The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on the 18-55 lens?

monza

My X-E1 and kit lens will arrive tomorrow—I have on-sold the kit lens to another member, because I am disciplining myself to the 30 and the 60. Of course, I might buy one later!
Kit, I'll be sending it out tomorrow!

I have one silver 18-55 kit available if anyone is looking...see the classifieds. :)

Post in fun thread also...

Mine just arrived! Two quick pics of Houston before I have to go out...
Just used the jpg. The camera feels pretty responsive. The body is much lighter than i thought it would be. The zoom lens adds some weight. Overall it feels good in my hands. Shot at f/4, ss- 1/30. ISO 800 I think. Nice out of focus area behind Houston and her ears are a little soft, which is nice shallow DofF for f/4. Will try to play with it some more this weekend. May need to pick up a small fixed lens. If you have any questions or want me to test something specific, let me know.

Cheers,
Josh

Braeside

Since I got this lens I have had little opportunity to use it due to ongoing house refurbishment. However I did get a brief chance today at dusk and I continue to admire the performance of the 18-55 on the XP-1.

"Take me to your Leader"

"The smaller Pod"

Last edited:

Bigkidneys

Took a few today with the XE1 and 18-55 in a low lit museum. Pretty good OIS with this lens. All are SOOC with some having the shadows raised due to me neglecting to put the EC back to 0.

soboyle

Anyone taking delivery of the X-E1 kit from B&H? This waiting is killing me. Have a shoot planned at Christmas, hoping delivery is before then.

Smoothjazz

I got my kit (X-E1 and 18-55 lens) from Samy's camera within 4 days of ordering it, even though the web page said it was backordered.

kuau

Workshop Member
After receiving my 18-55mm zoom for my X-E1, I sold my 35/1.4 and 60mm macro.
Since I am a F8-F11 kind of guy, IMHO the zoom is the way to go.]
Even at 18mm F8 very nice sharpness across the entire frame.
Now if the new version of C1 can really deliver, I will be a happy camper.

Braeside

I did consider selling my 60 macro after getting the 18-55 zoom, but have reconsidered, I'd lose too much money and I'd rather keep it and use it, as it is a great lens. I also will keep the small 18mm for similar reasons.

The 18-55 is the lens to get for travel though. The OIS is pretty useful too.

bmacw

I did consider selling my 60 macro after getting the 18-55 zoom, but have reconsidered, I'd lose too much money and I'd rather keep it and use it, as it is a great lens. I also will keep the small 18mm for similar reasons.

The 18-55 is the lens to get for travel though. The OIS is pretty useful too.
You should get the zoom, sell the 60 and pick up some old Minolta lens with adapter.