Site Sponsors

Thread: Fuji X-Pro1 Travel Kit

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji X-Pro1 Travel Kit

I have decided to go for the X-Pro1 as my travel/walkabout camera. The 35mm f/1.4 is a given, but I am trying to plan for a trip to Vienna in June. What would I need to round out my travel kit? What I have got so far is:

Spare battery or two
    Dual charger (multi-voltage)
    Gariz Leather Half-Case
    60mm lens for portraits
    14mm for wide shots
    Fuji flash for X-Pro1?

Your thoughts?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji X-Pro1 Travel Kit

Carlos,

Not sure if you have the items on your list or not?

I would get the zoom 18-55mm, it is of great quality and has OIS which does come in very handy. The 60mm macro is very nice quality, but large and slow AF as it is a macro.

The 14mm absolutely take it. It is one of the best lenses of that type.

I never use a flash with the Fuji.

The Gariz half case is on my Fuji all the time.

Spare batteries are needed for sure. I have 1 original and 4 3rd party ones. Just the standard charger does me.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am putting together the shopping list, David.

The fuji charger comes with multiple cables/plugs for travel use? As I am buying mine in the USA, it will come with a USA style plug.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

No, the standard charger here in the UK came with only a UK lead, however the charger is multi-voltage. I just take an adaptor for the appropriate country. You can pick those up at the airport if you forget one.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    would it be possible for you to dropbox me some RAW files from the X-Pro1 so I can test my offloading procedures? I promise the images will not be published without permission.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An X-E1 for a second body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The zoom 18-55mm and the 14mm are all the lenses you need for the trip. Add a ND filter or a polaroid filter ( same size on the lenses ). + one small tripod. I used this setup for a travel to Island last week and did not miss the 35mm or the 60mm.
    Trygve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which small tripod would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For light travelling the JOBY Gorillapod models "SLR-Zoom"(max 3 kg) or "Focus"(max 5 kg) with their optional ballheads would be a nice companions. Look at the videos at JOBY homepage (JOBY: GorillaPod, GripTight, UltraFit & GorillaTorch). Lots of options with that setup - only your creativity that set the limits off possibilities . The Gorillapods are also more ruggedized than a light carbon tripod.
    Trygve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GorillaPod had never occurred to me. They looked too much like toys to me. Serves me right for not keeping an open mind.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I have decided to go for the X-Pro1 as my travel/walkabout camera. The 35mm f/1.4 is a given, but I am trying to plan for a trip to Vienna in June. What would I need to round out my travel kit? What I have got so far is:

Spare battery or two
    Dual charger (multi-voltage)
    Gariz Leather Half-Case
    60mm lens for portraits
    14mm for wide shots
    Fuji flash for X-Pro1?

Your thoughts?
    Sounds good,
    high ISO is very good, amd with the 35/1.4 I think you wont need a flash.
    Spare battery sounds good.
    Enjoy!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would additionally go for the zoom and the XE1 as a second body.

Peter

Senior Member Ron (Netherlands)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go for the X-E1 as premium body (and a second as back up if required)
    and I would never use a zoom lens :-)
    spare batteries seem adequate
    Leica: IIa sync conversion, M6 TTL Millenium, Fuji X-E1;
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You may want to swap the zoom in for the 60mm, unless you plant to do macros. Also the forthcoming 58mm looks more tempting, if the release date works out.
    I've held off getting the 60mm myself for that reason.
    The 14mm looks fantastic, and I'm thinking of it myself.
    Skip the flash.

A well timed thread, I just got back from a 2.5 week trip with..
    X-Pro1, XF 35/1.4 | M8, 50/1.4 v2 lux, Zeiss 25/2.8 | IIIc, 50/2 summitar

Lugging around various combinations of cameras/lenses each day.. found myself shooting 50% X-Pro1, and 25% each on the Leicas

As I've shot the M8 extremely little since getting the X-Pro1, I'm left with the nagging feeling to acquire more Fuji lenses.
    I'm also starting to think I should sell the M8, and go back to an M2/M3 for when I want that Leica feeling.

Nothing beats the viewfinder of a Leica, but the digital ones are just so damn big/heavy/loud compared to the good old film ones. And the M8 gives me nothing in terms of ISO that film can't.
    The Fuji really scratches the digital itch for me. Ugh.
    blog
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    David,
    would it be possible for you to dropbox me some RAW files from the X-Pro1 so I can test my offloading procedures? I promise the images will not be published without permission.
    Carlos, my apologies for not replying sooner. A feeble attempt at an excuse follows

My normal good health has been upset by a series of things this last month, first a shoulder and neck problem - now OK, then a strained chest muscle -almost OK, and now a lower back problem - I could have bought a decent lens with the chiropractor bills

So, I am minimising my time sitting at the computer and concentrating getting back to health, so that I can enjoy carrying my gear around.

I'm sure you can download some raf files from DPR's Fuji review.

All the best.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Attending to one's health is never a poor excuse. Not to worry, I googled a bit and found some proper RAF files to work with.

Update: I have reworked and trimmed my list based on input from you all here and others plus my wallet. Here's what it looks like now:

Fuji X-Pro1: I love the rangefinder look and the option to switch between OVF and EVF.
    Fuji 18-55 mm zoom: want to keep the kit to one lens
    Fuji EX-F20 flash: for those few times when high-ISO + OIS won't save the day (or night as the case may be)
    Apple Worldwide Connection Kit: a tip from another forum. The plug adapters all fit in the Fuji charger.

(I am checking with our pal Monza to see about acquiring them)

3x Spare Bstteries: B&H has these for $20 each (3rd party)
    JLM Basic Grip for Fuji X-Pro1: John makes an awesome grip.
    Extra 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC cards

Bits I've Already Acquired
    Novoflex Tabletop Tripod
    Joby GorillaPod Focus + Ballhead X
    Manfrotto Al Monopod: the Ballhead X works nicely here.
    Gordy Strap
    ThinkTank Retrospective 10
    Asus EeePC netbook configured for traveling storage, image review, and upload of images. I will be blogging about this bit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

UPDATE
    I have discovered a local Fuji dealer here in Miami: Electric Avenue

I went by the store today and put an X-Pro1, 18-55mm lens, and EF-X20 flash on layaway. They carry every brand imaginable (including medium format) and they will match prices with B&H! I tested this today and it is true. They quoted me $749 for the lens over the phone, but when I showed them the B&H price ($699), they reduced the price of the lens to $690!

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly the X100S? Will give you a fast 35, and a backup camera just in case. Finding one might be the trick. My guess is that it could become the primary camera you end up using, same IQ, and a very comfortable size and weight for travel.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Using the XPro1 with the 18-55 (a VERY GOOD zoom) and the 35 for available light and portraits.

Will not need more 95% of time

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have put the kit on layaway at Electric Avenue. Now I have to drum up the cash for the rest of it!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got back from Asia traveling with my X-Pro1 and X-E1 combo. In reality, the following was my go-to kit, with other glass and bodies as just insurance:

X-Pro1
    14/2.8
    18-55
    35/1.4
    Zeiss 85/4 & M adapter
    Feisol CT-3441T tripod & small ballhead

I actually also took along my Rockinon 8mm, CV 12mm, 18mm and 60mm glass too along with the X-E1. I did use the 8mm & 12mm on a few occasions and having the 2nd body with a wide/long on it full time was useful at times but by no means essential. When walking around I'd have the 2nd body in the bag and the X-Pro1 available full time on the shoulder.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from 4 week trip through a few countries in Europe.

I went with the Fuji X-E1, 18-55mm, 14mm, 100mm Canon f2.8 Series E (circa 1984 or so). No camera bag, just Scottievest. Used a vintage table pod often. Rotating polarizing filter once in awhile.

Roughly speaking, I used the 18-55mm 50-60% of the time, the 14mm about 30-35%, the 100mm maybe 5-10% I wouldn't want to be without something longer than the 18-55mm and the X-E1 the manual focusing is fast, accurate, and the lens is very lightweight. Of course, by June the 55-200mm zoom will be available.

If you have the 18-55mm and are traveling, I can't see using the 35mm even though it is an outstanding lens. The zoom is excellent and high iso capabilities are marvelous.

Suggestions are to bring extra 32gb sd cards (Transcends are excellent and priced well), and extra batteries. The original Fuji batteries seem to last twice as long as third party batteries, but you can get two third party batteries, a better travel charger, plus a European electric adapter for less than the price of a single new Fuji battery.

If trying to travel very light as I did, the pop-up flash on the XE1 is darn handy. I'm now a big fan of the horizon line feature.

I would bring extra lens caps, but I tend to lose them. I didn't bring lens hoods as I know I'd just lose it along the way. There were times I had to use my hand as a shade, but rare and flare wasn't a problem.

XE1 is an extremely capable camera. For my studio business I also use a Canon 5dmk2, four L lenses, Hasselblad H3D2-39 and four HC lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my kit is almost all together. I now have:

Fuji X-E1 (I prefer its EVF to Pro's OVF/EVF) + Artisan Obscura softrelease
    18-55mm lens
    50mm f/1.4 Pentax Super Takumar + M42 adapter
    3x 32GB cards, 2x 16GB cards + Pelican Card Holder
    iPad Mini 64GB
    GorillaPod Focus + Ball head
    3x Wasabi batteries + extra charger (got the Apple plug kit)
    TT Retrospective 7 bag

On its way:
    Plate/grip combo from Ebay.
    EF-X20 Flash (more potent than the pop-up flash)

Need to get:
    1 TB wireless hard drive.

Would like to get:
    55-200mm zoom.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best adapter for Nikon F to Fuji X?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hlwms View Post
    What is the best adapter for Nikon F to Fuji X?
    Arguably, Novoflex makes the best lens adapters by far:

But they are pricey.

Fotodiox makes some nice adapters as well (they also guarantee infinity focus) and are more reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carlos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    Just returned from 4 week trip through a few countries in Europe.

Roughly speaking, I used the 18-55mm 50-60% of the time, the 14mm about 30-35%, the 100mm maybe 5-10% .
    I will be travelling to Europe later this month. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 zooms, and a Nikon 35 f/2 with adapter. I am hestitant to bring the 55-200 since it is big and heavy. I shoot mostly scenery, street scenes (18-55), and try to offset the lack of wide angle by shooting panorama mode (waiting for the wide zoom to come out later this year), and closeup flowers (Nikon 35/2 which can focus real close). So, what situations might I use the long zoom?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krist8 View Post
    I will be travelling to Europe later this month. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 zooms, and a Nikon 35 f/2 with adapter. I am hestitant to bring the 55-200 since it is big and heavy. I shoot mostly scenery, street scenes (18-55), and try to offset the lack of wide angle by shooting panorama mode (waiting for the wide zoom to come out later this year), and closeup flowers (Nikon 35/2 which can focus real close). So, what situations might I use the long zoom?
    I don't think the 55-200 is big and heavy, but I daily use a Canon 70-200 f2.8IIL. But it certainly is bigger and heavier than the 18-55.

My suggestion if weight and size are important is to not bring the Nikon 35. You have that focal length covered, plus the X Series is excellent at really high iso's. Rather, get a 14mm. I was surprised how often I was using the 14mm and if you're doing street and scenery, it's a joy. And it does focus pretty close too. You can try the Micro setting on the camera.

But there will be a few times you want something longer and then you have to compromise. I picked the old, used $50 Nikon 100mm f2.8. Turns out it was much better than I expected and with the push button on the XE1 for magnification, it was reasonably easy to pin point focus. And it's small and light, about the same size as the 18-55. At least it give you a 150mm (equivalent). And results were good. Attached are all worked on for display, but shows the 100mm and the 18-55 at 52.7mm from almost the exact same spot.

However, after my trip, I'd probably take the 14mm before the 100mm if I had to choose. Since the 100mm fits easily into outside breast pocket of my Scottivest, hard not to justify not having it though.