Site Sponsors

Thread: Zeiss 12mm Touit for Fuji

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss 12mm Touit for Fuji

Has anyone used this lens on a X-Pro1 or X-E1? I have found a few reviews, but all were sponsored reviews and results were as I expected i.e. greatest lens ever.

Also would appreciate any feedback on Fuji's 14mm.

Sincerely
    Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss 12mm Touit for Fuji

I have both, used on XPRO-1.
    Was planning to sell the 14, but haven't since the fields of view are quite different.
    Results from both are excellent and I couldn't make a choice based on image quality.
    The Fuji is smaller and the manual focus with depth of field scale is quite useful.
    Provide me with an email address (mine is [email protected]) and I will be happy to send you some RAF files from both via "we transfer"
    regards, maurice
    maurice da silva solis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul, I havent tried the Touit yet, but I do own the 14mm f/2.8. I put up a first report about it on my blog with my X-E1 that you may be interested in reading. Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 R First Report | The Camera Forum

My bottom line is I love the lens & Fuji combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to both of you for the info. I am leaning towards the 14mm mainly due to price. But I may rent both to try out from lens rentals.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul, that sounds like the best solution by far! Why not just try both, and find out which works for you. Both are going to be great lenses, from what I am hearing from others that have used the Zeiss. You would not be going wrong with either choice. I shot a 21mm on my M's for so many years that the 14mm Fuji was a natural choice for me, but I will admit there are times I do wish for an even wider lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul,

I did a review over at the Fuji forums (and I don't think I raved that the Touits were the greatest thing ever) - you can check it out here:

12mm and 32mm Zeiss Touit: A Photo Review - Staff Product Reviews - Fuji X Forum

What I did see in respect to the 12mm is that the performance was very similar to the Fuji. But in the final analysis, I like the manual controls of the 14mm much better and don't really see a reason to go with the Zeiss unless you need or want those extra two degrees. If you do, then the Zeiss is great.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

p.s. I think Popflash has a try out program going on the Zeiss 12mm. Not sure what it entails...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone compared the 12mm Zeiss to the Cosina Voigtlander M 12mm?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Has anyone compared the 12mm Zeiss to the Cosina Voigtlander M 12mm?
    I haven't compared it to the 12, but I do own the CV 15mm. I feel like the Zeiss has better contrast, and love the AF on my X-Pro 1. If I didn't already own the 15 I'd probably pull the trigger on the Zeiss, but it's a harder sell with the 15 sitting in my bag. Both a great choices.

Post Thanks / Like

I am posting here as a placeholder; I should get my X-E1 this week, and I want to try the CV 12/5.6 on it (and use the in-camera vignetting, colour cast, and pincushion controls (although having used this lens on the M-module where it performed very will, I doubt any distortion correction will needed).

And I will read your review of the 14, Chuck; this time around, I am going 12/14, 27/2.8, and 56/1.2 as my three-lens kit. I have macro and tilt covered with Oly lenses and the new Hawk's helicoid adapter for a really close view.

Post Thanks / Like

12mm is too wide for me, actually 14 is but it's such a great lens I went and got one. I'm from a wildlife background and used to just carry a fixed 24 and or 35 along with all that big heavy stuff. So my lens of choice would be a 16mm (24) but there ain't one yet. Maybe the 16-55 f2.8 will replace my 14 and 18-55 but I digress. From what I hear you'd be happy with either.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, you won't be sorry with the 14mm, it is a great lens choice for a quality optic. Also, do NOT discount that new 23mm f/1.4. It is a real stunner! We will have a first look review up on it shortly, soon as I can get the prose written ;=) The bottom line though is it is a great lens… possibly even sharper than any of the others. It will cut your eyeballs for sure with the excellent micro contrast.

Back on topic, I took a real hard look at the Zeiss Truits in the store. Even shot several test frames with each to examine in more detail at home. Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed at what I saw. Maybe it is my type of work, but I don't see any advantage to the 12mm Truit over the 14mm f/2.8 Fuji. In fact, I prefer the drawing signature of the Fuji. Fuji is clearly on a tear with the X mount lenses. There isn't what I would call a "dog" in the lot, and all of them are reasonably priced for a value laden optic. I also find it impressive that even the now discontinued X-E1 continues to enjoy firmware update support. Hence, adding extended value to that body and the whole Fuji lineup.

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck, thanks for that heads-up re. your review. I have shot quite a few frames with the new (actually, this is my second X-E1) and I am loving it. This is a completely different camera to my first X-E1, frankly. Not to hijack the thread, but the firmware updates (the key ones being adding peaking and improving AF) completely change the experience of using this camera. And its ergonomics and UI are just excellent. I have not shot a single frame with the GX7 bodies since this arrived...

I can report that using the CV12/5.6 on the X-E1 (and the excellent Fuji M-mount adapter) is a painless experience. MF is a breeze and zone focus is likewise a snap with this lens. I have not added any in-camera adjustments (vignetting, colour cast, and pincushion controls), but I may when I make the time. These controls only affect the jpgs in any case, of course (but the jpegs are so convenient to use and are lovely).

I will get the Fuji 14 in time, but for now, using the X-E1 with the 27/2.8 pancake with the CV12/5.6 and an old Rokkor 50/1.4 is working very nicely. How good are the MF aids on this camera!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know your post was directed at Kit, Chuck, but I find it helpful as well. I'm considering the 14mm, as it's been part of the draw for me to build a new Fuji kit.

I prefer primes for landscape work (and many other things), but I'll also be curious how the new 10-24mm performs. I'm thinking that if it's stellar, it will make a fine wide for mountain hikes, providing a bit more control for composing in the viewfinder (as I always prefer), and avoiding cropping in post.

As you say, I feel Fuji are really doing a nice job on most fronts. I'm a bit "anxious" that they're not showing a reasonably fast prime in the 75-90mm range. This has me looking at the Voigtland 75mm f/1.8, but I'd rather have a native Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale, I will be very interested in that lens as well; I had two copies of Nikon's excellent 1424 over the years I was into that FF system, and I am sure that Fuji's offering will be close to it, if not better, based on the other lenses' performances.

Stephen (cameraquest) writes (about the 75/1.8):
    SUPER SHARP is not what most people find pleasing in portraits, especially if those most people are female. Granted, opinions will vary, but that is mine.
    Assuming he is talking wide open, or near it, I wonder how it perfoms stopped down? (I wonder, because this is how you will use it for landscapes, or is another purpose what you have in mind?

The 75/2.5 has a lovely form factor, is smaller and lighter, and IIRC is sharp wide open. Great to have the choice.
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 24th January 2014 at 20:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Dale, I will be very interested in that lens as well; I had two copies of Nikon's excellent 1424 over the years I was into that FF system, and I am sure that Fuji's offering will be close to it, if not better, based on the other lenses' performances.

Stephen (cameraquest) writes (about the 75/1.8):

Assuming he is talking wide open, or near it, I wonder how it per foams stopped down? (I wonder, because this is how you will use it for landscapes, or is another purpose what you have in mind?

The 75/2.5 has a lovely form factor, is smaller and lighter, and IIRC is sharp wide open. Great to have the choice.
    Kit, I had the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L II, and the EF-S 10-24mm (for the APS-C sensor) and liked them both.

I have read that the 75mm f/1.8 is gently "soft" or less contrasty wide open and at close distance (purposefully, supposedly), and really pops when stopped down a bit and distance increases. I don't know about all of this, as I've not tested it, but I do find it interesting.

I've enjoyed walking around Bangkok at times with 85mm f/1.2 L or 135mm f/2.0 L and shooting people as well as general "street life scenes", fruit, street food, whatever. Of course the 24-70mm f/2.8 L always served me quite well, too. This Fuji kit is discrete, where those bits were not. I'm looking forward to taking my X-E2 to BKK next month and see what I get into.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale, I very much look forward to seeing your BKK images. Please let us all know about that 75, if you do get the faster one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Kit. I'm thinking very seriously about trying the 75mm f/1.8. I've promised myself to build the kit slowly (because I'm one to prefer larger sensors, so I want to be sure I'm committed to this format), but I'm definitely getting the itch to have something a bit longer than my current two-lens kit. I don't think it would be difficult to sell the 75 if it didn't work for my needs, since there are so many Fujis and now the Sony A7/r market – at least until Fuji answer my call for the native fast prime.

Post Thanks / Like

Both lenses have been favourably commented on over at the Leica User's Forum, if you follow THIS thread. I could not look at the images (my membership there has lapsed). And apparently Sean Reid reviewed both over at his paid site (my subscription ran out there two weeks ago!). If you do get the ƒ1.8 version, I will be very interested in your reactions. My preference for the smaller ƒ2.5 is weight and handling. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Kit, I've not seen the f/2.5 around lately. I recognize that it is an attractive lens for some, and now there are fewer available on the used market. I could live with f/2.5 for most of my needs as well. Like you, I value the compactness of it. But since it's been discontinued I figured I should try the f/1.8. The greater brightness should contribute to the manual focus experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cameraquest.com still has the 75/2.5 listed for sale and available. $689. It is screw mount of course, so you also need the SM to M adapter.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Cameraquest.com still has the 75/2.5 listed for sale and available. $689. It is screw mount of course, so you also need the SM to M adapter.

Gary
    Thanks, Gary. I had missed that. I'm leaning towards the f/1.8, but I admit I do like the size of the f/2.5. I don't think I want to mess screw-mount either, preferring the M-mount (more salable, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

Dale, the tiny (mm or so think) and light (think grams) LTM–Leica M adapter should give you no cause for any concern; my CV 12/5.6 uses one and once it's screwed on, you'll forget about it. And I have not found that using this mount affects saleability for me. The tiny adapter can be marked to bing up Leica framelines too, as I understand it.

Interestingly today, my version of the 12/5.6 is more expensive than the M-mount version, but the reverse is true for the 15.

Anyhow, on reflection, I am finding these days that ergonomic considerations are tending to trump all others for me, now that IQ is simply good enough for the things I do. Using the X-E1 around the house this last week with the pancake and a number of OM and CV lenses has been so much fun and I love both the feeling of the camera in the hand, and the sheer brilliance of the MF aids (as mentioned, I use focus peaking combined with focus magnification).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kit, Thanks for your input on mount. I was just re-thinking my earlier comment and perhaps softening on my idea that screw mount would be less desirable.

I like the idea of f/1.8 for some types of things that I do, but there is a serious difference in size b/n it and the f/2.5. The size and weight of the latter is very attractive.

I need to get an understanding of just how soft either of these lenses are wide open, or nearly so. I'm not looking for an exclusive-use portrait lens, and know that I will be looking for detail and sharpness for some of what I like to do – including out to the corners when stopped down. Some say the two are similar, while others suggest the f/2.5 is not as soft wide open as the f/1.8. I've not seen any side-by-comparisons. I'm not a pixel peeper, but I don't like "mushy" or soft images with non-portraits (or even portraits). It's apparent that stopped down the lenses perform pretty well. At least the APS-C sensor is just using the center of the glass.

The other characteristics I'm looking at are CA and Longitudinal CA. I'm under the impression (perhaps wrongly so) that the f/2.5 suffers from more fringing and CA.

So far, many samples I've seen (e.g. on flickr or other fora) have not been particularly helpful for evaluation purposes. The portrait that Gary linked (in the Sony thread) does show more than most others I've found.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale, did you follow up on that thread I posted above; you will need to become a member to see the pics, and there are a few there.

Or Sean's site (pay site) will provide an exhaustive (and exhausting) comparison and analysis and from memory, the subscription is $35 or thereabouts—could be worth subscribing just for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Kit, yes I did follow your link and the others within that thread (as well as a number of other search results). I had first forgotten to register to see the images on the link you provided (I had a ton of windows and tabs open), so had to go back to it. I like the 75 f/2.5 samples there. I've been wondering if the f/1.8 would lack a bit of contrast "punch" for me, and it appears the f/2.5 may deliver a bit more there. Still, CA is a potential issue.

I'll probably follow your suggestion and subscribe to Sean's site to read his review. And/or I'll just order the f/1.8 form B&H and give it a whirl. I may be leaning now towards the f/2.5 though, if I can shoot it wide open much of the time. The f/1.8 I'd probably shoot stopped down a bit much of the time anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

All good thinking, Dale, and we'll all be interested in your findings, I am sure. I shot a lot or portraits commercially over many years, and most people really are not enamoured of the 'single eye in focus' approach, I believe. When shooting FF, I used to use ƒ2.8–4 pretty much exclusively. If the 2.5 is sharp enough wide open, that would give a similar OOF area effect, I suspect. And with min. focussing distance being 1m, no problem in getting a bit closer and using that relationship to improve the bokeh.

Also, see HERE; nice assessment and he says CA is not a problem. And page 3 has a bunch of examples shot WO and at ƒ6.7.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, Kit. I, too, shoot (and have shot) a lot of portrait-type images in the f/2.8-4 range. Of course, all of the spacial geometry applies, so each situation is different (distance to subject, distance from subject to background, focal length, sensor size…).

Thanks for the additional link and information. I'll certainly check that out. Frankly, a nice way to go would be to just buy both and sell whichever one (or both) doesn't do the trick… but then I might be tempted to keep both. Best to go slow.

EDIT: Kit, I had read the Photozone info in my earlier searches. There's a post regarding the 75 on a Canon body as well there. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dale, I would add that you may want to have a look at an older Leica 90mm Elmarit like I am using for portraits. At f/5.6 it is both forgiving and still has that excellent micro contrast. Not real expensive either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chuck. I've been looking at just such options. If I was looking for a pure (or mostly) portrait lens, used at normal portrait distances, I'd be a little less hesitant of lens which were a little less contrasty, or even subtly soft – if the character is there. But I'm looking for this lens to do some "street duty" where I shoot people and other scenes in Asia and I need/want a fair bit of contrast wide open (or nearly so). I'm not necessarily looking for razor thin DoF, but need the background separation while shooting a bit more distant.

I appreciate the input provided by you and Kit (and Gary), as it's helping me think about what I really want this lens to do. If Fuji had the perfect 75-90mm prime I'd start with that, but since I'm looking at 3rd-party options, manual focus, etc. I'm considering all of these options.