The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh, those X-Trans trees!

Sapphie

After the coldest spring in the UK for 50 years, foliage has taken a while to appear but suddenly we have it in abundance with trees in full leaf.

I find myself peering at them quite intently a lot of the time (from various distances) to try to judge exactly what they are supposed to look like! Sound weird? Well, it's a result of spending too much time peeping those X-trans pixels and finding ways around the unnatural look you sometimes get. It is true that RAW processors are better now, though but I am still not entirely convinced. LR just doesn't do the files full justice for me. I keep comparing LR to C1 to Silkypix to Accuraw to Aperture (and now even Iridient). I think I am settling on C1 Express as the best overall solution but this seems to change daily.

I need to get out more and shoot some more trees! I could, of course, just use my Sigma DP2 Merrill instead. I wonder, though, if pictures from that don't always match reality but for different reasons.

Lee

Pelao

After the coldest spring in the UK for 50 years, foliage has taken a while to appear but suddenly we have it in abundance with trees in full leaf.

I find myself peering at them quite intently a lot of the time (from various distances) to try to judge exactly what they are supposed to look like! Sound weird? Well, it's a result of spending too much time peeping those X-trans pixels and finding ways around the unnatural look you sometimes get. It is true that RAW processors are better now, though but I am still not entirely convinced. LR just doesn't do the files full justice for me. I keep comparing LR to C1 to Silkypix to Accuraw to Aperture (and now even Iridient). I think I am settling on C1 Express as the best overall solution but this seems to change daily.

I need to get out more and shoot some more trees! I could, of course, just use my Sigma DP2 Merrill instead. I wonder, though, if pictures from that don't always match reality but for different reasons.

Lee
Fun!
Do you print? If so, how do the files look when printed?

Zlatko Batistich

For those tricky files with foliage, Aperture seems to do a fine job. Silkypix gives good results too (for trees), but the interface is incredibly unintuitive.

Lightcraftsman

The proof is in the prints. I received a 24x36 inch print I shot with an X-E1 on a recent trip to Denmark. I could see some artifacts on screen, but the print is beautiful. The shot did not contain any foliage, however. I used LR5 and PhotoShop CS6 to prep the print, then up sampled it using Perfect Resize 7.5.

I'm thinking about buying an X-E1 and will need to test it with some trees to see how my workflow performs.