Site Sponsors

Thread: Joined The Fuji Crowd

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Joined The Fuji Crowd

Well, after much research and soul searching, I got an XE-1. Lenses for it have all gotten good reviews and the lens map looks good. The colors appear wonderful after processing RAW files in Lightroom. It's the closest thing to my fond memories of my Nikon FM: small, light and fun to use.

Still getting used to it's personality but I'm off to a good start.

Jim

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Joined The Fuji Crowd

Enjoy!

The Fuji X system is looking really good these days with more glass coming too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.

I hope you enjoy your new camera. I really enjoy mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a bit skeptical when I read posts where people said they couldn't wait to take more images with the cameras but sure enough I keep grabbing the camera looking for another image.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same and jumped into the Fuji X system, but with the XPro1.

I must say I am overwhelmed by the results. Never ever had better files in the past than from the XPro1. It is a great camera and also the hybrid finder is a joy to use. Especially compared to the disappointing OVF solution in the M digital cameras including the new Leica M.

And I am looking forward now to expand the X system even further and later this year add a XPro2

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might move up from the EX1 when the new Pro comes. Fuji has the best kit lens I have seen.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I might move up from the EX1 when the new Pro comes. Fuji has the best kit lens I have seen.
    I actually think they have some of the best lenses on the market as well! Especially the zoom I am very impressed!

Post Thanks / Like

I am very curious to see what Fuji comes up with for the next generation based on the improvements that they made to the X100S.

The lenses are really nice. I do wish that they had constant apertures for the zooms though but with that image quality, I can manage :-)

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope that they finally decide on a single button layout too. It's obviously still a work in progress but it seems each iteration is better so that's encouraging.

The AF zone selection though is klunky for my liking - I dislike having the button on the left vs perhaps being able to program the Q or function button or just have it constantly available to move with the control pad - this applies to both the X-E1 & X-Pro1. I shoot manual focus but I do use the AEL button button to zoom focus to the current AF point and then adjust if needed.

Great cameras & lenses though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will see the X Pro 2 and XE2 by the end of this year, and with the Zeiss addition of lenses, it's becoming a killer system. Even if it is APS-C only!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking really forward to the XPro2 and XE2. And while I understand many will kill me here, I wish they will have some higher resolution s well (20 - 24MP), which would then make it almost 100% my primary system.

I do think the lenses can hold up even to higher resolution. Also look forward to the Zeiss lenses, but having seen the quality of the Fuji lenses, I am not so sure I would buy Zeiss instead of Fuji.

All in all a GREAT system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to get the fuji 14mm looks to be rated very well. BTW I do have a half leather case for sale on the B&S. I think I want the RRS grip and plate instead. Anyone using it have thoughts on it or thumbs up lever instead. Any advice would be helpful.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The RRS bracket and grip rocks. It also provides a nice armour protection for the X-E1 or X-Pro1 depending on which you have. The only slight usability issue is with access to the USB / RR80 ports on the side of the body with the L bracket in place - you just need to have some finger nails or small fingers to get to the cover. If you use a remote then it's not really possible to use the camera in portrait mode on a tripod - I typically just use a regular manual cable release.

Btw, the 14mm rocks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Milich grip.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of going RRS since I have one for my Canon. Thinking of getting the L bracket without the grip though since I have been managing so far with the shape of the camera

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the RRS..... well anything really!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Looking really forward to the XPro2 and XE2. And while I understand many will kill me here, I wish they will have some higher resolution s well (20 - 24MP), which would then make it almost 100% my primary system.

I do think the lenses can hold up even to higher resolution. Also look forward to the Zeiss lenses, but having seen the quality of the Fuji lenses, I am not so sure I would buy Zeiss instead of Fuji.

I am sure the lenses could resolve more detail than 16MP, the problem with more than 20MP on a small sensor is that you get very noisy skies.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a prime guy, but the Fuji kit zoom is an exception. It's faster than the usual compact zoom, and the performance is terrific. That and the 35/1.4 are a heck of a 2-lens combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Get the Milich grip.
    I have the RRS grips but certainly had John had these available when I got them I'd have FAR FAR rather have bought his versions. He produces wonderful work and I'd happily buy his well designed and built plates.

John: You can send the $10 bills to the normal address

Seriously though, John's work is excellent and it's nice to support an artisan here. Heck, he's a super nice guy too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm extremely happy with my X-Pro 1. It's a pleasure to use, and the output is fantastic; there is a feel to the images that I really like.

I have the three original primes. I am very happy with each. I don't need the 18-55, but from what friends tell me it's not right to label it a kit zoom - that is a disservice to its performance. I am interested in the long zoom though; I'm curious about how it performs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I have the RRS grips but certainly had John had these available when I got them I'd have FAR FAR rather have bought his versions. He produces wonderful work and I'd happily buy his well designed and built plates.

John: You can send the $10 bills to the normal address

Seriously though, John's work is excellent and it's nice to support an artisan here. Heck, he's a super nice guy too!
    I don't need the L bracket so the RRS one without it looks maybe a better choice . Johns base plate from what I can see runs past the body for the L. If you want to sell your RRS let me know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    And while I understand many will kill me here, I wish they will have some higher resolution s well (20 - 24MP), which would then make it almost 100% my primary system.

Absolutely agree. I have hardly used my Nikon since I got the Fuji. With 24MP and a few changes, it would become my main system for pretty much everything but charreadas.
    Martin Ranger - Seattle, WA
    www.martinrangerimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my d800 and lenses for the Fuji-xe1. Sure, I hate the cropped sensor but the camera is so much fun to shoot. And the images are wonderful. I really want a fast 35 (23mm). The 14 is stellar. The 35 is amazing. The kit is actually a really good zoom. Everything is moderately priced. A few more lenses in the system and it will be fantastic.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Love to get the fuji 14mm looks to be rated very well. BTW I do have a half leather case for sale on the B&S. I think I want the RRS grip and plate instead. Anyone using it have thoughts on it or thumbs up lever instead. Any advice would be helpful.
    Guy,

I have the Thumbs-Up lever and the RRS base plate (BXE1). A great combo.

Personally, not a fan of the grip.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also think it's a great camera. When the x-pro2 comes out, I will convert my X-pro1 to infrared (670) and retire (sell) my converted 5D. Should be really nice kit:

Senior Member Ron (Netherlands)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just jumped into the X-E1. Lovely piece of equipment, very portable and still a system cam! - will be using it only in manual focus ...

just tried it with the 12mm Heliar. Here you find the original file:
    http://kpmg0072.home.xs4all.nl/X-E1/test1%20zw.jpg
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 26th April 2013 at 13:27.
    Leica: IIa sync conversion, M6 TTL Millenium, Fuji X-E1;
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I too have joined the Fuji crowd with the X100s. It fulfills all of my expectations... small, simple (once I got through initial set-up), easy to handle, very flexible and fun, fun, fun. Did I mention fun ? JPEGs are amazing OOC. Only issue I have is that Capture One V7.1.1 does not see the raw files for X100s during import, while it does see raw files from X-E1, X-Pro 1 and X100. Perhaps this is an issue with X-Trans CMOS II (X100s) vs X-Trans CMOS I (X-E1, X-Pro 1, etc)? Anyone have any similar experience or thoughts on this? Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Post Thanks / Like

I have the XE-1, and am amazed by the quality of the images I am getting with some old Leica lenses on this camera! I love shooting in the B&W mode, and the EVF is very good. I like the Leica Summilux 50mm (ver. 1) in particular.
    I also recommend the book 'Mastering the FujiFilm X-Pro 1' by Rico Pfirstinger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    Only issue I have is that Capture One V7.1.1 does not see the raw files for X100s during import, while it does see raw files from X-E1, X-Pro 1 and X100. Perhaps this is an issue with X-Trans CMOS II (X100s) vs X-Trans CMOS I (X-E1, X-Pro 1, etc)? Anyone have any similar experience or thoughts on this? Any help very much appreciated.
    Some digging in Phase One Support pages indicates that the X100S is not supported. See http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/455...ack-x100s.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay got a grip ordered from our dear friend here John. Should get it early next week. Looking forward to having that.

Thanks Graham for keeping me up to date on that.