleeding.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >The thing is, I really think it's down to personal factors. How do you feel when using the cameras? Which one is more fluid in operation, and gives you the results you need?

I agree, The main thing which bothers me with the XP1 Raws is the color bleeding.
    But isn't that primarily a problem with some of the existing raw converters? I would certainly expect that to be resolved eventually. I also have to say that I find the X-Pro1 (and the X100 too) to be a pure joy to use. And the IQ still amazes me every time I use it. But as stated above, it is really a matter of personal preference.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

> I would certainly expect that to be resolved eventually.

Fingers crossed.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the X-Pro 1 and the OM-D. I find I use them for different things.

I much prefer the UI of the X-Pro 1. Simple and elegant.

I treat the X-Pro 1 much as my old Leica M8, and my OM-D much as my old Sony A900.

I found the OM-D too small for me unless I added the grip and then it was as large as the X-Pro 1 with its case fitted, so absolutely no benefit there.

Infrared seems to work better on the X-Pro 1, though I need to do more testing there.

Where I would use the OM-D over the X-Pro 1 is fast moving action, telephoto wildlife, travel snaps. So although the OM-D is a very versatile camera, there is just something about the X-Pro 1 which I can't put my finger on, that makes me want to use it more.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also have both the EM-5 and Xpro1 and having just taken both, each with three lenses on a sailing holiday to the Greek Cyclades Islands, the XP1 was only used for 30 shots as I used the little OMD virtually exclusively.

Analysing my reasons:

* I am more comfortable with a DSLR type camera
    * The m4/3rds has a nice range of zoom lenses....I took two!
    * OMD far better for action shots, essential when sailing!
    * OMD has far faster AF
    * I can process OMD raw files in my favourite Capture One Pro software

On the other hand:

* XP1 is far better for land and seascapes and IR
    * XP1 is also superior for bokeh, especially with the 35/1.4 lens

Another holiday coming up in January 2013, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico and San Francisco. It will be another headache deciding what to take!

it will probably be both again
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you don't mind but I am a little off topic here. I have both the OM-D and an X100.

The OM-D is more a "tool camera" for me, a device to get a photographic job done - an assignment camera perhaps, where I may need to choose a lens or other accessory. I've found the OM quite intuitive to use, the OS I learnt quickly, the EVF only just good enough for me. I like the files from the Panasonic 20mm, very HQ. The 14-45 images are good but less so. The OM-D suits my hands almost perfect (they must have modeled it for someone my size) but that may be because I used an OM4 for a couple of decades and the OM-D feels close.

The X100 is more something I will take as a walkabout camera, a machine to help perhaps make an "art" image, a camera I take when I am trying use to "see", rather than a firm photographic task at hand. Its a camera that works quickly and easily as I find the A-mode intuitive - it encourages me to think about aperture/shutter more but delivers fast. The OVF offers a view that encourages me to get the framing right, its more precise, the OM EVF is a bit more guess and hope its gunna be right. I love the files from the Fuji. Even the jpgs are nice IMO and often usable for my needs.

I think they compliment each other, perhaps a X-Pro1 would as well. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably have to dump both and buy something else as I could not decide.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I also have both. I prefer the X 1Pro for the design and for the OVF.
    On almost every other aspect I find the OMD superior (speed, AF, lens choice, raw file usability, weatherproofing), image IQ is equivalent and very much attributable to the used lenses even though at very high ISO the Fuji is in my opinion sligtly better.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I also own both.
    Overall I prefer the IQ from the x-pro 1 without having done technical comparisons. I believe one can see that it is a larger sensor.
    I also like the handling of the x-pro 1 a lot!
    f-stop at the lens, exp comp very fast and all without having to look on the display or the viewfinder.
    Different to you I use the OVF quite often when using the x-pro 1.

The OMD I take out when I want to use zoom or tele or need very fast AF.

Sizewise I prefer the handling of the Fuji.

The problem I also use Leica M and the Fuji has many similarities with my M-Leica so I am not yet sure if it makes sense to keep both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Another holiday coming up in January 2013, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico and San Francisco. It will be another headache deciding what to take!

it will probably be both again
    Dave, if it gives you a headache then I can go instead

How did you find your OM-D did versus how the A900 may have?
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both. I prefer the handling of the Fuji better. The controls are in exactly the right spots for me and I just feel more comfortable using the camera.

However, this weekend I was only shooting kids at various sporting matches. I only used two lenses and the OMD and 75mm f1.8 and 100-300mm. These shots would have been impossible on the Fuji. So at the end of the day the OMD can do everything and more than the Fuji - however in the range that I can use the Fuji it is my first choice.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post

Uwe,

Your pros / Cons list makes a reasonable summary of features. Which of the two cameras do you prefer to use?

I understand the frustration around the bleeding. When PP the photographs I care about (my output is print; I don't put a lot online), I very carefully look over my pixels and make adjustments and 'repairs'.

What I also accept though is that there is a balance. There is no doubt that some tiny issues (like CA) don't bother some people, but for me they can alter the print. At the same time, there are some things that won't influence the purpose of the print, which is to reflect what I saw when making the image.

So far, only a few of my Fuji images have revealed issues that I cannot fix and frustrate me in my final output.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I don't have an x-pro1, so perhaps I shouldn't chip in, but I do have an M9, and for me, they are two quite different animals. The OMD is fast, and really does get the job done - even at high ISO - I like using it as well, but having set it up I rarely venture into the menus.
    The M9 has better image quality, a much simpler and nicer interface, and is much more suited to landscape, candid's and photography with 'intent'

I imagine the distinction is the same for the X-pro1, which means that perhaps the subject should be X-pro1 PLUS the OMD!

I think the OMD/M9 co-operate nicely together, I'm sure the same goes for the OMD/X-pro1.

Tom's dilemma between the x-pro1 and the M9 seems a much more difficult decision.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

>* XP1 is far better for land and seascapes

Here is where detail loss due to smudging can hurt

>* XP1 is also superior for bokeh, especially with the 35/1.4 lens

Big point for some shots.

>Which of the two cameras do you prefer to use?

The XP1. But also lenses matter and I have no zoom right now for the XP1. I use the 14-54mm 4/3 lens on the OMD and this is a great range.

Yes, the larger sensor shows with the XP1 by showing more smoothness.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Dave, if it gives you a headache then I can go instead

How did you find your OM-D did versus how the A900 may have?
    Dave, there are headaches and headaches!!
    OMD/A900.....very much lighter and smaller!

Whilst I still have the A900 (and A77) which are both superb cameras but I think that the A900 will go soon, I still need some more with the OMD..this next trip will I hope determine whether I throw my lot in with m4/3rds and XP1
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I still have the A900 (and A77) which are both superb cameras but I think that the A900 will go soon, I still need some more with the OMD..this next trip will I hope determine whether I throw my lot in with m4/3rds and XP1
    Thanks for that Dave, I should mention that I am available in January to help carry your A900 kit
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

The OMD might be a real reason to go for, I would simply forget the XP1, as it is not mature enough.

I am very much intrigued by the A99 and would I not already own the D800E I would definitely buy the A99 and move back to Sony/Zeiss again :-) But the A99 (except the relatively short battery life) has all I want.

Just my 5c

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I imagine the distinction is the same for the X-pro1, which means that perhaps the subject should be X-pro1 PLUS the OMD!
    Very sensible.

I would simply forget the XP1, as it is not mature enough.
    Not sure what you mean by this. if you mean that the system is not mature in the sense of a small range of lenses I would agree, though that will change rapidly. In every other sense I disagree entirely, with the sometimes exception of RAW; an attraction for me is that the Fuji is based on very mature knowledge and principles. It just works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Thanks for that Dave, I should mention that I am available in January to help carry your A900 kit
    Dave if you knew the number of long FL G and Zeiss lenses you might want to retract that sentiment!! I shall be taking 26 days to do the round trip and I need a lightweight but excellent digital kit. A real test for the little OMD e-M5 IMHO. Either it or the Sony's get sold afterwards.

I am really hopeful for the little OMD though, based on my recent trip to the Cyclades Islands.....still processing, but some images soon!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to the photos from the recent trip Dave.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave if you knew the number of long FL G and Zeiss lenses you might want to retract that sentiment!! I shall be taking 26 days to do the round trip and I need a lightweight but excellent digital kit. A real test for the little OMD e-M5 IMHO. Either it or the Sony's get sold afterwards.

I am really hopeful for the little OMD though, based on my recent trip to the Cyclades Islands.....still processing, but some images soon!
    HI Dave
    I spent 2 weeks in Crete shooting with the OMD - it was unfailingly good, and there is hardly a shot where the camera came up short (plenty, I'm afraid, where I came up short!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

When are we going to see them Jono? The good ones that is!
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

As another dual owner, the OMD has pretty well taken over my shooting. The bag I carry everything is just so small and I'm covered from 7 mm to 300. The Fuji now just kind of sits forlornly at home. I find the body too big now. Love the 35 and the 60. Love the output - wish there was a better RAW converter.
    I went on a 4/3s trip to Montana last month. OMD, 645D and a Fuji 680. no Fuji shots, maybe 150 645 and 65megs of OMD. But then again it was ugly out while I was there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hsteeves View Post
    As another dual owner, the OMD has pretty well taken over my shooting. The bag I carry everything is just so small and I'm covered from 7 mm to 300. The Fuji now just kind of sits forlornly at home. I find the body too big now. Love the 35 and the 60. Love the output - wish there was a better RAW converter.
    I went on a 4/3s trip to Montana last month. OMD, 645D and a Fuji 680. no Fuji shots, maybe 150 645 and 65megs of OMD. But then again it was ugly out while I was there.
    A good illustration of the choice really being very personal; what is important to you, what you shoot, the range you require etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    A good illustration of the choice really being very personal; what is important to you, what you shoot, the range you require etc.
    Pelao, you are so right. When asked by a beginner what camera should I buy, I always reply with a question.....what do you intend to do with the resulting images?

I have to repeatedly ask myself the same question and even after over 60 years of owning cameras of all types, it is only just getting easier to answer!

So far the OMD satisfies all I need from a camera. Enough IQ to produce A3 size prints, album prints and digital images for projection. The dynamic range is excellent, files are reasonably robust, but I do have some little doubts about it's high ISO performance on a few of my night time images from the Cyclades trip all processed from RAW.

I need to re-visit those images and apply some noise reduction..........something I have never had to do with the XP1 or Sony images. It's not a deal breaker for me anyway as I rarely use high ISO and it's no worse than the A900 (not as good as the A77 though) and infinitely better than my old Leica R9/DMR outfit.

I have always shunned 4/3rds because of the inherent lower DR and ISO capability in a body hardly any smaller then the smallest APSc DSLR bodies.

That has all changed with m4/3rds and the OMD in particular. I have always appreciated the quality of Zuiko lenses so it is all coming together now for me.
    Cheers, Dave
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

.That has all changed with m4/3rds and the OMD in particular. I have always appreciated the quality of Zuiko lenses so it is all coming together now for me.
    That's a great place to be; getting the results you need from a camera and lenses you enjoy using. I'm in a similar position with the X-Pro 1. It's not as versatile as the Olympus ( which I looked at very carefully before settling on the Fuji), but it does what I need, and does it very well.

All of which means you can focus on shooting, not so much on the gear.

Post Thanks / Like

some one will just have to tell me how to shoot moving things at night with my OMD - I'll even take moving things in daylight. And how not to look at nice shiny new lenses and tell myself how badly I need them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And how not to look at nice shiny new lenses and tell myself how badly I need them.
    Hi There
    Nobody around here can show you how to do that - with the possible exception of Rayvan, we're all terrible GAS victims!

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested, I have a nearly new OM-D kit for sale in the Gear FS forum.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Braeside wrote:

I found the OM-D too small for me unless I added the grip and then it was as large as the X-Pro 1 with its case fitted, so absolutely no benefit there.
    I had an OM-D for a while, and I found I needed half of the grip too for it to feel secure while carrying around, and then the size difference was not significant—AND there is the point about small being too small, too. Neither are pocket cameras—and if this is so, then you want the body that feels the best to you. I did not buy the X-Pro 1 I played with in Torino, because it seemed there was no real size/weight advantage over whatever it was I was shooting with at the time. As well, I did not find the EVF/OVF completely convincing.

However, with the X-E1 coming (I ordered as soon as it was announced), I believe that moderate-sized mirrorless will have come of age, for me, especially with the X-Trans sensor. The UI looks perfect, as is the location of the EVF, compared to the OM-D. And the grip and thumb rest look right too. The JPEGs SOOC look excellent on both the X-Pro 1 and the X-E1, so I will either use Fuji's Raw converter to set WB only, and PP in PS and/or wait for Aperture to understand this sensor. And in the meantime, I will shoot both Raw and fine JPEGs.

I have located a 30/1.4. I plan only to get the 14/2.8 and the 60/2.4; I am trying to get the ultimate three-lens kit!

To answer Ustein's original q., I just do not think there is enough lens-and-body-plus-grip size/weight difference for that to be the main criterion of choice; for me, it's sensor size, optics, and UI.

d2mini

I have had a fuji x-e1 on preorder but I think I'm going to cancel that as I just ordered the Olympus OM-D EM-5 with the new Panny 12-35 for a few reasons.

1) Need a travel camera sooner than the fuji is being released.
    2) Features like the super fast focus, tilting screen, IBIS, weather sealing and a couple other things will probably outweigh fuji's slight advantage in IQ and sensor size. I do have a D800 and Nikon pro glass for critical work when needed, but the Oly should do just fine from what I've seen.
    3) I almost exclusively shoot raw
    4) Currently there is a much larger lens selection for m43.

I'll watch Fuji over the next couple years and let them get the kinks worked out. Love where they are heading, that's for sure. And if the Oly doesn't work out, not much is lost.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have an X-Pro1 and a pre order for an X-E1 because of the improved remote control and automation. However, other than Leica, I have absolutely no desire to switch / return to the Olympus m4/3rds system after leaving after the E-P3 and the Oly silver primes.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's interesting.....I went to Utah with the X-Pro1 and the OMD, and the Oly never left my bag. Maybe it was because I wasn't shooting long, but the Fuji fulfilled all my needs.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    That's interesting.....I went to Utah with the X-Pro1 and the OMD, and the Oly never left my bag. Maybe it was because I wasn't shooting long, but the Fuji fulfilled all my needs.

R
    I can understand that totally. The XP1 is by far the better camera for serious landscape work, in fact a FF camera would be even better IMHO!

The OMD is a great lightweight all round camera, great for candid portraits and close detail and 1/1 macro work. Put a good 300mm lens on and you have a very useful wildlife kit weighing a fraction of it's APSc sensor equivalent. The latter would have the edge for action shots though!
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can understand that totally. The XP1 is by far the better camera for serious landscape work, in fact a FF camera would be even better IMHO!

The OMD is a great lightweight all round camera, great for candid portraits and close detail and 1/1 macro work. Put a good 300mm lens on and you have a very useful wildlife kit weighing a fraction of it's APSc sensor equivalent. The latter would have the edge for action shots though!
    That's the one . . . what you really need is a FF M and an OMD.

Just this guy you know

Landshark

.Besides the IQ of the XPro one of my favorite features is the OVF love looking through glass instead of a monitor (EVF).
    As too size I find the buttons on the OMD way too soft and small.
    Also the OMD does feel better with the grip but once you put it on the camera grows by a lot, worth the size when shooting with the longer lenses. Which brings me to the reason I still have my OMDs long lenses and IBIS, this is the one area where the OMD does much more than the XPro. The IBIS on the OMD is just amazing, the strongest feature and reason to buy an OMD. The gap on the wide angles is closing but the long lens option are all M4/3. True M4/3 has a better wider selection of zooms, but honestly I do not want zooms on these kinds of cameras.
    Both cameras have things that fall off when I put them into their bags, The OMD the eyepiece falls off a lot when it gets caught on something in the bag, the XPro is those lens caps that fall off all the time

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - yes I already lost the eyepiece rubber part for my OMD. I eventually managed to buy a replacement from Luton Cameras.

A tip, if you put the flash on the OMD then it stops the eyepiece from from coming off. However I never use the flash and it gets caught on my hat brim all the time.
    David Anderson