The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many people are going to upgrade to the X-E2

kuau

Workshop Member
With the announcement today of the X-E2 are there any get dpi people going to upgrade
Or....

Is everyone selling there Fuji kit and going for the Sony A7 / A7r

peterb

Sorry no A7r. Also, for me, not an upgrade. A first time Fuji purchase. I have liked the Fuji from afar but wasn't wild about the original executions. If the specs of the X-E2 (particularly the faster AF and 2.3M OLED EVF) are correct this camera with the new 23mm f1.4 (which should give it has X100s IQ) and the upcoming 56mm f1.2 would be a killer kit for me. I will probably later add the 14mm super wide and the 55-200mm zoom.

I had been mulling the Sony A7's and even the Olympus and Pany's GX7 but honestly, I was looking for a compact ILC camera toreplace my aging Lumix G1 and supplement my Sigma Dp2 Merrill and the X-E2 fills the bill. Excellent hi ISO IQ, Excellent OOC jpgs, no AA, Moire fighting a larger, APS-C X-trans sensor (I liked mFT but I now lean toward a bigger sensor), quiet shutter and a totally unobtrusive form factor. The A7r is nice but even the initial Zeiss lenses didn't wow me and the idea of a clunky adapter to fit existing Zeiss A mount glass didn't work for me either. I did like the idea of a 24mp or even 36mp FF sensor for the improved bokeh capability and I would have considered a kit with the also announced Samyang 35mm and 85mm f1.4's (because Sony really has mastered peaking like no one else so focus would be quite snappy!) but I would be happy with 20 x 30" prints that the Fuji would definitely be capable of for the gallery work I do.

So my conclusion: the Fuji fills the bill for me in spades.

(But if only it had an articulating LCD. <sigh>)

kuau

Workshop Member
Peter good analysis.
I have an X-e1 now with the Fuji 14 and 35, plus the Fuji M adaptor for use with my Zeiss 50/2 ZM and 85/4 ZM.
I also have an Sony A99 with some Zeiss glass.

I placed an order with my local photo store for the X-E2 body. Maybe I will be lucky and get in on the first shipment. I think the EVF is the same as the X-E1 yet it has a faster refresh rate and wysiwyg display option which I feel is a big plus. like Sony does it, though I am sure the focus peaking will no where as good as Sony does it. That's cool though.

I maybe would have been more tempted if the A7 24MP had no AA. 36mp does not interest me and also a 24/36MP camera using an adaptor I think it not a great solution. Though everyone will do just that, and I think they will be in for a big surprise. Especially the 36MP A7r. They better get there tripods and cable releases ready.

I guess I will keep me Fuji kit for the near future and see how the Sony really shakes out.
I know 99% of us get dpi people are going to order one. Ie. Teri B, Guy M, Jono S. Vivek, you know the usual suspects.

I plan to enter the Fuji X system with the X-E2. This will be my first digital system where the primary goal is not to use my legacy MF lenses, but the system's native AF lenses. For me, the big attraction of full-frame has always been that it allows use of my lenses as they were intended, in terms of FOV and DOF. Inherent sensor-size advantages were a secondary bonus.

I shoot primes and won't be adapting any lenses for this system. The XF primes are by all accounts superlative, with spacing and fast apertures reminiscent of some core Leica M lenses. It will be possible to more or less mirror a Leica kit consisting of 21/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 75/1.4.

The improvements over the X-E1 may be incremental, but they are certainly not incidental: sensor, processor speed (and EVF refresh rate), AF system. Reducing lag time in the viewing and focusing systems is a big deal for the user. The slowish EVF refresh rate of the X-E1 really lost me, but I have high hopes that the X-E2 will be close enough to my A99 to present as a tool and not a toy.

The A7 and A7r don't attract me so much. Sony's announced primes don't call out to my inner Leica M shooter the way Fuji's existing and soon-to-come primes do, although more will be forthcoming. In-body image stabilization is very nice to have in the A99, and I'd hoped to see it in Sony's next small FF offerings. The fact that the A7 and A7r don't have it suggests there may be technical issues with implementing it for FF in a compact body. With Sony's announcement, I feel freed to stop waiting for this feature and it evens the mirrorless playing field for me a bit.

David Schneider

I am upgrading to XE2 and selling my XE1. I've been testing the XE1 in my studio and it equals my 5Dmk2. I think the XE2 will speed up what I do when autofocsing. Plus the hybrid focusing might make it useable for little sports duty or wedding receptions. I originally bought it for travel and improvements like more Fn buttons will make it better for all around use.

etrigan63

I am selling my X-E1 as well, but I am switching to the Olympus OM-D E-M1 instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Since a Fotosys macro spacer damaged the contacts in my X-E1 I decided that while it's being repaired that I'd get it converted to 650nm IR. I'm ordering a X-E2 body to replace it. The new X100s sensor, better AF, bigger LCD, better control layout and wifi are all worthwhile additions IMHO.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It will take 6-12 months to upgrade. With the XE1 & XP1 I feel no pressure to upgrade. I try to be an 11 month shooter. That way I always have a real warranty. After the first run beta buyers get the XE2 and get their bugs fixed, then I'll consider it.

I bought the EX-2 today..

I purchased the E-X2 at the DFW Photo Expo today. Lots of good things about this little camera. Reading the manual now and will post some samples soon.

My X-Pro 1 will be up for sale soon as the E-X2 has just about everything I need.. but right off the top.. one of the best EVFs I have used to date AND a built-in adjustable diopter.. the XP1 really needed that.

More thoughts and some photos to come.

kuau

Workshop Member
Just got my X-E2 black. I purchased the kit with the zoom lens, so what I ended up doing is selling my X-E1 with the kit lens that came with my new X-E2 was pretty easy to sell. So my upgrade cost was $600.00 not great but I am really liking the new XE2.
Love Fuji new implementation of the EVF, works just the way I had hoped for.

retow

IQ, lenses, manual controls and form factor always spoke for the Fuji. With its improved performance the X-E2 looks like a well rounded package and I will upgrade. I recently purchased a GX7. A nice camera, but the mft IQ is still lacking and I miss the aperture rings on the lenses. It`s a sale.

redsim74

I decided to stick with my X-E1 and made a lens investment instead. Picked up the 35/1.4 on the weekend, which will do more for me than a new body right now.

Re: I bought the EX-2 today..

I purchased the E-X2 at the DFW Photo Expo today. Lots of good things about this little camera. Reading the manual now and will post some samples soon.

My X-Pro 1 will be up for sale soon as the E-X2 has just about everything I need.. but right off the top.. one of the best EVFs I have used to date AND a built-in adjustable diopter.. the XP1 really needed that.

More thoughts and some photos to come.
I would be really interested in a comparison between the XE-2 and the old X-Pro1. Especially with the viewfinder of the XE-2 in bright sunlight and very low light compared to an optical viewfinder of the X-Pro1.

Also the question whether the optical viewfinder makes sense with the zooms would be interesting once the EVF of the XE-2 is so much improved.

I am mainly interested in the 35/1.4 and 55-200 zoom for shooting my kids...

I would be really interested in a comparison between the XE-2 and the old X-Pro1. Especially with the viewfinder of the XE-2 in bright sunlight and very low light compared to an optical viewfinder of the X-Pro1.

Also the question whether the optical viewfinder makes sense with the zooms would be interesting once the EVF of the XE-2 is so much improved.

I am mainly interested in the 35/1.4 and 55-200 zoom for shooting my kids...
I will be going out this afternoon to shoot and will hopefully have some photos to share and some thoughts on using the camera.

The EVF is quite amazing.. much better than the EVF on the X-Pro 1... even in low light (I fiddled with it in dark rooms last night..much better).

When I bought the X-Pro1 I thought the OVF would be handy to have.. but the truth is that I have rarely used it. I do not have the 55-200 but do have the 35.

Check out the review here: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_x_e2_review/

All in all, it boils down to smaller size, faster, WiFi and other improvements.. having a built in diopter is great as well. I like to travel light and the X-E2 will be very easy to carry and use.

Last edited:

That is interesting. The only reason why I thought about an X-Pro1 was the OVF. Apart from that, I found it too big vs. the XE-1.

I use a Fuji X100 and prefer theer the OVF over the EVF. I just keep "connected" to the scene. I do not miss a movement with the OVF.

I am really curious how much better the EVF of the XE-2 is in this regard, so that there might be no difference anymore between OVF and EVF in this "feeling of beeing connected"...

scott

Jim, hope you will add some XE-2 photos to your site as well, interested to hear your comments on this camera. Thanks for taking the time to do so.
Scott