Site Sponsors

Thread: x-Pro1 wide angle for shift adapter

Post Thanks / Like

x-Pro1 wide angle for shift adapter

Hi,
    I have a Kipon shift adapter and I am looking for a wide angle lens with a nikon mount and aperture ring. I really want something with a 35mm equivalence in the range of 18-24mm. I would be using this lens to photograph architecture and landscapes. I have tried the 24mm Nikon AFD and I was pleased with the results and I know the 20mm version will work but the focal length is a bit long. I am considering the nikon 14mm prime, the samyang 14mm, Tamron 17mm RMC, and the Zeiss 18mm (which will be a bit long but could be a good compromise).

Does anyone have experience with a super wide on a shift adapter? Are there any lenses I might be overlooking? Thanks for your help.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Re: x-Pro1 wide angle for shift adapter

I have used some of my older wide angle Nikons on Micro 4/3 bodies with a shift adapter. I can offer some other lens choices based on my experiences that may also apply to you despite being on the Fuji X System.

I've tried the Nikon 24 & 20mm lenses. As you have found, they're good, but too long. I do have a Nikon 15mm MF Rectilinear lens. But it's really heavy and kind of tricky to use on a shift adapter. I've found that my Sigma 14mm was also too large and heavy.

My go to lens has been the Nikon 18mm. Which I think is also Rectilinear in the older MF designs. There is a modern AF-D f2.8 model too. All the older ones are f3.5/f4.0. All versions have an aperture ring.

I've been very happy with my copy, despite being a 'user' copy, it's optical performance has been great for me. I think I've had it about 7 or 8 years or more now. Hadn't really used it on DX Nikon, preferred to use my 15mm. Used it a bit on FX Nikon, and the last two years or so on Micro 4/3 with shift and also tilt adapters.

Info on the 18mm Nikon:
    Nikkor 18mm f/3.5s Super wideangle Lens

I am not sure what the current online or KEH prices for them are. You'd probably be able to get the older MF versions a lot cheaper than the AF-D versions.

Chris
    www.partnersinrum.com www.flickr.com/photos/crm_pir/
    Panasonic Gear: GF1, GF1 IR, GH1, GH2 Nikon Gear: D700*2, D300, D70 IR
    Many more Nikon DSLRs & 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 Film gear too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmcmillan View Post
    I have used some of my older wide angle Nikons on Micro 4/3 bodies with a shift adapter. I can offer some other lens choices based on my experiences that may also apply to you despite being on the Fuji X System.

I've tried the Nikon 24 & 20mm lenses. As you have found, they're good, but too long. I do have a Nikon 15mm MF Rectilinear lens. But it's really heavy and kind of tricky to use on a shift adapter. I've found that my Sigma 14mm was also too large and heavy.

My go to lens has been the Nikon 18mm. Which I think is also Rectilinear in the older MF designs. There is a modern AF-D f2.8 model too. All the older ones are f3.5/f4.0. All versions have an aperture ring.

I've been very happy with my copy, despite being a 'user' copy, it's optical performance has been great for me. I think I've had it about 7 or 8 years or more now. Hadn't really used it on DX Nikon, preferred to use my 15mm. Used it a bit on FX Nikon, and the last two years or so on Micro 4/3 with shift and also tilt adapters.

Info on the 18mm Nikon:
    Nikkor 18mm f/3.5s Super wideangle Lens

I am not sure what the current online or KEH prices for them are. You'd probably be able to get the older MF versions a lot cheaper than the AF-D versions.

Chris
    Thank you Chris for the reply, I am going to research that 18mm and possibly give it a try. I just ordered a Samyang 14mm to test. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Kipon shift adapter and I am looking for a wide angle lens with a nikon mount and aperture ring. I really want something with a 35mm equivalence in the range of 18-24mm.
    Does anyone have experience with a super wide on a shift adapter?
    I have a Kipon shift as well as a tilt/shift adapter (and then 7 more) for Nikon F-mount lenses. I use them with three wide-angle lenses.

My favorite is the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 RMC. The widest in my collection, but with some noticeable blurring towards the edges of the FF image circle. Step it down to f/8-f/11 and it is very useable.

Next is a Nikon AF-D 20mm f/2.8. Probably the sharpest of the trio, with a well-delimited image circle, but with some hard to correct distortion (critical for some architecture work).

Last but not least: a Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8. Quite good, but generally not wide enough to my taste.

All three lenses by the way work well with my Metabones Speed Booster too.

I have reported my findings with the Kipon and other adapters across various forums dedicated to Fuji X cameras. This information will be added shortly to my new fujixtras.blogspot.com blog. Details of my Speed Booster testing are already up there.

I hope you enjoy this versatile adapter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdelbar View Post
    I have a Kipon shift as well as a tilt/shift adapter (and then 7 more) for Nikon F-mount lenses. I use them with three wide-angle lenses.

My favorite is the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 RMC. The widest in my collection, but with some noticeable blurring towards the edges of the FF image circle. Step it down to f/8-f/11 and it is very useable.

Next is a Nikon AF-D 20mm f/2.8. Probably the sharpest of the trio, with a well-delimited image circle, but with some hard to correct distortion (critical for some architecture work).

Last but not least: a Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8. Quite good, but generally not wide enough to my taste.

All three lenses by the way work well with my Metabones Speed Booster too.

I have reported my findings with the Kipon and other adapters across various forums dedicated to Fuji X cameras. This information will be added shortly to my new fujixtras.blogspot.com blog. Details of my Speed Booster testing are already up there.

I hope you enjoy this versatile adapter!

Thank you for your reply. I actually read your post over at the x forum while researching the subject.

Cheers.