The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-Pro1 Travel Kit

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just got back from Asia traveling with my X-Pro1 and X-E1 combo. In reality, the following was my go-to kit, with other glass and bodies as just insurance:

X-Pro1
14/2.8
18-55
35/1.4
Zeiss 85/4 & M adapter
Feisol CT-3441T tripod & small ballhead

I actually also took along my Rockinon 8mm, CV 12mm, 18mm and 60mm glass too along with the X-E1. I did use the 8mm & 12mm on a few occasions and having the 2nd body with a wide/long on it full time was useful at times but by no means essential. When walking around I'd have the 2nd body in the bag and the X-Pro1 available full time on the shoulder.

David Schneider

Just returned from 4 week trip through a few countries in Europe.

I went with the Fuji X-E1, 18-55mm, 14mm, 100mm Canon f2.8 Series E (circa 1984 or so). No camera bag, just Scottievest. Used a vintage table pod often. Rotating polarizing filter once in awhile.

Roughly speaking, I used the 18-55mm 50-60% of the time, the 14mm about 30-35%, the 100mm maybe 5-10% I wouldn't want to be without something longer than the 18-55mm and the X-E1 the manual focusing is fast, accurate, and the lens is very lightweight. Of course, by June the 55-200mm zoom will be available.

If you have the 18-55mm and are traveling, I can't see using the 35mm even though it is an outstanding lens. The zoom is excellent and high iso capabilities are marvelous.

Suggestions are to bring extra 32gb sd cards (Transcends are excellent and priced well), and extra batteries. The original Fuji batteries seem to last twice as long as third party batteries, but you can get two third party batteries, a better travel charger, plus a European electric adapter for less than the price of a single new Fuji battery.

If trying to travel very light as I did, the pop-up flash on the XE1 is darn handy. I'm now a big fan of the horizon line feature.

I would bring extra lens caps, but I tend to lose them. I didn't bring lens hoods as I know I'd just lose it along the way. There were times I had to use my hand as a shade, but rare and flare wasn't a problem.

XE1 is an extremely capable camera. For my studio business I also use a Canon 5dmk2, four L lenses, Hasselblad H3D2-39 and four HC lenses.

etrigan63

Well my kit is almost all together. I now have:

Fuji X-E1 (I prefer its EVF to Pro's OVF/EVF) + Artisan Obscura softrelease
18-55mm lens
50mm f/1.4 Pentax Super Takumar + M42 adapter
3x 32GB cards, 2x 16GB cards + Pelican Card Holder
iPad Mini 64GB
GorillaPod Focus + Ball head
3x Wasabi batteries + extra charger (got the Apple plug kit)
TT Retrospective 7 bag

On its way:
Plate/grip combo from Ebay.
EF-X20 Flash (more potent than the pop-up flash)

Need to get:
1 TB wireless hard drive.

Would like to get:
55-200mm zoom.

etrigan63

What is the best adapter for Nikon F to Fuji X?
Arguably, Novoflex makes the best lens adapters by far:

But they are pricey.

Fotodiox makes some nice adapters as well (they also guarantee infinity focus) and are more reasonably priced.

krist8

Just returned from 4 week trip through a few countries in Europe.

Roughly speaking, I used the 18-55mm 50-60% of the time, the 14mm about 30-35%, the 100mm maybe 5-10% .
I will be travelling to Europe later this month. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 zooms, and a Nikon 35 f/2 with adapter. I am hestitant to bring the 55-200 since it is big and heavy. I shoot mostly scenery, street scenes (18-55), and try to offset the lack of wide angle by shooting panorama mode (waiting for the wide zoom to come out later this year), and closeup flowers (Nikon 35/2 which can focus real close). So, what situations might I use the long zoom?

David Schneider

I will be travelling to Europe later this month. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 zooms, and a Nikon 35 f/2 with adapter. I am hestitant to bring the 55-200 since it is big and heavy. I shoot mostly scenery, street scenes (18-55), and try to offset the lack of wide angle by shooting panorama mode (waiting for the wide zoom to come out later this year), and closeup flowers (Nikon 35/2 which can focus real close). So, what situations might I use the long zoom?
I don't think the 55-200 is big and heavy, but I daily use a Canon 70-200 f2.8IIL. But it certainly is bigger and heavier than the 18-55.

My suggestion if weight and size are important is to not bring the Nikon 35. You have that focal length covered, plus the X Series is excellent at really high iso's. Rather, get a 14mm. I was surprised how often I was using the 14mm and if you're doing street and scenery, it's a joy. And it does focus pretty close too. You can try the Micro setting on the camera.

But there will be a few times you want something longer and then you have to compromise. I picked the old, used $50 Nikon 100mm f2.8. Turns out it was much better than I expected and with the push button on the XE1 for magnification, it was reasonably easy to pin point focus. And it's small and light, about the same size as the 18-55. At least it give you a 150mm (equivalent). And results were good. Attached are all worked on for display, but shows the 100mm and the 18-55 at 52.7mm from almost the exact same spot.

However, after my trip, I'd probably take the 14mm before the 100mm if I had to choose. Since the 100mm fits easily into outside breast pocket of my Scottivest, hard not to justify not having it though.