The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100S lens sharpness

soboyle

I usually don't do too much pixel peeping, just when I first get a lens to look at its characteristics. I recently picked up a X100S, and found the lens to be very sharp in the center, but falling off at the edges where it is very soft. This doesn't seem to fit with what I have heard about the X100S, known to have very high image quality. I sent the camera in to Fuji, and it came back with a replaced optical assembly, calibrated and adjusted. And the images look exactly the same, very sharp center, very soft edges, especially at wide apertures, but even at f/8, f/11 on distant subjects.
So I wanted to get X100S owners feedback here, is your lens soft at the edges? Is this a characteristics of the camera, or is there something up with my copy that is not related to the optical assembly. Perhaps there is some type of alignment issue.

archiM44

Hello Shaun
I did some testing a couple of days ago to compare it with the 23mm/1.4 which I had just received and found it to be softer in the corners than in the center, but not that much softer. If you wish, I can send you the RAF files using wesendit. The x100s compared very favorably with the 23mm on my Xpro1, maybe even beating it.
regards

soboyle

Maurice
Thanks for the offer to send along a file or 2 to compare, that would be helpful.
I'll send a PM with my contact info.