The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw support coming to C1 Pro soon

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug - I noticed in your email this morning that the camera support is "preliminary." Is there any more detail on what that means realistically?
Absolutely. The designation "preliminary" is used when the camera is first supported and the image quality engineers are satisfied enough with their R+D to release it publicly, but wish to indicate that they will still be tweaking their algorithms as they receive more feedback.

During the private beta period Phase One's engineers solicited and received many raw files spanning a lot of scenarios, ISOs, shutter speeds etc and subject matter. However, nothing can substitute for wide public availability.

So for instance if you have a particular Fuji raw file which shows a strange anomaly or otherwise doesn't live up to the very high standards for Capture One processing then you can submit a support case, provide the file, and one of the engineers will poke and prod at the file and, as needed, make minor tweaks to the math. Examples of fringe cases might include unusually high or low WB, longer exposures, very high ISOs, etc.

So in practice this means you should expect very good quality of conversion (living up to the standards expected from Capture One) but should be on the lookout for fringe/unusual cases that aren't perfect, and should also expect that the processing might change slightly in the next version.

Improvements are usually at the edge of the performance envelope so if there are notable improvements still to be made they would likely show up most obviously in shots at higher ISO, longer exposures, unusually high or low ambient WB, detail in strongly saturated colors etc.

Note these observations are from my general/overall experience and general/past conversations with Phase One's engineers. I have not spoken to them specifically about this specific camera since the beginning of the beta period.

Peter Leyenaar

I downloaded Capture One 7.2 , the program supports now all the fuji X series cameras,
I tried some Raf files , Capture One 7.2 performs well.

JimGoshorn

I have a question:

I have been thinking about getting a Fuji X camera and would like to know if when processing a RAW file with C1, can you can assign the Fuji film looks to the image or is that strictly an in camera feature?

Thanks!

Jim

Peter Leyenaar

Hello Jim
I think the choice of Fuji film simulations applies only to the Fuji in camera jpegs.
I didn't find any reference in C1 to Provia, Astia or velvea, others may know this better than I.

The jpeg image quality in the Fuji X cameras is very good , almost as good as the processed raw files, and processing can be applied to the jpeg files.
They are great cameras with some of the best image quality, I hope this helps

JimGoshorn

Thanks Peter.

I have basically narrowed down the choice of cameras to the X-E1 (while waiting for the next generation based on the X100S) or a GH3. They each have features I like which makes the choice harder. The Fuji cameras have that film like look, the traditional manual controls, the Q menu and what appears to be the closest IQ (dimensional appearance) to a Leica that I have seen. The GH3 has video (if I ever needed it), articulating touchscreen, faster focusing, weather resistant and wider lens selection (at least for now).

It's proving to be a tougher decision than I thought it would be :argue:

Jim

Last edited:

archiM44

I have a question:

I have been thinking about getting a Fuji X camera and would like to know if when processing a RAW file with C1, can you can assign the Fuji film looks to the image or is that strictly an in camera feature?

Thanks!

Jim
There are many styles and presets built in and available for Capture One as well as the means of adjusting to your own taste.
Capture One has an excellent color editor which can be used by itself as well as being one of the adjustments using the local adjustments brush.
Look at the tutorial videos on the Phase One site and make use of the trial.
I have used Capture One for many years and it is now better than ever in my opinion.