The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Latest Fuji promotion - a dilemma

biglouis

I've been slowly selling all my film kit in anticipation of filling the void with a new camera system. I mainly do urban and country landscape stuff.

So far I've been thinking about going Sony and indeed have the new A7r on pre-order.

Problem is I have just seen the latest offer from Fuji which means that basically I can get the X-pro 1 and two lenses for GBP 999. Actually, I would have to add the 14/2.8 as I really want a 21mm equivalent wide angle and I would almost certainly put the 28mm up on ebay to get some cash back. I reckon I could end up with the body, 14mm and 35mm lenses for around GBP 1500. The 21 gives me a nice wide angle and I do like shooting landscape with a 50 equiv as well. I'm well covered for 35mm with my RX1 and I also own both the DPM2 and 3 (the latter is just outstanding in the right light for portrait stuff).

I've always been impressed with the Fuji X Pro 1 and have almost pressed the button a couple of times.

I like the weight and the fact that the sensor is without the AA filter. I especially like the 16MP file size which is plenty enough for most purposes in this day and age.

Question is: is the X Pro 1 just too old or is it still a good buy? I really like the optical/electronic viewfinder and not that attracted to the XE-2 for some odd reason as an alternative.

Also, are Fuji dumping the X Pro 1 in favour of something coming down the pike?

I just love a good deal in photography and this latest promotion is making me think it really is too good to be true.

LouisB

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't have an X-Pro1, but I know two who have sold theirs recently in anticipation of the X-Pro2. Does it matter? Not the slightest, unless there are sides to the X-Pro1 that you can't live with. You can be very sure that the new model will be significantly more expensive too, but this is coming from someone who mostly buys last years model :)

DavidL

The rumour mill says, and this was sort of confirmed by a guy representing fuji I recently spoke to.
A new camera in the new year with better EVF and weatherproof. Perhaps a Pro1 update. However the Pro2 won't be until the end of next year.
Site to keep an eye on Rumors | Fuji Rumors
On an aside the PRO 1 is a lot bigger than the X-E1 and the X-E1's EVF is better than the Pro-1's. I'm not a fan of the optical finder on the PRO-1 but that's a personal thing.
David

Sapphie

Hi Louis

I can only suggest you stay away from photography fora, web sites etc. Like I am going to do from now on.

I started my Fuji life with the X100 (the original one) and loved it, despite getting sticky apertures twice. That viewfinder was and still is remarkable. I still have it and will never part. A year later I fell hook line and sinker for the X-Pro 1/X-trans hype. I don't know why. Do you know how much it cost when it first came out? No, I can't bear to remember or I will need therapy. Anyway, that aside and 'early adopter' lesson well and truly learnt, I can say that my relationship with the X-Pro was not so much love at first sight as the X100. I really loved the OVF on the X100 and its ability to also provide an EVF. I tend to find EVFs really hard to see through, especially in bright sun light (yes, OK, how often does that happen) and quite often have to shield the side of a camera with my hand. So the OVF was a real blessing. I had to get used to the parallax issues etc, which I did.

When I moved to the X-Pro the OVF was somehow not quite so awesome, it seemed slightly smaller and the framelines were not as accurate - I initially got quite annoyed by that. On top of that there was the image quality. With the X100 the JPEGS were phenomenal. X-Pro? Well, on the face of it they looked great colour-wise, tonally etc but there really is a lot of smoothing/noise reduction going on. So, to the RAWs and the now infamous 'foliage' issue. Yes, I could see that too. The RAWs were better than the JPEGs but peeping those pixels I would find that so much of that promised X-trans detail was just not there. 18 months on and Adobe still don't know how to render RAWs properly for that fine landscape detail that you will want.

You will know that I have also strayed into the Foveon world with the DP Merrills and I originally thought that was it, nothing could compare with the output from those. In a way I think I am right. For sheer sharpness and detail the X-trans cameras cannot quite compare and for a while I got quite despondent about my now 'redundant' X-Pro kit.

I even strayed back into m4/3 world recently thinking I could have my Merrills for serious stuff and an 'all in one' m4/3 walkabout that would suffice for everything else and sell the Fuji gear. It wasn't long before I realised: Not a chance! Of course, I am not slagging off m4/3 as it would all depend on the camera and lens combo but this exercise just persuaded me that, actually, the Fuji images are rather special. They have a very special 'look', almost 3D. The 35mm lens is part of that I am sure and I would not want to part with the camera because of that lens alone. I have just recently added the 14mm and it too is very special.

So, I now have 2 'kits', my X-Pro + lenses and my Merrills. Although the Merrills do produce fantastic results, recently I have been favouring my X-Pro. Maybe it's just more fun or perhaps it is that 'look', less detailed perhaps overall but also less 'clinical' than the Merrills.

Regarding the OVF/EVF thing, I have come to the conclusion that this is a very personal preference. Many times I have read reviews of cameras with EVFs that are apparently better than optical VFs ... err, no, pinch of salt time there. Maybe it's just me and my eyes but I really do like the option of the OVF, though bear in mind that it is best used within the 18-60mm focal length range. With the 14 it is OK but most of the lower right quadrant is obscured by the lens and hood! And, I have learnt to forgive it for the relative inaccuracy of the framelines - for accurate composing I switch to EVF, for the wonderful 'real view', I switch back to OVF.

As for getting the best out of the RAWs? Have a look at Photo Ninja - it is my current favourite and makes the Fuji files really come alive, for me at any rate.

I am not helping you Louis, so perhaps you need a dose of SOUNDIMAGEPLUS, the author of which I recently suggested try Photo Ninja and, well, he likes it too!

If you look there, though, you are doomed to starting another camera + lens combination but that's what you really want isn't it?

If you want to give it a try, the current promotion is simply too good to miss. BTW the zooms are pretty good too - I had the 55-200 for a while and sold it to finance a Merrill purchase but I suspect I will get another copy in the New Year.

Don't let me persuade you though :) Is there any chance you can borrow an X-Pro from a camera dealer for a weekend/day/hour or two and try it out?

Lee

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just could not live with the unreliable AF of the XPro1 plus lenses (including the 35) and sol this kit. And I do not regret.

Either the Olympus EM1 / EM5 or Pentax K5IIs or K3 will be more than a replacement!

Sure there will be an XPro2, but I do not have too high h opes it will be sufficiently fast, as also the XE2 is not as fast as most had anticipated.

Sapphie

The AF has improved substantially with recent firmware upgrades, though I don't suppose it competes with these cameras. For my kind of stuff (mostly static landscapes) it's fine.

BTW, I should also have mentioned that the X-Pro has no built-in diopter correction so if you need it you'll need to get one of the screw-in lenses.

Lee

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The AF has improved substantially with recent firmware upgrades, though I don't suppose it competes with these cameras. For my kind of stuff (mostly static landscapes) it's fine.

BTW, I should also have mentioned that the X-Pro has no built-in diopter correction so if you need it you'll need to get one of the screw-in lenses.

Lee
While it is true that AF improved with several FW updates, it is still far from AF of say a Olympus EM5 - let alone the new EM1.

Diopter adjustment - I bought the correction lens for the XPro1 and it worked perfectly, so this would be no show stopper for me!

biglouis

Lee

As you know I am a very keen Sigma DP2M and DP3M user. In fact my carry around kit is my RX1 and the DP3M. I am also using the Ricoh GR a lot. Such a convenient camera.

I feel I need a kit of some sort rather than a motely collection of albeit good but quirky compacts.

Still haven't pressed the button on the deal and indeed looking at it again I have until the end of January to make some kind of decision (if any).

Thanks for the input!

Louis

Tim

Lee

As you know I am a very keen Sigma DP2M and DP3M user. In fact my carry around kit is my RX1 and the DP3M. I am also using the Ricoh GR a lot. Such a convenient camera.

I feel I need a kit of some sort rather than a motely collection of albeit good but quirky compacts.

Still haven't pressed the button on the deal and indeed looking at it again I have until the end of January to make some kind of decision (if any).

Thanks for the input!

Louis
Louis,

you are not alone with a motley collection of lens/cams.

I have settled for the moment on a DP2M and GR but for jobs that need other focal lengths I also have a EM-5 with the 14/20/45 combo. There is some current double up there with focal lengths. I am considering parting with the 14/20 to fund a 25mm. I sometimes miss the 50mm equiv FOV.

A decided strength of the Fuji is that wonderful 14mm (21mm equiv) prime focal length that sadly is lacking from m43. For me 21mm is something I used a lot and I got used to seeing with it. I miss it. I could get the 21mm adapter for the GR I guess. The samples of the Fuji 14 that have been posted here show the lens is excellent.

Yet again I ask someone to make a worthy MFT prime in 10mm (20mm eq) or 9mm (18mm eq) or better still - both. :dh2:
I think this is the 4th time I've asked for this on this site... :facesmack::cry:
My apology to all.

Can't offer any advice if to go ahead though. Sorry.

raist3d

I've been slowly selling all my film kit in anticipation of

Question is: is the X Pro 1 just too old or is it still a good buy? I really like the optical/electronic viewfinder and not that attracted to the XE-2 for some odd reason as an alternative.

Also, are Fuji dumping the X Pro 1 in favour of something coming down the pike?

I just love a good deal in photography and this latest promotion is making me think it really is too good to be true.

LouisB
Well, of course Fuji is coming out with something new. That's how it is with electronics. That doesn't make the Xpro1 any less capable than what it is right now. So the question I would say is- look at what the Xpro1 offers- unique EVF/OVF hybrid that no one else has, outstanding top best in class (or amongst best in class) APS-C image quality. Incredible ISO. Great lens system.

The AF speed and accuracy has been vastly improved with all the firmwares. It won't focus as fast as an EM5/GM1/GX7 but do you need that and do you value better high ISO/IQ? Or you value faster AF? It depends what you do and want.

Jumping on a great offers is nice only if you really can see these advantages and if you do, just buy and like someone else said, forget about what is New Plus coming in 2-3 months because it will always be like that. I for example if I was cool with carrying a small DSLR (Pentax K-5) I would get a discounted K-5II instead of the K-3 as the K-5 IQ is already pretty darn good and would save me cash.

That said, I find myself in the situation every time I buy a new camera, there's a "waste of time" period where my photography lowers results wise as I try to get the feel of what the new tool can do/behaves like, etc. It really hurts my photography. Usually the jump is not that bad if you are jumping to newer within the same system but it still happens.

Just my 2 cents.

- Ricardo

PS: What I said applies really to buy any camera, not just the Xpro1, but just answering in the context of your question.

biglouis

Tim, you are absolutely right. I left MFT because I really wanted wiiiiddddde and although I had the 7-14 it is somewhat optically compromised at the wide end.

All the reviews of the 14/2.8 are excellent. I could also give houseroom to the Touit 12mm if I really wanted wider.

Raist, I rarely need speed. I mean, when I am snap-shotting I sometimes think it would be great to have a snappy camera but in fact most of the things I photograph are pretty much static. In fact all my compacts are compromised when it comes to AF speed, even the RX1 (which for its price really should be better).

Still thinking about it. And in fact I still have a bit more film kit to sell.

Thanks for the input.

Louis

Rich M

Louis.....the 14mm is a special lens.....as is the 35/1.4.

I am waiting on the 23mm.....any day now.

The only issue with the Zeiss lenses is the they (as yet) do not have a mechanism to update lens firmware to match the body firmware.

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Rich and Louis: I agree with Rich: the 14mm and 35/1.4 are special lenses...put either of them on the macro option and they become even more special.

I agree with Louis: AF is not a factor in what I do...as an old fartographer, I concentrate on static images...so I have ignored the Firmware updates and just chug along with the original settings.
Roy Benson