The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-Pro1 diopter lenses

gurtch

I just received an X-Pro1 and 14mm and 35mm lenses. Still trying to figure it out. Even though I knew there was no adjustable diopter eyepiece, I bought it any way. I cannot see the finder image clearly. I ordered a Plus 1, on a gamble...it may or may not be enough of a correction. When it arrives, I try it. If not good enough, I buy a Plus 2, etc. That is the advantage of having a local dealer that stocks all that stuff. Take the cameera into the shop, and try diopter lenses till you get it right. To make matters worse, I am left eyed; I am having cataract surger on my right eye mid August. Later I will need to get the left eye done 9the eye I use for photographing). After the surgery, who knows what correction I will need. BIG error with Fuji not putting an adjustable diopter in a "Pro" camera. My other three camera systems (Sony A-900, Nikon D800e, and Pentax 645D) all have adjustable eyepieces. Sorry about my rant, but until I get the right eyepiece, my new system is useless.
Dave in NJ

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Agreed - I'm sure that it is something they.will add for any X-Pro2. They've appeared to have been incrementally improving the control layout and ergonomics with each new camera. The X-E1 and X100s both got diopter adjustment.

Regarding the diopter, I had to change mine to +1 to accommodate my 49 year old eyesight. I bought the Zeiss +0, Fuji +1 & Fuji +2 diopters from Amazon so that I could try them and easily return the ones that I didn't need. It was confusing as a first time diopter lens buyer as the docs weren't clear (to me) which strength I would need vs my reading glass strength.

gurtch

Thanks Graham.
I also use reading glasses, but I recall from days of old, that with my film SLRs, there was an "apparent" distance from the eye piece to the ground glass of 1 meter,; the eye pieces had some kind of built in diopter to make the virtual image seem farther away.
Dave