The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do you suggest, and why.

archiM44

Before I go into your question, I would like to express my admiration and thanks for your work, both for the magnificent photographs and your texts which accompanied and enriched the images.
As to the choice between the two, I just received the 23/1.4 today and was (unpleasantly) surprised by its size and weight and how clumsy it seemed on my XPRO 1. Compared to my Leica M9 with summilux 35/1.4 asph it is a monster and my first shots show it doesn't even come close in image quality at 1.4 and 2.0. ( I now for the first time nearly regret selling my Leica M9's and lenses after some 40 years of Leica since 35mm is still my favorite focal length a feeling I never had with the x100 and x100s)
I took a series of shots (flash, no tripod) at about 4m. of the well filled storage wall shelves in my garage to compare
it with my X100s at 2.0, 2.8, 4.0 and 5.6. and the results aren't very convincing in favor of the new lens.
At 1.4 I find it soft and and at 2.0 it is maybe a tiny bit better than my X100s.
Handling of the x100s is a joy but I find that the XPRO 1 becomes a lot less pleasant with this lens on it. The only advantage is that you can take one body and have more focal lengths to choose from.
I will try some serious comparisons tomorrow, but my first impression is that for 35mm the X100s stays.

archiM44

I again compared the two this morning more carefully and compared the RAF files in Capture One Pro.
Across the frame at f2.0 and f2.8 sharpness and micro contrast show little or no difference at 100% and may even favor the x100s.
A very obvious difference is the color rendering. The cameras give different white balances (daylight taken within a few minutes of each other) and even trying to give the same color rendering using the white balance is virtually impossible. Obviously the lenses render color differently which was also the case between my Leica 35mm 1.4 asph and my 35mm 2.0 asph which was truly tiny in size.
As of now, I think I will take my financial loss and the 23mm/1.4 will go. Its image quality is no better even in the corners, its size is disappointing, and the ability to shoot high iso and have quality means the extra stop is not a necessity for me. (reason why I switched to Fuji from the M9)
best regards

rayyan

maurice, very grateful to you my friend.

A very valuable personal observation and experienced suggestion on your part.

I shall heed it and go for a 100S.

Thank you so very much for giving me of your time.

Kind regards.

archiM44

I just came across this article on a spanish site which I follow.
Fujinon XF 23 mm f/1,4 R
They are quite enthusiastic about the 23/1.4.
I hope that Zeiss try making a Touit 23 or 24mm Touit f2.0 with about the size of the 32mm which I have. That I would pick up with pleasure.
kind regards

rayyan

I just came across this article on a spanish site which I follow.
Fujinon XF 23 mm f/1,4 R
They are quite enthusiastic about the 23/1.4.
I hope that Zeiss try making a Touit 23 or 24mm Touit f2.0 with about the size of the 32mm which I have. That I would pick up with pleasure.
kind regards
maurice, thanks for the link. I shall visit it.

But as you have mentioned, the lens is big for the XE1..hence I shall pass. The 100s is on order.:D

Take care.