Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Raw support coming to C1 Pro soon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Raw support coming to C1 Pro soon

Quote Originally Posted by sandymc View Post
    Both renderings are pretty good. Everybody needs to make their own decisions, and I'm obviously a bit biased .

But if I may point out, take a look at the blue thread where it runs across the area of orange threads. In the AccuRaw rendering, the thread stays blue. In the other rendering - not.

Sandy
    Good point,

but AccuRAW is plenty of colour artifacts, you can see them in the milk glass, I think all the carton of oat milk
    more coloured patterns in the green rectangle with stars inside (upper right), take a look at the distorted cob(bottle label) and so on

yes, C1 7.02 beta show something of those, of course

See the processed jpg out of camera:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggoyakdwye...E1_jpg_OOC.jpg

We are used to get better results from the RAW files,
    but at this moment...

I wonder why Fuji isnīt sharing knowledge to implement a better processing of RAW files

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pardon me for asking this again, why would one bother with these if the bundled SilkyPix works?

I can understand developers playing with these but why would an user put up with these nearly there softwares? Especially when they are not free or inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Pardon me for asking this again, why would one bother with these if the bundled SilkyPix works?

I can understand developers playing with these but why would an user put up with these nearly there softwares? Especially when they are not free or inexpensive.
    Because Silkypix is far from perfection:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2rnvpf9i9ts4rr/silkypix.jpg

if you prefer download the original RAF file here and try it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1oq6q1qh7ie1bww/_DSF0005.RAF

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, in that case (if true), I would only conclude that the camera is seriously flawed and is of very limited use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Hi Vivek,

1. Silkypix is far from ideal, and is not in many people's normal work flow. It doesn't get the maximum out of the raw files. Do most people with Canon use the Canon supplied software? - No - thought not.

2. 'Playing' is perhaps not what these developers are doing, they are adding X-trans sensor camera support for their software, and it is to be welcomed. They are not necessarily all expensive either, especially if you already have invested in their software.

3. The Fuji is of limited use, I find I use it mainly for taking photographs, but seriously, it take superb photos and the out of camera JPGs are great for almost every use, but having a good raw processor available is nice as a bonus.
    David Anderson
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand fully well that SilkyPix (work flow) is not everyone's cup of tea (though I have no problems using it).

However, if there is no RAW developer out there that can not get the "maximum" out of Fuji X-Trans RAW files, how would we know what the "maximum" is and if it ever can be achieved.

Please understand that I am not just typing these out for fun and I ask these questions in all seriousness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etermes View Post
    Good point,

but AccuRAW is plenty of colour artifacts, you can see them in the milk glass, I think all the carton of oat milk
    more coloured patterns in the green rectangle with stars inside (upper right), take a look at the distorted cob(bottle label) and so on

yes, C1 7.02 beta show something of those, of course
    Hi

Thanks for sharing these files, including the RAW. I too have copies of beta C1 and AccuRaw. I would prefer not to comment on the C1 results as beta testers are supposed to be adhering to a NDA. As regards the AccuRaw on this image, try moving the demosiac sliders. I moved chroma suppression all the way to the right, luma one notch to the right and post-mosaic one notch to the right - and I do not really know what I am doing with these!

Looks a lot better to me than the default.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vivek, I see your point of view entirely. Your question is getting into the philosophical.

When we are dealing with demosaicing there appears to be no absolute right way to do it, as it always is based on approximations and there are compromises between resolution of fine detail and artefacts, though Fuji certainly seem to have made a good attempt at getting the in camera conversions to work very well.

One thing is for sure, Adobe aren't doing the raw files justice.

We are of course discussing results from beta software, and it isn't perhaps fair to pixel peep at this stage, though having the opportunity to do so and give feedback to the developers is exciting and no doubt helpful to them.

I have not expressed a preference for one over the other publicly, apart from to berate Adobe who have deservedly had plenty of bad press over this and done nothing to help themselves or their users. Apple, well I wonder if they are interested?
    David Anderson
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lee, I should have added that the AccuRaw version was with no chroma, luma or post correction. It can be tweaked quite a bit to taste as you have found, and sharpened. Nice to have the choice at least.
    Last edited by Braeside; 28th December 2012 at 06:15. Reason: typos
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sandy

I am impressed with your beta version of Accuraw.

Could I be a beta tester? I currently shoot with both the Fuji X1Pro and the Leica M9P

Woody Spedden

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This update is now live. We'll have a full article up in a few hours.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    This update is now live. We'll have a full article up in a few hours.
    Doug - I noticed in your email this morning that the camera support is "preliminary." Is there any more detail on what that means realistically?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by corposant View Post
    Doug - I noticed in your email this morning that the camera support is "preliminary." Is there any more detail on what that means realistically?
    Absolutely. The designation "preliminary" is used when the camera is first supported and the image quality engineers are satisfied enough with their R+D to release it publicly, but wish to indicate that they will still be tweaking their algorithms as they receive more feedback.

During the private beta period Phase One's engineers solicited and received many raw files spanning a lot of scenarios, ISOs, shutter speeds etc and subject matter. However, nothing can substitute for wide public availability.

So for instance if you have a particular Fuji raw file which shows a strange anomaly or otherwise doesn't live up to the very high standards for Capture One processing then you can submit a support case, provide the file, and one of the engineers will poke and prod at the file and, as needed, make minor tweaks to the math. Examples of fringe cases might include unusually high or low WB, longer exposures, very high ISOs, etc.

So in practice this means you should expect very good quality of conversion (living up to the standards expected from Capture One) but should be on the lookout for fringe/unusual cases that aren't perfect, and should also expect that the processing might change slightly in the next version.

Improvements are usually at the edge of the performance envelope so if there are notable improvements still to be made they would likely show up most obviously in shots at higher ISO, longer exposures, unusually high or low ambient WB, detail in strongly saturated colors etc.

Note these observations are from my general/overall experience and general/past conversations with Phase One's engineers. I have not spoken to them specifically about this specific camera since the beginning of the beta period.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded Capture One 7.2 , the program supports now all the fuji X series cameras,
    I tried some Raf files , Capture One 7.2 performs well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question:

I have been thinking about getting a Fuji X camera and would like to know if when processing a RAW file with C1, can you can assign the Fuji film looks to the image or is that strictly an in camera feature?

Thanks!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jim
    I think the choice of Fuji film simulations applies only to the Fuji in camera jpegs.
    I didn't find any reference in C1 to Provia, Astia or velvea, others may know this better than I.

The jpeg image quality in the Fuji X cameras is very good , almost as good as the processed raw files, and processing can be applied to the jpeg files.
    They are great cameras with some of the best image quality, I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter.

I have basically narrowed down the choice of cameras to the X-E1 (while waiting for the next generation based on the X100S) or a GH3. They each have features I like which makes the choice harder. The Fuji cameras have that film like look, the traditional manual controls, the Q menu and what appears to be the closest IQ (dimensional appearance) to a Leica that I have seen. The GH3 has video (if I ever needed it), articulating touchscreen, faster focusing, weather resistant and wider lens selection (at least for now).

It's proving to be a tougher decision than I thought it would be

Jim
    Last edited by JimGoshorn; 14th January 2013 at 20:27. Reason: changed wording

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimGoshorn View Post
    I have a question:

I have been thinking about getting a Fuji X camera and would like to know if when processing a RAW file with C1, can you can assign the Fuji film looks to the image or is that strictly an in camera feature?

Thanks!

Jim
    There are many styles and presets built in and available for Capture One as well as the means of adjusting to your own taste.
    Capture One has an excellent color editor which can be used by itself as well as being one of the adjustments using the local adjustments brush.
    Look at the tutorial videos on the Phase One site and make use of the trial.
    I have used Capture One for many years and it is now better than ever in my opinion.
    maurice da silva solis