The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 first impressions...

bradhusick

I just got the X-T1 yesterday along with the 35/1.4, 18-55/2.8-4, 55-200/3.5-4.8 Fuji lenses and the adapters for Leica M and Nikon G lenses.

First impressions? WOW! I love the build quality, small size, great manual controls, INCREDIBLE EVF (best ever), superb manual focusing aids, lightning speed (8 fps).

I haven't had much time to pixel peep the files, but I find myself asking if this could take the place of both the Leica M and the Nikon D4 for most (not all) situations. I rarely print larger than 13x19.

More impressions to come... please share yours too.

-Brad

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations to your new X system!

I would not speak for the Leica M as for Leica glass this is still the optimal solution, but for the D4 it could definitely take the place, as long as you are not shooting ultra fast action.

Have fun

Peter

bradhusick

Hi Peter. I am using Leica glass on it. The 50 ASPH lux is so sweet on this camera - effective 65mm f/1.4.

jonoslack

HI Brad
I got mine yesterday - I'm also loving it, but I haven't got rid of my E-M1 just yet!
I've just got the kit lens for now (and it is excellent).

all the best

Mike Woods

Can anyone comment on focussing with M lenses? Is it a series of annoying button pushes to magnify, focus, return to main view, etc, etc, or does the M adapter make life easy?

Mike

bradhusick

Can anyone comment on focussing with M lenses? Is it a series of annoying button pushes to magnify, focus, return to main view, etc, etc, or does the M adapter make life easy?

Mike
Focusing with manual focus lenses is easy. You can choose from several ways the viewfinder displays aids (split image, overlay, side-by-side, peaking) and there is no fiddling to be done unless you want a different view during the shot.

jonoslack

Mike
hi Mike
there seems to be a focus assist button, but I don't have the M adapter (perhaps I should get it).

archiM44

What software are you all using. What works for raw files?
Irridient Developer - excellent
Release Canditate ACR from Adobe Labs - decent
Convert to DNG using the release candidate DNG converter from Adobe Labs
and then import into LR (these DNG files won't work in Capture One)
SilkyPix delivered with the camera which is not my favorite
PhotoNinja which is not my favorite either

If you have Photoshop CC the Adobe Camera Raw has a feature allowing you to use the Fuji film profiles when developing the RAF files (under Camera Calibration)

harmsr

Workshop Member
Brad,

Since you also own a D4, I have some AF questions for you.

How is the X-T1 for sport photography like kite boarding or surfing? The second area of question is concert photography with band members jumping about and rapidly moving around on stage. My Nikon D4 or even Df as a backup body do just fine with the 24-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 VRII. I've tried with the Sony A7/A7r cameras and they just can't do it.

Can the X-T1 acquire and focus fast enough? Can it track accurately enough?

Thanks,

Ray

bradhusick

Hi Ray,

That's my next test coming up this weekend - I will try shooting indoor lacrosse in bad lighting, trying to track the players as they come toward and away. It's an acid test for sports shooting. I will report back.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Thanks Brad. Honestly I'm considering get out of my Nikon system and want to find a smaller alternative. The only reason that my Nikon gear is still around is for this purpose.

I have an X system which is fun and capable for a lot of my stuff, but the X-E2 is not up to the job on Kite Boarding or Concerts. I'm really loving the X glass, ergonomics, and controls. I find them much more intuitive than Sony. At the moment I have the 14, 23, 35, 56 (on pre-order), 18-55, 55-200. Great system when 16 MP is sufficient.

For the Kite boarding and concerts, 16MP is fine as it is for web or up to full page magazine ads.

Looking forward to hearing back how good the actual focus tracking of the X-T1 is.

Thanks,

Ray

Paratom

Hi guys,
I had one in my hand yesterday and have to say I found it imediatly the best feeling mirrorless camera. Whit most other mirrorless I feel lost with all the buttons and menues. With the xt1 everything looks very easy and intuitive.
Also the size seems just big enough that they dont feel like toy buttons like found on many smaller cameras.
Built also feels excellent.

When I had a x-pro 1 I was not totally convinced about the IQ compared to my M9 at that time. Images looked somewhat flatter and colors not so saturated. (I used LR at that time)

So my questions: How do you guys think does the IQ compare to Leica M?

Just some weeks ago I decided that mirrorless are not really for me and now Fuji presents such a sweet camera.

Please keep all posting images and experience. Thanks!!! And have fun with your new cameras.