The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X20 and X100s... nice :)

pophoto

I find its a pity they didn't improve the rear LCD screen. Otherwise it's pretty interesting now they have the worlds fastest AF, I wondering if it tracks though!

Amin

From Fujifilm.eu:

The newly-developed X-Trans CMOS II sensor has built-in Phase Detection pixels which provide the X100S with the world’s fastest AF in as little as 0.08 seconds (*1).

*1 Fujifilm research as of November 2012. Compared with other compact digital cameras equipped with an APS-C sensor and a non-interchangeable lens based on CIPA standards and conducted in High Performance mode.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Both cameras are highly interesting for me, only I will not buy them as long as there is no RAW support in Aperture - which so far not even supports XPro1 and X10 :confused:

Maggie O

Both cameras are highly interesting for me, only I will not buy them as long as there is no RAW support in Aperture - which so far not even supports XPro1 and X10 :confused:
That's kind of how I feel about the announcement. Then again, I've been using the JPEGs out of my X10 happily, so I reckon it's not that big of a deal, though losing RAW support in the X100s is.

pgmj

The X20 looks very interesting as a family snap shot camera. Glad that they didn't push the pixelcount up. I'd rather have them pull it down to 8-10 mpix, but that isn't likely to happen for marketing reasons I guess.

jonoslack

You and me both bud - it's now the bottom line for me - no Aperture, no buy. It's just too much of a hassle to change.

OlliL

Yes Jono, there's a series of cameras from a well known (budget) lens manufacturer, but AF speed... ;)

jonoslack

Yes Jono, there's a series of cameras from a well known (budget) lens manufacturer, but AF speed... ;)
Dammit - of course - those Sigmas . . . but they aren't quite APS/c are they? Whatever, not an AF challenge I understand :ROTFL:

Actually, I'm sounding sarcastic - these sound like good cameras. Although i guess the Sony RX1 and RX100 are pretty tight competition (smaller cameras with bigger sensors).

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Actually, I'm sounding sarcastic - these sound like good cameras. Although i guess the Sony RX1 and RX100 are pretty tight competition (smaller cameras with bigger sensors).

all the best
The RX100 is certainly smaller, but also a totally different style of camera compared to the X20, and it lacks a viewfinder.

The RX1... the body might be smaller but:

- That kewl Zeiss lens sticks out like a sore thumb and makes it difficult to fit even in the pockets of my cargo shorts. The X100 fits without problems.
- The RX1 weighs nearly twice as much as the Fuji.
- The Sorry has no built-in viewfinder. Attach one and it's even less smaller (but more less cheap).
- Look at the ergonomics. To start with, the Fuji has more buttons, which is nice, but they have also made half of the top of the camera lower than the rest, so that top controls and hotshoe are flush with the left part. That way, there are less changes that they will catch loose threads in my pocket or simply be knocked off in an accident. Me thinks Fuji has made a camera or two before :)
- The Fuji is around a third of the price, leaving me enough extra cash to buy the next version and then the next, or simply go for a holiday in Japan, snapping photos of those cute Japanese girls :D

Copyright: tokyofashion on flickr

50% more pixels? That's 22.5% more linear resolution. Big deal. The RX1 does offer slightly less DOF wide open of course, which can sometimes be useful, but I'm not even sure that I would prefer the Sony if the two cameras were sold at the same price.

woodyspedden

That's kind of how I feel about the announcement. Then again, I've been using the JPEGs out of my X10 happily, so I reckon it's not that big of a deal, though losing RAW support in the X100s is.
Maggie

You may want to look at Capture one V7.02. I am beta testing this version and their raw converter for the Fuji X's is quite good. Plus you have all the features associated with this state of the art image processor.

Doesn't help Peter and Jono, who continue to use Aperture but for others this may be a great solution. Also there is a product from Sandy McGuffog called Accuraw which also does a good conversion but is not yet a full featured converter like Capture One or Lightroom/Photoshop. THe Lightroom conversions still suck but once the Capture One gains traction you can bet they will catch up.

Woody

Zlatko Batistich

I don't know what the situation with Aperture is, but it seems to be ok with Lightroom. I have some X-Pro1 RAF files and they seem to render fine in Lightroom, at least at ordinary sizes. That makes me optimistic about support for the X100S.

I noticed this interesting comment by Kinematic Digit on DPReview yesterday (talking about raw support for Fuji X cameras generally):

"As one of the people who has spent a lot of time researching into this and answered many people's concerns over it. It is a little overblown. Support by Adobe exists and the 'fine details' is something only seen in specific cases, and even in those cases are only apparent at 200-400% pixel resolution."

"I did a spot sample of 5 different processing techniques and printed it on fine art papers to simulate a 5 foot fine art print, and in each of the swatches they all held up well. The Adobe examples do show some break down of fine details, but most people will not be printing 5+ feet prints from this. Regardless, Adobe will be updating this in ACR 7.3, and Capture One is developing a beta that will have a finer detail renderer that provides stunning details that even compared to higher MP outputs would put them to shame."

quoted from: Fujifilm X100S retains retro looks while adding cutting-edge technologies: Digital Photography Review

Sapphie

Re Aperture: why does it insist I keep upgrading my OS each time a new version comes along? I can't run the latest on my Snow Leopard iMac ... mind you I can't really run C1 either but that's just lack of memory! LR copes ok.

Lee

jonoslack

The RX100 is certainly smaller, but also a totally different style of camera compared to the X20, and it lacks a viewfinder.

50% more pixels? That's 22.5% more linear resolution. Big deal. The RX1 does offer slightly less DOF wide open of course, which can sometimes be useful, but I'm not even sure that I would prefer the Sony if the two cameras were sold at the same price.
Hi Jorgen
I'd prefer the X100s at the same price as well - I guess I was being a bit of a devil's advocate here.

Not quite so sure about the X20/RX100 comparison - of course I agree about the viewfinder, but the RX100 works quite well.

My problem is Maggie's - no Aperture support for the Fuji RAF files.

Woody - I've looked at C7 7 - I was just beginning to get into it when it started crashing my computer (17"mbp with 2.5Ghz i7 with 16gb RAM and 512SSD). The Catalog function might just do what I want - at least it means I can run the two together for a while. I'm just downloading 7.2 to have another look. . . . but as Maggie says - it's a HUGE step to change, especially with a 75,000 image catalogue, all properly keyworded in Aperture HUGE!

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I visited the little shop where I buy my camera gear today and had a chat with the owner about Fujis and Sonys. He's been selling some of the Fuji X-models in quantities of 100+ per month. When asked about the Sony top models (RX1 and A99), he said that he ordered two of each per delivery. He was also extremely optimistic with regards to the X100s and said that the electronic split screen is a real killer. X-Pro2, anyone?