The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X trans IQ and Olympus OMD IQ

Lordcamel

Hi everyone,

I m thinking about selling my Olympus OMD and its lenses to get on the fuji bandwagon, the IQ on the Fuji seems really stellar but I could also go on and find loads of OMD stunning pictures.

What intrigues me is the way fuji pix seems more natural and "organic" than the OMDs which might look more "plastic" ... it's very strange I don't have the words really to describe it.

What do you think is the main difference in the rendering of both fuji and omd ?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have both and both have their great sides and their downsides.

IQ is in most cases better from Fuji, but I still hate AF (despite all FW upgrades) - I am shooting the XP1. I am missing so many shots just because of this (I am using the Fuji for a lot of moving subjects and Fuji simply is not where they should be.

So be careful with selling OMD, you might regret - it is not all about stunning IQ.

Also end of the day I find the Fuji RAW IQ still a big hype and there are lot of other cameras without AA filter, which are as good or even better (D800E, K5IIs, etc....)

Lordcamel

Thanks for this ptomsu,

I agree with you when you say it's not all about IQ and indeed the OMD is almost everything I could hope for in terms of functionnality, lens choice etc ..

I just think I'm missing something, maybe I just need to get a hold of a fuji for some time and decide after more testing.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just think I'm missing something, maybe I just need to get a hold of a fuji for some time and decide after more testing.
I would do this!

You will always find cameras which are better in certain aspects / areas.

C/N for really pro fast AF (with the right models)
Leica for stunning IQ under certain conditions (not too high ISO)
Fuji as a good allrounder with great IQ and AF like RF
OMD and EP5 for a lightweight and in general overall high quality
Pentax (K5IIs) for stunning IQ and great high ISO with meanwhile a decent AF

etc. etc.

SO testing (maybe renting) the Fuji for a few days might be the best to find out if you miss something.

Ant then either buy or forget :D

hsteeves

what I like about the Fuji is the colour rendition and quality of the images. What I like about the OMD is the size and the lens line-up. Quite frankly, neither of them are as good as Dslrs in focusing in my opinion.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would concur regarding the trade offs regarding the Fuji IQ and AF. Despite what Fuji say, AF isn't great and I've also been in travel situations where it simply couldn't lock in time. I'm sure others have found this in family shooting situations with kids etc.

Picture quality is great but the AF is merely adequate and best for semi-static subjects IMHO.

retow

If you want stellar IQ, ad a Sigma DP Merrill to the OMD and continue to enjoy the things the OMD is really good at. The Fuji is not ready for primetime yet imho. Its wanna be rangefinder gestalt is intriguing, but neither the IQ (raw files) nor user interface is what they could and should be. AF gets into the way too often, shutter lag is annoying, MF implementation mediocre, ZF a pain (compared to a Leica M) and the IQ simply overhyped. My post is not to bash the camera, I have the XE-1 with the 18, 35, 60 mm primes and the 18-55m zoom and the XPro-1 in the closet (should sell it since months). The OMD excels at a few things and might even set some standards there, including AF, IS, versatility. The Fuji too desperately tries to be the better Leica rather than at beating competition in one or the other area.

retow

IQ is in most cases better from Fuji, but I still hate AF (despite all FW upgrades) - I am shooting the XP1. I am missing so many shots just because of this (I am using the Fuji for a lot of moving subjects and Fuji simply is not where they should be.

So be careful with selling OMD, you might regret - it is not all about stunning IQ.

Also end of the day I find the Fuji RAW IQ still a big hype and there are lot of other cameras without AA filter, which are as good or even better (D800E, K5IIs, etc....)
Fully agree on the IQ. And in the end, no matter how good the IQ, if the camera gets into the way to capture QI (quality images) it`s really annoying.

djonesii

Workshop Member
Debating right now if I should put the X-Pro + 3 lens kit up on the for sale board.

In the studio it does a stellar job. Have not shot in the studio for almost a year, and the day job means that will continue ....

OM-D worked out great for swim season, and that is what I will most likely be shooting in the next year. If the studio time does pop, the OM-D is not bad, just not a good as the X-Pro, which is not in the same league as the P03+ was ....

Oh the choices ....

Dave

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Well, as Dave says above the Fuji isn't a P30+ but it does fit in my jacket pocket. For the cost difference between my X-E1 and a P30+ on a decent body you can buy twenty of them with tripods and electronic trigger to stick around the set to really give you some choices for the final "keepers" and still have an overall IQ that is close.

Autofocus? The Fuji is a DOG. Period. Not much more to say about it. For most work, forget about it. The good news is manual focus is pretty easy with a Fuji. Besides, sharp is way over rated in my opinion.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
It's that good ? which one btw DP1-2-3 ?
Everything you love about the OMD your going to hate about the Merrill. Same chip I believe in all three of them the difference being the lens focal length.

Think of the Merrill as a jacket pocket version of a Large Format 8x10 in workflow & pain-in-the-*** to use, and you just about have it. Right down to the worthless to use part in low light, and the need for an overkill sized tripod.

retow

It's that good ? which one btw DP1-2-3 ?
I suggest to read the threads to these cameras with lots of pics and feedback from real users. All three of the DP Merrills share the same sensor, body and user interface so it comes mainly down to preferred focal length.

raist3d

Hi everyone,

I m thinking about selling my Olympus OMD and its lenses to get on the fuji bandwagon, the IQ on the Fuji seems really stellar but I could also go on and find loads of OMD stunning pictures.

What intrigues me is the way fuji pix seems more natural and "organic" than the OMDs which might look more "plastic" ... it's very strange I don't have the words really to describe it.

What do you think is the main difference in the rendering of both fuji and omd ?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this.
To me the IQ of the Fuji is definitively better, but that's more noticeable in my case because I often work with available light and higher ISO's. I do like the "bite" AAless xtrans can give you but you really need to use a premium raw converter that understands Xtrans well (Capture One, and Iridient now for plain detail though not so hot on the color side).

That aside, you can certainly take stunning photographs with both. Don't switch to the Fuji thinking your photos will be any better- they will be as good as the photographer you are.

My #1 reason for not liking the OMD was ergonomics. Really hate them. To my surprise Mike from theOnlinePhotographer sold his after his initial love for the same reasons apparently.

- Ricardo

raist3d

IQ is in most cases better from Fuji, but I still hate AF (despite all FW upgrades)
Check the very latest firmware upgrade. Though it may not be the improvement you are satisfied with, there's a notable improvement.

- Ricardo

raist3d

@Lord- I suggest you check out some working photographer's work for an assessment of the Fuji image quality. It's the photographer but check out the tonality, color and sharp. I have to say I disagree somewhat strongly with the IQ assessment made above and the "useless ness of the AF" - sorry but I don't think the AF is *that bad*.

In fact with the latest firmware the gap has closed between Olympus and Fuji on this one. The Olympus is still faster, but I have seen the Olympus being close to the Fuji with other lenses that are not the OMD-5 telephoto kit lens (that one is really fast, but other lenses are not as fast as that one).

Simple test if you wonder- Have an OMD-5 shoot at its lowest ISO on a shot with sky. Preferably twilight type light but even daylight can work. Look at the same shot on the Fuji. Note the noise.

- Ricardo

PS: That all said, I can't stress enough that you should not just go to the Fuji because the IQ is better. I would do it for the ergonomics and IQ together (the reason I did). But if you say you are happy with the OMD, just keep using your OMD and focus on photography. It will be better for you.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Check the very latest firmware upgrade. Though it may not be the improvement you are satisfied with, there's a notable improvement.

- Ricardo
Ricardo,

after the FW update today I am positively surprised at least with the XP1 and the 1.4/35. If this holds up also for the other lenses, then I would say that the AF difference between Fuji and OMD became minimal if noticeable anyway.

Also the OMD has some quirks with AF like the AF field size permanent change which does not work till today IMHO - at least I gave up to try. So I would say that AF is not fully perfect on both sides but became workable now also in most situations.

Peter

PS:
BTW a bit off topic - since yesterday I am lucky owner of a K5IIs and a 18-135 - man what a great camera and pretty good lens. Just love the images (DNG) and could really not say which ones are better IQ - Fuji or K5IIs. What is now pretty perfect as well is the new AF compared to the original K5.

raist3d

Ricardo,

after the FW update today I am positively surprised at least with the XP1 and the 1.4/35. If this holds up also for the other lenses, then I would say that the AF difference between Fuji and OMD became minimal if noticeable anyway.
I expect notable improvements with all the primes. The kit zoom improved, but not as much from where it was, since it was faster to begin with. The big win really is % of locks vs non locks. And accuracy. When it lock, it locks (though accuracy per se before was still pretty good).

Also the OMD has some quirks with AF like the AF field size permanent change which does not work till today IMHO - at least I gave up to try. So I would say that AF is not fully perfect on both sides but became workable now also in most situations.
I will still give the nod to the Olympus in speed. It's just that the Fuji has become quite acceptable for many situations imho. I did some street life just last night to prove whether it was a notable difference (XF35 1.4) and it was.

Also the OMD focus lock is not always accurate. That was pointed out by a friend that had the EM-5 and has the FUji now, and myself, when I tried it. But to be fair the situation where it failed to lock I put it in was not easy.

Peter

PS:
BTW a bit off topic - since yesterday I am lucky owner of a K5IIs and a 18-135 - man what a great camera and pretty good lens. Just love the images (DNG) and could really not say which ones are better IQ - Fuji or K5IIs. What is now pretty perfect as well is the new AF compared to the original K5.
I think the Fuji is pretty good but more because of the lens. But the K5IIs to me will have the best IQ overall. The K5IIS has 14 bit RAW files (so better tonality unless you have the X100s which also has 14 bit raws), and the DR is still the best of APS_C. The Fuji has the advantage of being more resistant to the color moire, but to me the Pentax K-5 line is the best DSLR I have seen, and if you want a DSLR that's it.

I would like if Pentax did new K-mount ASPC primes that were faster. There's some selection but would be nice to have a 40-54 equivalent at F1.4/F1.2. That combined with the super high ISO capability of a K-5 would be quite a tour de force.

The only reason I am going to most likely sell my K-5 is simply that I am not carrying it (as small as it is for a DSLR). I really think it's the best DSLR I have ever had. I will still recommend it highly for anyone looking for a DSLR.

- Ricardo

Lordcamel

Hi guys, thanks for all the answers, finally I am selling the OMD + 14 + 25 + 75 navitar and trying to find the X-M1 at a decent price :)

djonesii

Workshop Member
well, just shot in the studio again, still have the Fuji, and loved it! The OM-D did not even make the trip.

Will post some images on this forum over the weekend .....