The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-Pro1 Travel Kit

etrigan63

I have decided to go for the X-Pro1 as my travel/walkabout camera. The 35mm f/1.4 is a given, but I am trying to plan for a trip to Vienna in June. What would I need to round out my travel kit? What I have got so far is:

Spare battery or two
Dual charger (multi-voltage)
Gariz Leather Half-Case
60mm lens for portraits
14mm for wide shots
Fuji flash for X-Pro1?

Your thoughts?

Braeside

Carlos,

Not sure if you have the items on your list or not?

I would get the zoom 18-55mm, it is of great quality and has OIS which does come in very handy. The 60mm macro is very nice quality, but large and slow AF as it is a macro.

The 14mm absolutely take it. It is one of the best lenses of that type.

I never use a flash with the Fuji.

The Gariz half case is on my Fuji all the time.

Spare batteries are needed for sure. I have 1 original and 4 3rd party ones. Just the standard charger does me.

etrigan63

I am putting together the shopping list, David.

The fuji charger comes with multiple cables/plugs for travel use? As I am buying mine in the USA, it will come with a USA style plug.

Braeside

No, the standard charger here in the UK came with only a UK lead, however the charger is multi-voltage. I just take an adaptor for the appropriate country. You can pick those up at the airport if you forget one.

etrigan63

David,
would it be possible for you to dropbox me some RAW files from the X-Pro1 so I can test my offloading procedures? I promise the images will not be published without permission.

PenSon

The zoom 18-55mm and the 14mm are all the lenses you need for the trip. Add a ND filter or a polaroid filter ( same size on the lenses ;) ). + one small tripod. I used this setup for a travel to Island last week and did not miss the 35mm or the 60mm.
Trygve

PenSon

For light travelling the JOBY Gorillapod models "SLR-Zoom"(max 3 kg) or "Focus"(max 5 kg) with their optional ballheads would be a nice companions. Look at the videos at JOBY homepage (JOBY: GorillaPod, GripTight, UltraFit & GorillaTorch). Lots of options with that setup - only your creativity that set the limits off possibilities :). The Gorillapods are also more ruggedized than a light carbon tripod.
Trygve

etrigan63

GorillaPod had never occurred to me. They looked too much like toys to me. Serves me right for not keeping an open mind.

Paratom

I have decided to go for the X-Pro1 as my travel/walkabout camera. The 35mm f/1.4 is a given, but I am trying to plan for a trip to Vienna in June. What would I need to round out my travel kit? What I have got so far is:

Spare battery or two
Dual charger (multi-voltage)
Gariz Leather Half-Case
60mm lens for portraits
14mm for wide shots
Fuji flash for X-Pro1?

Your thoughts?
Sounds good,
high ISO is very good, amd with the 35/1.4 I think you wont need a flash.
Spare battery sounds good.
Enjoy!

Ron (Netherlands)

I would go for the X-E1 as premium body (and a second as back up if required)
and I would never use a zoom lens :)
spare batteries seem adequate

sjg284

You may want to swap the zoom in for the 60mm, unless you plant to do macros. Also the forthcoming 58mm looks more tempting, if the release date works out.
I've held off getting the 60mm myself for that reason.
The 14mm looks fantastic, and I'm thinking of it myself.
Skip the flash.

A well timed thread, I just got back from a 2.5 week trip with..
X-Pro1, XF 35/1.4 | M8, 50/1.4 v2 lux, Zeiss 25/2.8 | IIIc, 50/2 summitar

Lugging around various combinations of cameras/lenses each day.. found myself shooting 50% X-Pro1, and 25% each on the Leicas

As I've shot the M8 extremely little since getting the X-Pro1, I'm left with the nagging feeling to acquire more Fuji lenses.
I'm also starting to think I should sell the M8, and go back to an M2/M3 for when I want that Leica feeling.

Nothing beats the viewfinder of a Leica, but the digital ones are just so damn big/heavy/loud compared to the good old film ones. And the M8 gives me nothing in terms of ISO that film can't.
The Fuji really scratches the digital itch for me. Ugh.

Braeside

David,
would it be possible for you to dropbox me some RAW files from the X-Pro1 so I can test my offloading procedures? I promise the images will not be published without permission.
Carlos, my apologies for not replying sooner. A feeble attempt at an excuse follows :OT:

My normal good health has been upset by a series of things this last month, first a shoulder and neck problem - now OK, then a strained chest muscle -almost OK, and now a lower back problem - I could have bought a decent lens with the chiropractor bills :(

So, I am minimising my time sitting at the computer and concentrating getting back to health, so that I can enjoy carrying my gear around.

I'm sure you can download some raf files from DPR's Fuji review.

All the best.

etrigan63

David,
Attending to one's health is never a poor excuse. Not to worry, I googled a bit and found some proper RAF files to work with.

Update: I have reworked and trimmed my list based on input from you all here and others plus my wallet. Here's what it looks like now:

Fuji X-Pro1: I love the rangefinder look and the option to switch between OVF and EVF.
Fuji 18-55 mm zoom: want to keep the kit to one lens
Fuji EX-F20 flash: for those few times when high-ISO + OIS won't save the day (or night as the case may be)
Apple Worldwide Connection Kit: a tip from another forum. The plug adapters all fit in the Fuji charger.

(I am checking with our pal Monza to see about acquiring them)

3x Spare Bstteries: B&H has these for $20 each (3rd party)
JLM Basic Grip for Fuji X-Pro1: John makes an awesome grip.
Extra 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC cards

Bits I've Already Acquired
Novoflex Tabletop Tripod
Joby GorillaPod Focus + Ballhead X
Manfrotto Al Monopod: the Ballhead X works nicely here.
Gordy Strap
ThinkTank Retrospective 10
Asus EeePC netbook configured for traveling storage, image review, and upload of images. I will be blogging about this bit.

etrigan63

UPDATE
I have discovered a local Fuji dealer here in Miami: Electric Avenue

I went by the store today and put an X-Pro1, 18-55mm lens, and EF-X20 flash on layaway. They carry every brand imaginable (including medium format) and they will match prices with B&H! I tested this today and it is true. They quoted me $749 for the lens over the phone, but when I showed them the B&H price ($699), they reduced the price of the lens to $690!

soboyle

Possibly the X100S? Will give you a fast 35, and a backup camera just in case. Finding one might be the trick. My guess is that it could become the primary camera you end up using, same IQ, and a very comfortable size and weight for travel.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Using the XPro1 with the 18-55 (a VERY GOOD zoom) and the 35 for available light and portraits.

Will not need more 95% of time ;)