Site Sponsors

Thread: AF speed Fuji X100(s) vs. Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

AF speed Fuji X100(s) vs. Ricoh GR

Hi

does anybody has both cameras and can share his experience with AF speed and reliabilty and good and bad light of both cameras?

I use currently the X100 and want to decide whether I add a Ricoh GR or upgrade my X100 to the Fuji X100s.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AF speed Fuji X100(s) vs. Ricoh GR

X100s is faster, X100 is on par with the GR, although I found my GR to not always be that accurate on lower contrast subjects and in lower light levels.

The MF and snap focus features are great, and many love them, but I tend to prefer reliable AF which is one of the main reasons I ended up returning my GR.

Post Thanks / Like

I rented both an X100 and X100S for an A-B comparison before opting to buy a used X100. Focus definitely faster on the X100S -- write speed for raw files also significantly faster.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    X100s is faster, X100 is on par with the GR, although I found my GR to not always be that accurate on lower contrast subjects and in lower light
    This is what I've experienced too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

X100s is generally faster although in good light they are pretty close. The GR takes a bigger speed hit when the lights go down.

I've owned both (currently have the GR) and in my opinion the GR excels in situations where you want to take a photo quickly as opposed to focusing quickly.

I'm referring here to the auto snap function where AF functions normally with a half press but a full button mash will give you near instant capture at a user preset distance. This is a brilliant implementation but it heavily favors street type shooting - or really, any moments where you just want that instant snapshot. Now that I have access to this feature I find myself using it often.

Post Thanks / Like

My GR focuses faster than my X100 , both suffer equally in low light though. G
    James Thorpe
    Blog
    Flikr