The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware is out in Japan

raist3d

Definitively faster. Have tried only with xf34, don't have the kit zoom with me at the moment. Focus peaking is nice ;-)

Raist

raist3d

Kit zoom is faster but difference doesn't seem to be as big. The XF35mm is notably faster. Need to try tomorrow in daylight.

Went for half hour out and the XF35 was just locking focus far more decisively.

- Ricardo

gurtch

I need some help. I tried upgrading the firmware for the X-Pro1 body, 35mm lens, and 14mm lens. Right now the firmware is:
BODY: 2.03
35mm lens: 2.01
14mm lens: 3.0

When I try to upgrade the body and 35mm lens, the camera cancels the firmware upgrade, and says to turn off the camera. It's probably me, but I found the upgrade instructions a bit confusing as to lens/body upgrades, which should be done first, etc. I down loaded to PC, then dragged and dropped the files onto a SD memory card. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I need some help. I tried upgrading the firmware for the X-Pro1 body, 35mm lens, and 14mm lens. Right now the firmware is:
BODY: 2.03
35mm lens: 2.01
14mm lens: 3.0

When I try to upgrade the body and 35mm lens, the camera cancels the firmware upgrade, and says to turn off the camera. It's probably me, but I found the upgrade instructions a bit confusing as to lens/body upgrades, which should be done first, etc. I down loaded to PC, then dragged and dropped the files onto a SD memory card. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ
Had similar issues!

What I did wrong - I needed to move the cursor (highlight) over "yes" and then press ok.

Maybe this helps

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Kit zoom is faster but difference doesn't seem to be as big. The XF35mm is notably faster. Need to try tomorrow in daylight.

Went for half hour out and the XF35 was just locking focus far more decisively.

- Ricardo
It is more accurate and faster - have been shooting the whole evening in dim light mostly with 1.4 and results are great.

Will test the 18-55 tomorrow.

gurtch

Peter: I DID THE SAME THING!! I am now up to date!! Can't believe I was so dim witted.
Thanks!!
Dave

doc4x5

You need to upgrade the body first, without a lens on it, then each lens individually while attached to the camera. It's not terribly intuitive. The 35 is faster, not much difference with the 14, the 60 is definitely better but it's still the slowest of all, but that's understandable given it's longer throw for macro focusing. The 18-55 is also better.

raist3d

You need to upgrade the body first, without a lens on it, then each lens individually while attached to the camera. It's not terribly intuitive. The 35 is faster, not much difference with the 14, the 60 is definitely better but it's still the slowest of all, but that's understandable given it's longer throw for macro focusing. The 18-55 is also better.
FWIW I have always updated the firmware of the camera with a lens attached without any problems.

The other important aspect of the upgrade is not just the speed but that the camera locks (at least with the XF35) almost all the time and locks spot on. I didn't have a lot of bad AF before but they could happen and sometimes a lack of being able to AF. That's gone. And yes, it's faster.

Amazing work from Fuji.

- Ricardo

doc4x5

Just to be a curmudgeon, the instructions in step 3 do say to do it with the lens removed..."1. Turn the camera on while holding down the [BACK] button, while XF lens is not attached to the camera body." I have no doubt that one can do it with the lens attached, indeed one chooses "body" or "lens." Messing with firmware always makes me nervous, probably because of the ubiquitous warning that if you screw it up, the camera won't function. Fortunately I've managed to upgrade my Fuji, Nikon, and Olympus cameras without issue. Have some sympathy for those of us with a certain amount of OCD (and who read the directions), no offense to those who want to test the system.