The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

Paul2660

I agree that 24 has become the sweet spot and most likely Fuji will get there. As to if it will be full frame or APS-C is the question. Most 24MP sensors I have used in APS-C just get too much noise by 800 ISO. If Fuji goes full frame 35mm then they will also have to come out with a new line up if lenses just like Sonys FE line.

Fuji rumors has written several blurbs about a possible full frame fixed lens like the Sony RX1 coming later this year around Photokina.

Paul

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Strangely enough, 12MP was the sweet spot 5 years ago... :ROTFL:

It's important also to remember that any advantage a 24 MP sensor has over one with 16 MP, disappears quickly as ISO numbers increase. In some cases, the increased noise that comes with larger pixel density can be difficult to remove, making blacks and dark colours "messy".

Now, back to Velvia. I need to buy some for my GX680 :D

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm really interested in this camera as a travel/street shooter. My question is how good are the Fuji lenses? My only experience with Fuji optics on digital camera is the H lenses for the Hasselblad. Those lenses are very sharp but lack character except for the 100 F/2.2
Also I hear Fuji has excellent colors but rarely any opinion of skin tones.
This is a very interesting comment regarding the HC/HCD lenses lacking of character.
I've seen lots of outstanding pictures taken by the HC/HCD lenses and had almost all of them myself. Characters of lenses may be something very subjective as my finding is opposite.
I think the Fuji X lenses are fantastic.

Last edited:

turtle

Boiled down to its essence, we have a repeating theme here: anyone who wants more MP 'doesn't get it' and is basing their desires on a flawed assessment of their needs.

Then we have to discussion of viewing distances. It was used by film Leicaphiles to explain why their outfits were 'as good as 6x7' then and we are hearing the same flawed argument now. The concept of Normal Viewing Distances is not as universally true as some suggest. If it were, producing prints for exhibition would be so much easier and quicker. I'd welcome that.

In response to the comment, 'Since when a camera role and function is solely determined by just one part- the sensor?', who said or implied that? The issue here is that some people would like to see a higher resolution sensor in the X series and for some utterly strange reason, there are those who feel the need to tell them that they are 'wrong'. I completely get why many, perhaps most, people would not desire more than 16MP, but is it really that difficult to understand why some might? Those who would like more MP are also not suggesting that this is the only thing they care about. Nobody said or implied that, but it stands to reason that if 16MP is not considered enough for one's needs, its only logical that a camera that is already categorically 'ruled out' on this basis is not going to be reconsidered because it has other desirable traits.

Nobody is saying the X-T1 is a bad camera. Nobody is saying nasty things about Fuji, or that the cameras you own or aspire to own are not good enough. So why the defensiveness? Its because I believe Fuji could have produced a cracking 24MP sensor that I wish they had, but maybe they just couldn't (or couldn't afford to)? If so, that's a shame, but would not stop me hoping that they can in the future. Not everybody covets impeccable noise performance at 6400 in every camera they own. Besides, the idea would be to compliment the 16MP line up, not replace it, so people could still choose what's right for them.

FWIW, I print at 13x19" for portfolio. All my display prints start at A2 and go up from there. Far from being a freak, I know that many work like me.... and you can still make beautiful small print from high res files when you want to!

Last edited:

rayyan

I like it. All 16mp of it. I might not have liked it with 24mp. But that's me.

More importantly, 16mp is what it is. Like it or move on.

One's likes and dislikes of a camera ( soon to be on the shelves ) shall not change the specs.

Buy it or don't buy it. Your choice.

I know my choice.

Making images. Even with 10.3mp.

Paul2660

I like it. All 16mp of it. I might not have liked it with 24mp. But that's me.

More importantly, 16mp is what it is. Like it or move on.

One's likes and dislikes of a camera ( soon to be on the shelves ) shall not change the specs.

Buy it or don't buy it. Your choice.

I know my choice.

Making images. Even with 10.3mp.
That's one way to look at it for sure. Nothing wrong to like it and hope that Fuji continues to improve on it over time either.

Paul

raist3d

Boiled down to its essence, we have a repeating theme here: anyone who wants more MP 'doesn't get it' and is basing their desires on a flawed assessment of their needs.
No, not quite. At least not from me. I am more about "ok, what exactly are you doing that you really need more resolution than AA less 16MP, and potentially ask for 24 MP sacrificing DR, color sensitivity?"

In response to the comment, 'Since when a camera role and function is solely determined by just one part- the sensor?', who said or implied that?
Completely implied if not said, when saying all the Fuji models are pretty much the same.

The issue here is that some people would like to see a higher resolution sensor in the X series and for some utterly strange reason, there are those who feel the need to tell them that they are 'wrong'. I completely get why many, perhaps most, people would not desire more than 16MP, but is it really that difficult to understand why some might?
No, it's not. But I think likewise damning the system in general by the needs of such few is bit weird. Thus I also asked, those asking for more, how big are you printing, really? What exactly are you doing? I also mentioned I could understand landscape photographers wanting more so don't take me for the "more is just automatically wrong" meme.

Someone can say "the system is not for me because I really want more resolution" vs "wow Fuji is just making more of the same/it s*x that..." which implies more of a problem with the system.

[]

Nobody is saying the X-T1 is a bad camera. Nobody is saying nasty things about Fuji, or that the cameras you own or aspire to own are not good enough. So why the defensiveness? Its because I believe Fuji could have produced a cracking 24MP sensor that I wish they had, but maybe they just couldn't (or couldn't afford to)? If so, that's a shame, but would not stop me hoping that they can in the future. Not everybody covets impeccable noise performance at 6400 in every camera they own. Besides, the idea would be to compliment the 16MP line up, not replace it, so people could still choose what's right for them.
I think there's some commentary implying somehow the system is deficient due to this item or the "all models are the same".

FWIW, I print at 13x19" for portfolio. All my display prints start at A2 and go up from there. Far from being a freak, I know that many work like me.... and you can still make beautiful small print from high res files when you want to!
In no shape or form I am implying someone who prints big is a freak. What I asked is how many of you are really printing big prints, really. I ask because I have noticed a somewhat consistent pattern at get dpi where a group updates by specs on paper, to the "next big shiny thing" with quite frankly, not much to show photographically. Just a lot of focus on the Next Big Paper Spec and some particular brands.

This of course is not everyone, nor it should be read as I am thinking it's everyone.

- Ricardo

etrigan63

More megapixels vs fewer higher quality megapixels is just marketing drivel fueled by internet/buyers' angst. The real questions are:

Do you know what you need from a camera?
Does the camera in question suit your photographic needs?
Can you afford the camera?

If you answered "Yes" to all three questions, then buy the silly thing. If any answer was "No" then you need to think about that question (or questions) seriously.

For me, my answers were all "Yes" and I have pre-ordered the X-T1 with the kit lens. Strangely enough, I cannot find the VG-XT1 grip listed anywhere.

etrigan63

<snipped>
I have noticed a somewhat consistent pattern at get dpi where a group updates by specs on paper, to the "next big shiny thing" with quite frankly, not much to show photographically. Just a lot of focus on the Next Big Paper Spec and some particular brands.
<snipped>
- Ricardo
Welcome to the 21st century where technologies have fanboys/girls. Look at the smartphone: the desire to have the latest model is so strong that a 2-year contract for reduced prices is viewed as too restrictive and now smartphone users can subscribe to plans that allow annual upgrades.

If a camera is doing the job, then there are only two reasons to upgrade:

the new shiny has a feature/function/capability that blows away your current gear and puts you at some sort of disadvantage in what ever market you play in or not

or

an OCD condition that forces you to own the latest bit of shiny from your preferred manufacturer.

etrigan63

I honestly don't understand the koolaid comments
- Ricardo
That reference is a bit of black humor about the Jonestown Massacre (November 18, 1978), where religious cult leader Jim Jones ordered all of his followers (918 men, women, and children) to commit suicide by drinking poisoned Flavor-Aid.

The term has come to mean "committing a counterproductive act based on the orders of a charismatic individual".

cmcmillan

or

an OCD condition that forces you to own the latest bit of shiny from your preferred manufacturer.

Or as some people seem to have, an OCD condition to make them never satisfied with any camera, from any manufacturer. To keep jumping systems every few months, always chasing that greener grass. :p

Thankfully, I've been able to not do that myself.

Chris

etrigan63

Or as some people seem to have, an OCD condition to make them never satisfied with any camera, from any manufacturer. To keep jumping systems every few months, always chasing that greener grass. :p

Thankfully, I've been able to not do that myself.

Chris
I'll admit that I am mildly affected by that particular form. However, this system (and the one's that will follow in the future) will do it for me in the walkabout/travel camera department. This way I can relegate my D800E to the studio and carry a proper lighter kit. I thoroughly tested the X-E1 and the lowlight performance and IQ were exactly what I was looking for. The camera build and AF performance were a bit of a compromise. The X-T1, based the prelims and literature I've read will cover those issues.

Call it rationalizing, but don't we humans always do that just before we do something momentous?:angel:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Then we have to discussion of viewing distances. It was used by film Leicaphiles to explain why their outfits were 'as good as 6x7' then and we are hearing the same flawed argument now.
No, we are not hearing the same flawed argument now. The difference between a Leica 35mm image (36 x 24mm) and a 6 x 7 image (70 x 56 mm) is a factor of 4.5 (film area). That's the same as the difference between an 8 and a 36 MP sensor. It's a huge difference, and most photographers realised that. In addition, the lenses for the 6 x 7 camera were much larger, enabling that increased resolution potential to become reality.

The difference between 16 and 24 MP is a factor of 1.5, and given that it's the same sensor size, this becomes a challenge for many lenses (not necessarily for the Fuji X-lenses though, since they are probably designed for future sensors with more pixels). Also, while the grain size of most films was constant regardless of format, that is not the case when you cram more pixels into the same digital format, with possible (and mostly real) consequences for noise, DR and colour fidelity.

While the film example gives more than 100% increase in linear size, the digital increase only represents 23%.

Digital cameras have decreased the quality difference between formats and resolutions to a point where most photographers 30 years ago would say that it's insignificant. And while the 135 and 120 formats totally dominated the world then, they are reduced to tiny niches nowadays. Some obviously need every little bit of resolution they can get, but the curve that show the reality of diminishing returns has become very, very steep.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mine is in the order pipeline. Looking forward to it. Fuji are my photographic heros these days with their commitment to improvement and not pandering to the mass pixel fixation or marketing focus groups - just photographers from what I can tell. :thumbs:

In the meantime the X-E1 is going IR and probably one of the X-Pro1's too. The X-E2 is still my favorite so far which I didn't think I'd say given how much I enjoy the X-Pro1.

alajuela

Mine is in the order pipeline. Looking forward to it. Fuji are my photographic heros these days with their commitment to improvement and not pandering to the mass pixel fixation or marketing focus groups - just photographers from what I can tell. :thumbs:

In the meantime the X-E1 is going IR and probably one of the X-Pro1's too. The X-E2 is still my favorite so far which I didn't think I'd say given how much I enjoy the X-Pro1.
Hi Graham

Who is going to the IR conversation on the X-Pro 1?

Thanks

Phil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Phil,

I have a local repair dealer who did an excellent job also converting my Leaf Aptus 65 to 630NM IR cut. Advance Camera in Beaverton do conversions D-SLR IR Conversion | Advance Camera Inc. - great folks who are proactive in keeping you up to date with progress and do a great job. They also handled some adjustments and impossible repairs/upgrades to my Fuji XPan II & 30mm VF too.

I also have had a good experience with Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome

alajuela

Phil,

I have a local repair dealer who did an excellent job also converting my Leaf Aptus 65 to 630NM IR cut. Advance Camera in Beaverton do conversions D-SLR IR Conversion | Advance Camera Inc. - great folks who are proactive in keeping you up to date with progress and do a great job. They also handled some adjustments and impossible repairs/upgrades to my Fuji XPan II & 30mm VF too.

I also have had a good experience with Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome
Thanks Graham -- I will either convert my current X-Pro or 5DIII -- whichever has an upgrade first 5DIV or X-Pro 2 ;) Up till now - I know Life Pixel does not convert Fuji.

I will write this down

best

Phil

Last edited: