The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

56mm f/1.2 announced and roadmap

Fuji announced the 56 f/1.2 today, price is $999. They also updated their roadmap:

X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global

This is one of the things I really like about Fuji as a camera company. They update their roadmap to have a little bit of transparency and then they hit their target dates (or close enough). Combined with other things like "kaizen" makes Fuji a company I like doing business with.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
For some reason Aravind, I found this news very exciting (I sold my EX-1 and the three primes I had four months ago, thereabouts). I am reconsidering the EX-2 and a few lenses; this is a maturing system, to be sure.

If the 56 is anything like the 23, it should be pretty stellar. I'm still amazed everytime I review the pictures from the 23. Bummer that the 56 doesn't have O.I.S., that would have been killer.

By the end of the year Fuji will have quite the near complete system and I'm still amazed by just how good all their XF lenses are.

Dale Allyn

Thanks for posting. I wonder what the "super telephoto" will be?

Paul
Sadly, it says "zoom" and Fuji seem centered around slow and variable aperture zooms. I'd really like to see a reasonably fast, shortish telephoto prime lens. I'd love to have ~90mm f/2.0 or f/2.8.

I've adapted my Canon 135mm f/2.0 to my X-E2 and it's fun, but a bit long, heavy, large, etc. If Fuji don't offer one at some point, I'll go to an M-mount lens and adapt it, but that comes with compromises I'd like to avoid.

woodworth

... I'd love to have ~90mm f/2.0 or f/2.8...
Me too!

It seems that with the exception of the Olympus 75mm for MFT, there are no tele primes available for CSC. If any company produce one, it is most likely to be Fuji from what I can see.

I'm probably going to get a Fuji to Contax G adapter if such a thing exists or perhaps an Fuji to EOS adapter - whichever is better.

Sadly, it says "zoom" and Fuji seem centered around slow and variable aperture zooms. I'd really like to see a reasonably fast, shortish telephoto prime lens. I'd love to have ~90mm f/2.0 or f/2.8.

I've adapted my Canon 135mm f/2.0 to my X-E2 and it's fun, but a bit long, heavy, large, etc. If Fuji don't offer one at some point, I'll go to an M-mount lens and adapt it, but that comes with compromises I'd like to avoid.
So far yes they have produced slow zooms, however on the same roadmap they have fast zooms on there coming up (16-55 f/2.8 and 50-140 f/2.8) so I'm hopeful that the super telephoto zoom will be similar, a 150-300 f/4 could be compelling with the right optical performance.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So far yes they have produced slow zooms, however on the same roadmap they have fast zooms on there coming up (16-55 f/2.8 and 50-140 f/2.8) so I'm hopeful that the super telephoto zoom will be similar, a 150-300 f/4 could be compelling with the right optical performance.
I really hope for a reasonably fast super telephoto - 4/100-300 would be perfect for my needs.

Just today I took pictures of the moon against bright blue afternoon sky (which is currently pretty seldom where I live as most time is grey and foggy) with the cheap Zuiko 75-300 II. This lens equals a 600 on m43 and on the EM1 in combination with the stellar IBIS results are superior - see below - a slightly cropped version of the original at ISO 400. I tried a bit later with the D800E and the 2.8/70-200 VRII with TC2/III (equals 400mm) and I must say the results from the Oly combination look better to me, especially if you crop the Nikon image to get the same size for the moon as on the Oly image. And weight of course we do not have to discuss ...

So I consider the combination of an XE2 with a future 4/100-300 super telephoto Fuji lens as a pretty good optimum for size, weight, cropability and still great IQ. We'll see ....