The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Great fun with the Fuji S1-S5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was looking for some oldish photos and while browsing through the folders from 5 or more years ago, I was struck by how much I liked the colours etc. of the photos from back then, mostly taken with the Fuji S3 and S5, some with the Olympus E-1.

So, I've decided to dig those cameras out from the closet and give them a more honorable life. Obviously a thread is needed for those "real" Super CCD Fujis.

Here's an oldie for starters, a studio shot taken in 2007.

S3 with Nikkor 50mm AF D @ f/11

tbhv55

It's easy to see, from this, why the S3 and S5 cameras are/were popular for portraits, weddings etc.... excellent colours!:thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With 4 months between posts, this thread won't advance quickly, but here's a photo to save it from the dark, dark dungeons of page 2.

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS

I should use the old Fujis more.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a bit slow this thread, but here's another photo. Maybe I should go back to the old S3 :rolleyes:
Photo is from 2006, but I think I have to pull that camera out of the box again.

Fuji S3 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF D @ f/2.4

bensonga

Ok Jorgen....you convinced me. I ordered a S5 Pro from B&H Photo today for $299.

I'll try to post an image here next week.

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure that my subjects won't be as attractive as yours! ;)

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ok Jorgen....you convinced me. I ordered a S5 Pro from B&H Photo today for $299.

I'll try to post an image here next week.

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure that my subjects won't be as attractive as yours! ;)

Gary
:ROTFL: Congratulations

I have to admit that these files are much nicer than I remembered them. I will certainly start using these cameras for non-commercial work again :)
Be aware that the S5 has a bit stronger AA filter than the S3, so you can and should be a bet tougher when sharpening.

Funny detail: I posted the last photo on the FB page of the subject, who is now 9 years older. She was very happy to see the old photo :)

bensonga

Of course, I had to pick up a Nikon MB-D200 vertical battery grip for it too....only $59. Buying 8 year old technology is certainly easier on the wallet than the latest and greatest gear.

I printed out some S5 pro full res sample images I found on the web tonight and they look quite good, so I think I'll have fun with this camera. I just got a Sigma DP2 Merrill also, so I will be exploring the non-conventional sensor side of life for awhile.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

I realize this is not the type of image which plays to the strengths of the Fuji S5 Pro, but I happened to be in my favorite coffee shop shortly after receiving the camera. I would be the first to admit that I'm not very good at taking casual pics of people....so no beautiful skin tones here.

Now of course, I'm wondering how different the images from a Nikon D200 and Fuji S5 Pro might look. I wonder if B&H Photo has a nice D200 in stock. ;)

Gary

S5 Pro and Nikon 28mm f1.8G lens....at f1.8.

hsteeves

what filter would I need for a S5 uv/ir to shoot normal colour? I have one sitting in a box somewhere. Along with the D200 twins(used old digital stuff is inexpensive, wish those antique Leicas were like that)

UHDR

s5 was my longest go-to camera for best part of 6 years. even now i use it as colour referencing tool. seriously impressive camera. :D

rayyan

Jorgen, those are wonderful. I feel they are very texture like..specially the second one.

Stay well.