The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji 55-200mm

Sapphie

Time for a new thread?

ISO 800, f5.6, 55mm

ISO 800, f5.6, 180mm

ISO 800, f8, 140mm

ISO 400, f5, 70mm

All hand-held, OIS on.

Lee

DavidL

Not looking good Lee. Luckily I'm in Devon so can take it off your hands cheap. Thought if I got in first you might believe me;)
From Mifsuds? if so I'm on my way once I've sold my Pentax gear.
David

Sapphie

David

In fact I wasn't really sure about keeping it as I am not normally very good with long zooms but so far I am actually very impressed. Shall it stay or go ...?

I made the mistake of looking at the web site for Devon Camera Centre in Exeter, where I have got all my Fuji gear and before I knew it I was in the shop holding one. Free UV filter too.

Lee

Last edited:

DavidL

David

In fact I wasn't really sure about keeping it as I am not normally very good with long zooms but so far I am actually very impressed. Shall it stay or go ...?

I made the mistake of looking at the web site for Devon Camera Centre in Exeter, where I have got all my Fuji gear and before I knew it I was in the shop holding one. I think Pieter said he had ordered 10. I am sure he still has some in stock! Free UV filter too.

Lee
Currently their site says awaiting stock so looks like they've sold them all.
What filter do they throw in? Guess not a B+W

Will get one as soon as I shift my Pentax outfit. Have you ever traded in with them and if so do they offer reasonable prices?

krist8

I got this lens a few days ago, and am not sure of keeping it due to its size and weight. Went and tried it out yesterday at Edwards Garden here in Toronto, and then went to Henry's ExposureShow as well.
In Edwards garden, I ran into a few wedding groups, and took a few stealth shots, and I am impressed. (I'll remove these photos after a few days since I do not have permission to post them)
Not having many keepers in doors at the ExposureShow. I have yet to learn to increase the shutter speed to keep up with moving animals and Mario's roller coaster. The portrait of the young model is really sharp.
Although not many keepers, I think I'll keep the lens and get used to it and the X-E1 that I am using.
Comments are appreciated.

[/url] DSCF1594 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] S0391780 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] DSCF1643 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] DSCF1648 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] DSCF1666 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] DSCF1668 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] DSCF1793 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] S0111720 by Krist8, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

DavidL

Well I followed suit and went and got one. Walked in with a bag of Pentax gear, walked out with the 55-200mm and a decent cheque.
Initial snaps are impressive. These Fuji lenses seem to offer outstanding value for money, not to mention impressive image quality.

Sapphie

Well I followed suit and went and got one. Walked in with a bag of Pentax gear, walked out with the 55-200mm and a decent cheque.
Initial snaps are impressive. These Fuji lenses seem to offer outstanding value for money, not to mention impressive image quality.
Oh dear. What next? The 14mm seems alluring. No, stop it! You first this time!

Hope you like the lens David. I am not normally a 'long lens guy' but this is probably the best zoom I have had. It's sort of big and heavy but at the same time isn't, especially considering the reach. I hope to get out with it a bit more next week, hoping the weather holds.

Lee

DavidL

Hope you like the lens David. I am not normally a 'long lens guy' but this is probably the best zoom I have had. It's sort of big and heavy but at the same time isn't, especially considering the reach. I hope to get out with it a bit more next week, hoping the weather holds.

Lee
Yep, maybe somebody will do us two for the price of one.
However, an X Pro 2 with electronic viewfinder would stop me in my tracks
David

David Schneider

It's sort of big and heavy but at the same time isn't, especially considering the reach. I hope to get out with it a bit more next week, hoping the weather holds.

Lee
Can't say the 55-200mm is big and heavy, at least not if you use a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L II daily as I do. You might say it's large compared to the XE1 body and it's certainly heavier than the body, but weight wise it seems about the same as the Canon 24-105. But the XE1 with a 55-200 mounted weighs less than the Canon 70-200 by itself.

I've done one very fast test in studio and was surprised that I couldn't tell the 55-200mm or the 70-200mm images apart taken at about 200mm (35mm film equivalent). Considering the Canon 70-200 2.8LII is a world class lens, that's surprising.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The optics of the 55-200mm are fine. But AF is sluggish and need strong vertical edges.

Here is a shot with the GH3 + 35-100mm zoom:

The GH3 was fast in focussing in that scene (on the poppies in wind) while the XP1 had major trouble.

I also don't like how the lens hood mounts. Again the 35-100mm shows that it can be much more precise even in plastic.