The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking of moving from Canon FF to X-Trans

NigelC

Looking for some thoughts on image quality. My 5d2 and Canon/Zeiss lenses are hardly used these days - despite the compromises my goto cameras are GH2 with 14-140 and 100-300 and Sigma DP2M as my pocket field camera. Making dedicated photography expeditions with a large backpack just doesn't fit in any more and my back is getting worse. My long lens needs are catered for by GH2 - occasionally use 5D2/100 IS for indoor portraits.

Firstly I tried the X100s at a show last week and I just have to have it, even to look at when its not being used! But I also thought of selling off all the Canon gear for a X100s/XE1 kit ( it helps that a family member works for fuji so can get 40% off) - with my eyes I need the dioptric adjustment on the XE1 which the Xpro hasn't got. A few thoughts:

1. Does the XE1 have any way of working with studio flash (not a deal breaker)

2. The two lenses I would miss most would be the Zeiss 21mm and the Canon 100mm IS. Do you think XE1 with 14mm lens would be a match for 5D2 with Zeiss 21mm and the Fuji 60mm for Canon 100 (1:1 isn't critical)

3. I would be thinking about the 14mm and the 60 mm macro. Not sure I need to cover the mid ground if I have X100s with its reasonably fast 35mm equiv and the DP2 covering the 50mm area. 28mm equivalent seems to be a slight problem - the 18mm seems to be least loved of the fuji lenses - 2 other options would be the 18 end of the 18-55 zoom or the wide angle converter on the X100s which seems to perform well from 5.6, which is enough.

NigelC

OK lets try something simpler. How would you rank the following options for a 28mm equivalent, where edge performance at wide apertures are not critical but sharpness across the frame at smaller apertures is?

1. 18mm
2. Wide angle converter on X100s
3. Short end of 18-55