Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

I agree that 24 has become the sweet spot and most likely Fuji will get there. As to if it will be full frame or APS-C is the question. Most 24MP sensors I have used in APS-C just get too much noise by 800 ISO. If Fuji goes full frame 35mm then they will also have to come out with a new line up if lenses just like Sonys FE line.

Fuji rumors has written several blurbs about a possible full frame fixed lens like the Sony RX1 coming later this year around Photokina.

Paul

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Strangely enough, 12MP was the sweet spot 5 years ago...

It's important also to remember that any advantage a 24 MP sensor has over one with 16 MP, disappears quickly as ISO numbers increase. In some cases, the increased noise that comes with larger pixel density can be difficult to remove, making blacks and dark colours "messy".

Now, back to Velvia. I need to buy some for my GX680

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    I'm really interested in this camera as a travel/street shooter. My question is how good are the Fuji lenses? My only experience with Fuji optics on digital camera is the H lenses for the Hasselblad. Those lenses are very sharp but lack character except for the 100 F/2.2
    Also I hear Fuji has excellent colors but rarely any opinion of skin tones.
    This is a very interesting comment regarding the HC/HCD lenses lacking of character.
    I've seen lots of outstanding pictures taken by the HC/HCD lenses and had almost all of them myself. Characters of lenses may be something very subjective as my finding is opposite.
    I think the Fuji X lenses are fantastic.
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 30th January 2014 at 20:43.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boiled down to its essence, we have a repeating theme here: anyone who wants more MP 'doesn't get it' and is basing their desires on a flawed assessment of their needs.

Then we have to discussion of viewing distances. It was used by film Leicaphiles to explain why their outfits were 'as good as 6x7' then and we are hearing the same flawed argument now. The concept of Normal Viewing Distances is not as universally true as some suggest. If it were, producing prints for exhibition would be so much easier and quicker. I'd welcome that.

In response to the comment, 'Since when a camera role and function is solely determined by just one part- the sensor?', who said or implied that? The issue here is that some people would like to see a higher resolution sensor in the X series and for some utterly strange reason, there are those who feel the need to tell them that they are 'wrong'. I completely get why many, perhaps most, people would not desire more than 16MP, but is it really that difficult to understand why some might? Those who would like more MP are also not suggesting that this is the only thing they care about. Nobody said or implied that, but it stands to reason that if 16MP is not considered enough for one's needs, its only logical that a camera that is already categorically 'ruled out' on this basis is not going to be reconsidered because it has other desirable traits.

Nobody is saying the X-T1 is a bad camera. Nobody is saying nasty things about Fuji, or that the cameras you own or aspire to own are not good enough. So why the defensiveness? Its because I believe Fuji could have produced a cracking 24MP sensor that I wish they had, but maybe they just couldn't (or couldn't afford to)? If so, that's a shame, but would not stop me hoping that they can in the future. Not everybody covets impeccable noise performance at 6400 in every camera they own. Besides, the idea would be to compliment the 16MP line up, not replace it, so people could still choose what's right for them.

FWIW, I print at 13x19" for portfolio. All my display prints start at A2 and go up from there. Far from being a freak, I know that many work like me.... and you can still make beautiful small print from high res files when you want to!
    Last edited by turtle; 31st January 2014 at 02:17.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it. All 16mp of it. I might not have liked it with 24mp. But that's me.

More importantly, 16mp is what it is. Like it or move on.

One's likes and dislikes of a camera ( soon to be on the shelves ) shall not change the specs.

Buy it or don't buy it. Your choice.

I know my choice.

Making images. Even with 10.3mp.
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    I like it. All 16mp of it. I might not have liked it with 24mp. But that's me.

More importantly, 16mp is what it is. Like it or move on.

One's likes and dislikes of a camera ( soon to be on the shelves ) shall not change the specs.

Buy it or don't buy it. Your choice.

I know my choice.

Making images. Even with 10.3mp.
    That's one way to look at it for sure. Nothing wrong to like it and hope that Fuji continues to improve on it over time either.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Boiled down to its essence, we have a repeating theme here: anyone who wants more MP 'doesn't get it' and is basing their desires on a flawed assessment of their needs.
    No, not quite. At least not from me. I am more about "ok, what exactly are you doing that you really need more resolution than AA less 16MP, and potentially ask for 24 MP sacrificing DR, color sensitivity?"

In response to the comment, 'Since when a camera role and function is solely determined by just one part- the sensor?', who said or implied that?
    Completely implied if not said, when saying all the Fuji models are pretty much the same.

The issue here is that some people would like to see a higher resolution sensor in the X series and for some utterly strange reason, there are those who feel the need to tell them that they are 'wrong'. I completely get why many, perhaps most, people would not desire more than 16MP, but is it really that difficult to understand why some might?
    No, it's not. But I think likewise damning the system in general by the needs of such few is bit weird. Thus I also asked, those asking for more, how big are you printing, really? What exactly are you doing? I also mentioned I could understand landscape photographers wanting more so don't take me for the "more is just automatically wrong" meme.

Someone can say "the system is not for me because I really want more resolution" vs "wow Fuji is just making more of the same/it s*x that..." which implies more of a problem with the system.

[]

Nobody is saying the X-T1 is a bad camera. Nobody is saying nasty things about Fuji, or that the cameras you own or aspire to own are not good enough. So why the defensiveness? Its because I believe Fuji could have produced a cracking 24MP sensor that I wish they had, but maybe they just couldn't (or couldn't afford to)? If so, that's a shame, but would not stop me hoping that they can in the future. Not everybody covets impeccable noise performance at 6400 in every camera they own. Besides, the idea would be to compliment the 16MP line up, not replace it, so people could still choose what's right for them.
    I think there's some commentary implying somehow the system is deficient due to this item or the "all models are the same".

FWIW, I print at 13x19" for portfolio. All my display prints start at A2 and go up from there. Far from being a freak, I know that many work like me.... and you can still make beautiful small print from high res files when you want to!
    In no shape or form I am implying someone who prints big is a freak. What I asked is how many of you are really printing big prints, really. I ask because I have noticed a somewhat consistent pattern at get dpi where a group updates by specs on paper, to the "next big shiny thing" with quite frankly, not much to show photographically. Just a lot of focus on the Next Big Paper Spec and some particular brands.

This of course is not everyone, nor it should be read as I am thinking it's everyone.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More megapixels vs fewer higher quality megapixels is just marketing drivel fueled by internet/buyers' angst. The real questions are:

Do you know what you need from a camera?
    Does the camera in question suit your photographic needs?
    Can you afford the camera?

If you answered "Yes" to all three questions, then buy the silly thing. If any answer was "No" then you need to think about that question (or questions) seriously.

For me, my answers were all "Yes" and I have pre-ordered the X-T1 with the kit lens. Strangely enough, I cannot find the VG-XT1 grip listed anywhere.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    <snipped>
    I have noticed a somewhat consistent pattern at get dpi where a group updates by specs on paper, to the "next big shiny thing" with quite frankly, not much to show photographically. Just a lot of focus on the Next Big Paper Spec and some particular brands.
    <snipped>
    - Ricardo
    Welcome to the 21st century where technologies have fanboys/girls. Look at the smartphone: the desire to have the latest model is so strong that a 2-year contract for reduced prices is viewed as too restrictive and now smartphone users can subscribe to plans that allow annual upgrades.

If a camera is doing the job, then there are only two reasons to upgrade:

the new shiny has a feature/function/capability that blows away your current gear and puts you at some sort of disadvantage in what ever market you play in or not

or

an OCD condition that forces you to own the latest bit of shiny from your preferred manufacturer.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I honestly don't understand the koolaid comments
    - Ricardo
    That reference is a bit of black humor about the Jonestown Massacre (November 18, 1978), where religious cult leader Jim Jones ordered all of his followers (918 men, women, and children) to commit suicide by drinking poisoned Flavor-Aid.

The term has come to mean "committing a counterproductive act based on the orders of a charismatic individual".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post

an OCD condition that forces you to own the latest bit of shiny from your preferred manufacturer.
    You mean CDO. It should be in alphabetical order.
    new album | nostatic | music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post

or

Or as some people seem to have, an OCD condition to make them never satisfied with any camera, from any manufacturer. To keep jumping systems every few months, always chasing that greener grass. :P

Thankfully, I've been able to not do that myself.

Chris
    www.partnersinrum.com www.flickr.com/photos/crm_pir/
    Panasonic Gear: GF1, GF1 IR, GH1, GH2 Nikon Gear: D700*2, D300, D70 IR
    Many more Nikon DSLRs & 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 Film gear too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmcmillan View Post
    Or as some people seem to have, an OCD condition to make them never satisfied with any camera, from any manufacturer. To keep jumping systems every few months, always chasing that greener grass. :P

Thankfully, I've been able to not do that myself.

Chris
    I'll admit that I am mildly affected by that particular form. However, this system (and the one's that will follow in the future) will do it for me in the walkabout/travel camera department. This way I can relegate my D800E to the studio and carry a proper lighter kit. I thoroughly tested the X-E1 and the lowlight performance and IQ were exactly what I was looking for. The camera build and AF performance were a bit of a compromise. The X-T1, based the prelims and literature I've read will cover those issues.

Call it rationalizing, but don't we humans always do that just before we do something momentous?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Then we have to discussion of viewing distances. It was used by film Leicaphiles to explain why their outfits were 'as good as 6x7' then and we are hearing the same flawed argument now.
    No, we are not hearing the same flawed argument now. The difference between a Leica 35mm image (36 x 24mm) and a 6 x 7 image (70 x 56 mm) is a factor of 4.5 (film area). That's the same as the difference between an 8 and a 36 MP sensor. It's a huge difference, and most photographers realised that. In addition, the lenses for the 6 x 7 camera were much larger, enabling that increased resolution potential to become reality.

The difference between 16 and 24 MP is a factor of 1.5, and given that it's the same sensor size, this becomes a challenge for many lenses (not necessarily for the Fuji X-lenses though, since they are probably designed for future sensors with more pixels). Also, while the grain size of most films was constant regardless of format, that is not the case when you cram more pixels into the same digital format, with possible (and mostly real) consequences for noise, DR and colour fidelity.

While the film example gives more than 100% increase in linear size, the digital increase only represents 23%.

Digital cameras have decreased the quality difference between formats and resolutions to a point where most photographers 30 years ago would say that it's insignificant. And while the 135 and 120 formats totally dominated the world then, they are reduced to tiny niches nowadays. Some obviously need every little bit of resolution they can get, but the curve that show the reality of diminishing returns has become very, very steep.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered mine! Delivery is Feb. 15 here in Japan.

Bill

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is in the order pipeline. Looking forward to it. Fuji are my photographic heros these days with their commitment to improvement and not pandering to the mass pixel fixation or marketing focus groups - just photographers from what I can tell.

In the meantime the X-E1 is going IR and probably one of the X-Pro1's too. The X-E2 is still my favorite so far which I didn't think I'd say given how much I enjoy the X-Pro1.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Mine is in the order pipeline. Looking forward to it. Fuji are my photographic heros these days with their commitment to improvement and not pandering to the mass pixel fixation or marketing focus groups - just photographers from what I can tell.

In the meantime the X-E1 is going IR and probably one of the X-Pro1's too. The X-E2 is still my favorite so far which I didn't think I'd say given how much I enjoy the X-Pro1.
    Hi Graham

Who is going to the IR conversation on the X-Pro 1?

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil,

I have a local repair dealer who did an excellent job also converting my Leaf Aptus 65 to 630NM IR cut. Advance Camera in Beaverton do conversions D-SLR IR Conversion | Advance Camera Inc. - great folks who are proactive in keeping you up to date with progress and do a great job. They also handled some adjustments and impossible repairs/upgrades to my Fuji XPan II & 30mm VF too.

I also have had a good experience with Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil,

I have a local repair dealer who did an excellent job also converting my Leaf Aptus 65 to 630NM IR cut. Advance Camera in Beaverton do conversions D-SLR IR Conversion | Advance Camera Inc. - great folks who are proactive in keeping you up to date with progress and do a great job. They also handled some adjustments and impossible repairs/upgrades to my Fuji XPan II & 30mm VF too.

I also have had a good experience with Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome
    Thanks Graham -- I will either convert my current X-Pro or 5DIII -- whichever has an upgrade first 5DIV or X-Pro 2 Up till now - I know Life Pixel does not convert Fuji.

I will write this down

best

Phil
    Last edited by alajuela; 1st February 2014 at 02:42. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't hesitate to use MaxMax or Kolari either btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    A very tempting system.... the large viewfinder, with its rotating infos,
    Fuji stole my idea and thunder on the rotating info. I was going to ask how a "casual" portrait photog using anything where you want to maximize sensor coverage and puttinh the camera to vertical gets on. I expect you've all learnt to read sideways?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Fuji stole my idea and thunder on the rotating info. I was going to ask how a "casual" portrait photog using anything where you want to maximize sensor coverage and puttinh the camera to vertical gets on. I expect you've all learnt to read sideways?
    I dunno ... It's never been an issue for me. A nice touch, however.

G

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    This is a very interesting comment regarding the HC/HCD lenses lacking of character.
    I've seen lots of outstanding pictures taken by the HC/HCD lenses and had almost all of them myself. Characters of lenses may be something very subjective as my finding is opposite.
    I think the Fuji X lenses are fantastic.
    Well said!
    I have 4 HC/HCD lenses for my H4D and they are outstanding in every way, I have a quite complete Canon system too, (although I sold my big whites to help with the hassy as I dont shoot motorsport anymore) with some of the best lenses Canon make, and when you look at the image quality vs price point of the little fuji with for example the 35mmf1.4 vs my 1Dx with the 50mm 1,2L well I have to say these little Fuji x lenses are amazing! I have seriously considered getting rid of the canon stuff and just having fuji as kit nr 2 , but AF speed has to this date not been what I need for a full swap, and low light focus acquisition is hard to beat on the Canon.. Until those two limitations are fixed then my fuji will still be mainly used for private work where I dont want a big heavy bag with me... As for "only" 16 megapixels, well I recently did a job for a book with well over 100 pics delivered that were shot on my Hassy.. apart from one, which was a spur of the moment shot grabbed between takes with the x-pro1 and the 35mm of three of the child models sheltering froma rain shower in a boathouse... the designer loved it and it made it to the book... When looking through the book that pic just fits right in... it doesn't scream "hang on, that pic was made with a little 16mp fuji!" Its even a crop! gasp...
    Although I wont be running out to get the XT-1 straight away, i am pretty sure one will make it to my kitbag by the end of the year... (Business choices here) and that 56 f1.2 has to be got first...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just added my name to the list for the X-T1 at my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo).

Guess I am going "all in" with the Fuji X series.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary - a wise long term choice IMHO

The Fuji X system definitely punches above it's weight and other than AF comparisons to DSLRs I find it every bit as good as my Nikons and is my travel/small system of choice. Most importantly the lenses are excellent too.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Just added my name to the list for the X-T1 at my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo).

Gary
    Gray

The one time I was in Anchorage, I stopped in at Stewarts on or near the large fountain and square. Back then I was shooting the Nikon D1 and I had a battery issue thst they helped me with. That was in 2000 glad to see they are still in business.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Gray
    The one time I was in Anchorage, I stopped in at Stewarts on or near the large fountain and square. Back then I was shooting the Nikon D1 and I had a battery issue thst they helped me with. That was in 2000 glad to see they are still in business.
    Paul C
    Hi Paul. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at Stewarts. I've been a customer of Stewarts Photo since the mid-80s. Not only are they still in business, but the owner has spent many thousands of dollars remodeling the store in the past year, while retaining many of the interior and exterior features that link them to a unique, 50+ year history in Anchorage. Pressed tin ceilings etc. Their staff is very knowlegeable and prices are equal to or competitive with the big mail order houses, such as B&H etc. I feel very fortunate to have such a good local shop, with a great selection of high end gear, talented and helpful staff.

Here's a little info about the shop. If you're interested, take a few moments to cycle thru some of the historical photos. Ivan and Oro Stewart opened the store in 1943.

http://stewartsphoto.com/about/

I don't think my friend Brian, who is the manager of Stewarts Photo, will mind if I post this photo he took recently. He was testing a Leica WATE lens on a Sony A7r. The original, full resolution image is incredibly sharp. As I metioned....they have some very nice gear at Stewarts Photo.

I hope folks won't mind that I've posted a Sony image on a Fuji thread.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 15th February 2014 at 18:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for a local photo store who can stand up to the likes of Amazon and B&H/Adorama. I applaud each and every one of us who keep our local guys in business (in case you haven't noticed it's a pet peeve of mine!).

I try to order and buy all of my cameras & lenses etc locally (shout out for ProPhoto Supply in Portland) because not only does it keep it in the community, selfishly they also go the extra mile if there any issues with gear etc too. It's worth the few extra $ (and most often not even any extra).

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just played with an X-T1 on Thursday. The photos I've seen of it online make it look larger than it was when I had it in my hands. My X-Pro1 actually seemed larger in comparison. The viewfinder is gorgeous and large, and the resolution inside is amazing. I was cautiously optimistic with the announcement and initial reviews, but after seeing it in person I'm sold.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil,

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Thanks Graham -- I will either convert my current X-Pro or 5DIII -- whichever has an upgrade first 5DIV or X-Pro 2 Up till now - I know Life Pixel does not convert Fuji.

I will write this down

best

Phil

Have either of you experimented with an 87C filter on the lens rather than converting the camera? That is my current method of shooting IR with these cameras and I've had great success. Just curious if converting it has some advantage I've not thought of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 to supporting the local camera shops.

Here's an interesting interview:

Fujifilm interview: &#39;The only way is to keep innovating&#39;: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photocrasher View Post
    Have either of you experimented with an 87C filter on the lens rather than converting the camera? That is my current method of shooting IR with these cameras and I've had great success. Just curious if converting it has some advantage I've not thought of.
    Hi

I know when I converted my 5d at life pixel - I also had them calibrated my 24 - 70.

The following advantages

1. I could hand hold - as much as I like tripods (really) it was much more convenient. Especially in bad weather.

2. Along with that - I could use fasted shutter speeds, which gave me sharper images, with no "ghosting" on things like leaves and people, which have a nasty habit of moving.

The downside of the 5D was focus (AF was off the mirror). The Fuji (or any of the mirror-less cameras, or live view on DSLR) can focus off the sensor, so you can get true focus with IR - no focus shift. For example now with my DF (converted phase back P45+ full spectrum) I have three choices,

1. AF focus - then add filter - change to MF and adjust for focus shift.

2. Tether (means bringing a laptop)

3. Or shoot stopped down - range finder street style

I am looking forward as stated above for the 5DIV or Xpro - 2 ( I really like my fuji and 5DIII) then I will convert my existing to full spectrum - I like the option of the controlling the effect of light, Max Max makes some interesting filters - like one that blocks (softly 320 - 670 nm) - nice to see the light (color) bleed into the image, and of course you can always convert it to B&W with IR effect.

Also with full spectrum you have the option of putting a Hot Mirror filter on and shooting visible light - Two cameras in one

Phil
    Last edited by alajuela; 17th February 2014 at 21:19.
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary
    Got my X-T1 today. :-)

It's smaller than I expected it to be. I'll definitely be putting the vertical battery grip on it. Has anyone seen the grip yet?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got my X-T1 today. :-)

It's smaller than I expected it to be. I'll definitely be putting the vertical battery grip on it. Has anyone seen the grip yet?

Gary
    I've only seen the grip in the review videos. I ordered one also although I'm expecting the camera to arrive before the grip given the lack of sample grip shots out there.

tick tock tick tock as I wait for my X-T1 ...

Didn't have to wait long it seems
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 19th February 2014 at 21:15.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've only seen the grip in the review videos. I ordered one also although I'm expecting the camera to arrive before the grip given the lack of sample grip shots out there.

tick tock tick tock as I wait for my X-T1 ...

Congratulations Graham
    I've cracked - I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!

All the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Congratulations Graham
    I've cracked - I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!

All the best
    Jono,

I am sure you will be more than happy! Love my XE2 and the XT1 is sure one further step above.

You only need to be patient with RAW support in Aperture, which still is not available for the XE2 after almost 6 months of this camera being available. But the OOC JPEGs are actually what really shine, so you will be more than pleased.

Have fun

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a play with the Xt1 at my local camera shop, and boy is it amazing!! The EVF is indeed impressive. Magnification, clarity and the brightness are second to none. The best part of this this is that the colors seems to be exceptionally accurate to the point where the EVF view is indistinguishable from the real view.

AF speed with the 18-55mm is impressive. Literally as I half press the shutter it already has locked focus!

If I had not just purchased an E-M1 I definitely would have gone for this kit!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!
    As an old person I really like the theory of operating this camera;
    I like the idea of an aperture ring on the lenses,
    I like the idea of ISO adjustment via a dial on the top plate.
    I like Fuji, loved my GX680 III and still have my S5Pro -
    but I've only recently bought an EM-1 & 12-40 lens .........
    ......... So I'm VERY envious, and I'm very interested to hear your opinion,
    an opinion that won't be (like so many on the 'net) ultracrepidarian
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Graham

All the best
    Hi Jono, let me know how it goes. Very interested in this one! Thinking of offloading the Olympus.

What are your lens intentions? 18-55 gets good reviews, and I like the idea of a couple of the primes.

Are you getting the M adapter?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Graham

All the best
    Jono,

I hope you enjoy the Fuji! The native lenses are excellent, especially the primes (14, 23, 35 in particular) but I think you'll also be surprised at the quality of the zooms too. Try the Fuji M adapter with some of your Leica lenses too - the ability to dial in corrections is very helpful.

As mentioned earlier, you may be pleasantly surprised (shocked?) at how good the jpgs are and the raws are even better when processed by the best raw converters.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear of your experiences, be they good, bad or indifferent.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear that many in this thread have a similar issue like me - owning an EM1 (with 12-40) and lusting now to change for the XT1. As I have used both m43 and Fuji X over the past years, I was (and am) from the very beginning convinced of the vast superior IQ from the X system. What screwed me down so far was the slow to almost unusable AF (for me) of the XPro1 and the XE1.

This seems now mostly gone with the XE2 and the XT1. Plus lens options are getting much more competitive for the X system today.

So I am in the same boat - should I sell my trusted m43 system and jump over to Fuji? I definitely do not want to keep both systems for mid to long term.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jono,

You only need to be patient with RAW support in Aperture, which still is not available for the XE2 after almost 6 months of this camera being available. But the OOC JPEGs are actually what really shine, so you will be more than pleased.

Have fun

Peter
    Hi There Peter
    I'd realised this with Aperture - it's one of the reasons I've avoided Fuji before, on the other hand I guess it'll come, and I'm up for shooting jpg+RAW for a while (I think it's quite a good discipline apart from anything else!

Lunch Time Pickup

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    but I've only recently bought an EM-1 & 12-40 lens .........
    ......... So I'm VERY envious, and I'm very interested to hear your opinion,
    an opinion that won't be (like so many on the 'net) ultracrepidarian
    HI There Ian

I had to look up ultracrepidarian - I'm surprised it's not more in use with respect to the internet these days! (and flattered not to considered it!)

I'm definitely NOT getting rid of the E-M1 and 12-40 - it just proved it's use in the Lake district. I'll run them side by side until the Fuji 16-55 lens appears and then make a decision - an expensive luxury, but good fun!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There Peter
    I'd realised this with Aperture - it's one of the reasons I've avoided Fuji before, on the other hand I guess it'll come, and I'm up for shooting jpg+RAW for a while (I think it's quite a good discipline apart from anything else!

Lunch Time Pickup
    Jono,

I am running Aperture, LR5 and C1 Pro in parallel (crazy me).

Meanwhile both LR5 as well as C1P are supporting X Raw files at least up to the XE2 for some time and I expect XT1 being supported pretty soon as well. Both are quite capable, and IMHO deliver pretty similar quality, but the LR5 functionality for me makes lot of sense - there should be soon also Fuji film modes supported for RAW. And LR5 nowadays is pretty cheap as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woods View Post
    Hi Jono, let me know how it goes. Very interested in this one! Thinking of offloading the Olympus.

What are your lens intentions? 18-55 gets good reviews, and I like the idea of a couple of the primes.

Are you getting the M adapter?

Mike
    Hi There Mike
    To start with I'm just going to get the 18-55 (and maybe the macro). I'm not going to jump in with both feet until:
    1. I see the weather sealed zooms
    2. I see the Aperture RAW conversion.

To be honest, the M is always likely to be my preferred weapon when shooting primes. I can't really see that changing, but I do like a properly weather sealed alternative with a zoom. The Sony A7 isn't it (can't love it and I don't trust the weather sealing). The Olympus passes the test, but I'm rather seduced by what I see of the Fuji colour - added to which I like their attitude (firmware updates for dead cameras for instance).

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There Graham
    Jono,

I hope you enjoy the Fuji! The native lenses are excellent, especially the primes (14, 23, 35 in particular) but I think you'll also be surprised at the quality of the zooms too. Try the Fuji M adapter with some of your Leica lenses too - the ability to dial in corrections is very helpful.
    To be honest, I'm more interested in the zooms - I'll keep with the M for primes on the whole, same with the M adapter - I'll probably give it a go if I decide to stay, otherwise I've come to the conclusion that native lenses work best.

As mentioned earlier, you may be pleasantly surprised (shocked?) at how good the jpgs are and the raws are even better when processed by the best raw converters.
    I'm banking on it! Shooting jpg is Quite a good way of learning a camera anyway. Added to which, with Fuji of all people one should trust their colour. I use Aperture, so I'll shoot jpg+RAW and use the jpgs as originals - if I take a great shot which needs more work, then I can always open it in something else and do the processing.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear of your experiences, be they good, bad or indifferent.
    I'll try not to be a an ultracrepidarian! (new favourite word - Thank You Ian)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Graham

All the best
    Be interested in your views, as you know I'm happy in Fujiland and currently contemplating upgrading to either X-E2 or X-T1. However, X-E1 is keeping me going in my retirement and as I only submit to Alamy these days, there's no rush to move on.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

I wondered when or if you would be trying the Fuji X-T1, so am delighted to learn that you are.

I currently have the Olympus OMD-EM5 plus a load of m4/3 glass, and the Fuji X-Pro1 plus another load of Fuji X glass, and one system had to go as I cannot be doing with trying to remember the ins an outs of 2 different systems, it makes more sense for me to consider another Fuji as a backup, I wouldn't part with the XP-1, so all of the Oly gear and Panasonic lenses are going (at a considerable loss no doubt).

I am in no hurry to get the X-T1, will wait until Aperture supports it probably, and am also more interested in a weatherproof upgraded X-Pro1 type camera as I like the OVF very much, so may wait for word of that, however the X-_T1 might give some clues as to what to expect in terms of performance.

I am waiting for the 23mm 1.4 Fuji lens to arrive here, which is a focal length that I find perfect for me, the closest I have is my 25mm Zeiss Biogon on the GXR M mount.

Hopefully once my health issues are a bit better, I can actually get somewhere and shoot, fingers crossed.

That was the Amazon man at the door, but only the ND filter I ordered... and there is not enough daylight to need it just now.

Cheers
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got It!
    Seems lovely except for a creaky SD card door (is yours creaky too?)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are three shots on the way back from the store....
    Nice colour (especially the third one )

Reach for the sky

Bokeh

Which way now!

Apologies for the double posting

Just this guy you know