The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X200 X-trans sensored rumors here please

raist3d

And then there is a significant, but less measurable advantage to the RX1, the unique and beautiful rendering of its Sonnar lens ........ As nice as the 23mm Fuji optics are, the lens glued to the Sony body is worth a considerable premium to me.
I am sure the rx1 lens is amazing but judging from the distortion and sharpness admittedly very small (IMHO) issues and fujis purposely compensation (new tech) for lens diffraction combined with the fact the x100 lens as we know is also pretty amazing I am not sure this difference will be that big. You do get shallower dof so that counts.

To me personally I see much better usability in fujis proposition. (I think we can agree that both manual and regular af will be notably faster) and you get not just an eve but also an off from the get go.

Not trying to say the rx1 is not great but I get a hunch total camera feel/use the fuji may very well give a very compelling experience that will rival and for many exceed, Sonys proposition. Nd filter anyone?

A part of me wishes fuji went the sigma way and did a 50, and 75 focal length equivalents of this model.

Raist

Ps: not trying to shoot down your preferences, just trying to paint a "full camera use" perspective. The rx1 is very nice indeed and I am speaking for myself.

raist3d

This looks to be an X100 enthusiasts dream upgrade. Only thing they left out (arguably) was an articulating lcd for waist level shooting.

I can certainly forgive them that. Seriously want one.

Brian
Me too- I honestly rather have a slim figured camera than the articulated LCD. They give you a hybrid ovf and a leaf shutter! ;-)

Honestly I wasn't expecting such a well thought out upgrade. Was checking the fuji USA fuji guys video and they made some really good improvements in the usability over the x100. Like they listened or something!

It really seems this camera takes care of virtually my fuji x mount and x100 critiques- af, operational speed- even when they had a good set of buttons, menus and levels to push/pull.

If I was a 35mm shooter I would be so over it.

- Ricardo

Brian Mosley

I love the 35mm perspective. It allows for close up environmental portrait... really giving a sense of 'being there' and I'm so glad that Fuji are developing their superb hybrid ovf/evf technology.

The articulating screen is seriously useful for shooting without sticking the camera in front of your face (I'm left eye dominant).

I'd be quite happy with a remote viewfinder app for Android... haven't Samsung already done this?

Cheers

Brian

soboyle

Any idea when these will be available?
Love the X100 IQ and handling, other than the slowish AF it's a stellar camera, this looks to be THE carry around camera for me.

raist3d

Bah, this is not good. My brain is trying to justify this camera for me. I was actually near convinced to buy the RX1 so getting this one shouldn't be that much of an effort if I was pretty convinced on the RX1....

- Raist

monza

I believe it's the same as the X-E1, which is faster, but i don't think it's 60fps fast...

Update from Fuji rep: mid April in USA.

Brian Mosley

Bah, this is not good. My brain is trying to justify this camera for me. I was actually near convinced to buy the RX1 so getting this one shouldn't be that much of an effort if I was pretty convinced on the RX1....

- Raist
Have you tried the RX1? I'm assuming you will have tried the X100. The feel is completely different. Like shooting with a classic, photographers camera vs a (slow focusing) point and shoot.

Personally, I think the RX1 is now hugely overpriced in comparison with the X100s.

No offence to any of the owners of the RX1 here - I could easily have taken that route if it had felt right in my hands.

What do you think?

Brian

raist3d

Have you tried the RX1? I'm assuming you will have tried the X100. The feel is completely different. Like shooting with a classic, photographers camera vs a (slow focusing) point and shoot.
I have tried the X100 (after firmware upgrades) but not the RX1. But I trust the RX1 will feel great given what I read. What I am most concerned is could I shoot 35mm, and that given the money, I wanted to make it my only camera for everything.

But that part is a huge huge jump for me. I researched if I could shoot an entire wedding at 35mm... looks like it's all possible, but it certainly puts some directions in style... still mulling that.

One huge win for the RX1 (and X100s) - leaf silent shutter. For street photography, to me, that's priceless. Same for covering an event silently.

Personally, I think the RX1 is now hugely overpriced in comparison with the X100s.
Certainly the price differential makes one think, particularly when I bet the Fuji will focus faster, and has a built in exclusive hybrid view finder.

No offence to any of the owners of the RX1 here - I could easily have taken that route if it had felt right in my hands.

What do you think?

Brian
(Speaking for myself) - Assuming I was ok and convinced to shoot 35mm, I would have to see a major quality improvement over the Fuji to go for the Sony. And that's the problem- I don't see it happening. A lot of the X100 "P&S" feel comes from its operational speed, and that seems like something Fuji very explicitly tackled with the X100S.

It's always good in the end to hold both and see how "it just feels" but most likely, I would just go for the Fuji. I have seen what Xtrans can do in low light with an X-Pro1/X-E1 (have tried those myself, personally) and it's pretty good. Given that, I would have a real hard time time paying slightly over twice the price for the Sony (in USA).

Also Sony has a couple of things that make the RX1 less usable to me- like lack of built in ND filter, lack of external battery charger (this is solvable but really makes me mad that Sony went that way).

It's hard to say though from my view if the RX1 is really over priced given it has a full frame F2.0 lens and a full frame sensor- at least on the "bill of manufacture" point of view. But yeah, harder to justify for me in pragmatic terms over the Fuji.

In either case my main deal breaker is I need to make sure I could do most of my photos at 35mm, because otherwise I really can't justify selling my K-5 and Q for that. Basically the K-5 is amazing and so is the Q, but the benefit (to me) is in using the same system for weddings/events and my personal fine art/street photography is what I am looking for here. I get great image quality everywhere and the best gut-feel intuitive connect with the equipment as I would be using it for everything.

(BTW, that's pretty how how I feel using the Q now, as it's been my main camera for the last year).

I could always wait for the inevitable "X-E1 II" which will carry the benefits the X100S just got- maybe even a 24MP Xtrans-who knows, that's yet another option, but having that silent leaf shutter is oh so appealing.

- Raist

raist3d

OH btw, if I had no Pentax Q I would probably be buying the X20. The X20 is actually my kind of camera with the new upgrades- but I would not shoot a wedding with it (as a main camera). Thus no benefit over what I currently have.

If I could shoot and sell work to shoot a wedding on an X20 I would make that my main camera (or do it with the Q if I could and keep using the Q- I love the Q).

- Raist

Brian Mosley

Just to be clear, if you've shot with the E-P1 plus 17mm f2.8... That's very similar to the RX1 in performance... The RX1 feels much more solid, expensive and smaller (at least the body, the lens sticks out more and feels like solid metal and glass), but the focusing speed is right up there with the E-P1.

The X100s will no doubt be a speed demon, and a pleasure to work with considering the simple external controls.

I think the X100s will be a hard core street shooting gem. As for the focal length, if I had to restrict myself to a single perspective this would be it... but for me, having the E-M5 keeps my options wide open and a full kit fits in a small LowePro messenger 100 bag.

I don't think image quality will be a major factor between the two... Other than the super narrow depth of field you can get with the RX1 (provided you can nail focus fast enough)

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

Just to be clear, if you've shot with the E-P1 plus 17mm f2.8... That's very similar to the RX1 in performance... The RX1 feels much more solid, expensive and smaller (at least the body, the lens sticks out more and feels like solid metal and glass), but the focusing speed is right up there with the E-P1.
I would expect the rx1 to be faster in af vs the ep1 but I have not used the rx1 so don't know. Surprised its about same speed.

The X100s will no doubt be a speed demon, and a pleasure to work with considering the simple external controls.

I think the X100s will be a hard core street shooting gem.
Oh I totally agree with that. I just don't usually shoot that focal length for what I do so just making sure first.

As for the focal length, if I had to restrict myself to a single perspective this would be it... but for me, having the E-M5 keeps my options wide open and a full kit fits in a small LowePro messenger 100 bag.
To me the magical focal is the Q/sigma do2 focal- say 45-47mm equiv.

I don't think image quality will be a major factor between the two... Other than the super narrow depth of field you can get with the RX1 (provided you can nail focus fast enough)
Those are my thoughts/expectations also.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

I think the X100s will be a hard core street shooting gem. As for the focal length, if I had to restrict myself to a single perspective this would be it... but for me, having the E-M5 keeps my options wide open and a full kit fits in a small LowePro messenger 100 bag.

Cheers

Brian
This one appears to coincide with some of your thoughts:

Hands on with the Fujifilm X100s