The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 first impressions...

harmsr

Workshop Member
Gotta agree with you Graham.

I have a full Nikon system that just works but doesn't inspire & only comes along when I have to because of the weight.

I have an M240 which I love for personal work & some concert work. However, I'm down to just the .95 Noctilux which lives on this body. It's my go to 50.

The RX1r which I have fallen in love with for a take everywhere camera & is my go to for 35. It even got me to sell the 35 Lux FLE. This lens & sensor combo is just AMAZING.

Now for the Fuji X system. I started out with an X100 and eventually an X100s. They were great vacation cameras but not a pro tool. I also have had an X-Pro 1. It was getting closer, but just too slow. Along comes the X-E2, which was better but still not there. Finally, the X-T1 is in my hands. OMG. This camera's ergonomics, response, ease of use, & menu system with the really good fuji glass had the MOJO. The next iteration of this camera & the weather sealed 2.8 long zoom, may just get me out of my Nikon gear.

I'm still experimenting with the Sony A7/A7R system also. I love the native glass & fabulous sensor, but HATE the camera. I'm going to stay in the A7 & sell the A7r. The R is just to slow with the shutter lag & vibration. Right now, the A7 is becoming my studio camera.

I'm holding out the verdict on which will stay as my system, Fuji or Sony. I will say that the one which is really enjoyable to shoot is the Fuji.

jonoslack

Gotta agree with you Graham.

I have a full Nikon system that just works but doesn't inspire & only comes along when I have to because of the weight.

I have an M240 which I love for personal work & some concert work. However, I'm down to just the .95 Noctilux which lives on this body. It's my go to 50.

The RX1r which I have fallen in love with for a take everywhere camera & is my go to for 35. It even got me to sell the 35 Lux FLE. This lens & sensor combo is just AMAZING.

Now for the Fuji X system. I started out with an X100 and eventually an X100s. They were great vacation cameras but not a pro tool. I also have had an X-Pro 1. It was getting closer, but just too slow. Along comes the X-E2, which was better but still not there. Finally, the X-T1 is in my hands. OMG. This camera's ergonomics, response, ease of use, & menu system with the really good fuji glass had the MOJO. The next iteration of this camera & the weather sealed 2.8 long zoom, may just get me out of my Nikon gear.

I'm still experimenting with the Sony A7/A7R system also. I love the native glass & fabulous sensor, but HATE the camera. I'm going to stay in the A7 & sell the A7r. The R is just to slow with the shutter lag & vibration. Right now, the A7 is becoming my studio camera.

I'm holding out the verdict on which will stay as my system, Fuji or Sony. I will say that the one which is really enjoyable to shoot is the Fuji.
That's really interesting. I'm also deciding which will stay and which will go - I've got the A7, E-M1, X-T1 - I also had an A7r, but like you, I found the shutter lag and vibration to be impossible. At the moment the A7 is definitely at the back of the race!

all the best

bradhusick

Brad.

I just got my X-T1 and have been playing with it today. I have not had a chance to try any REAL focus tracking shots, but did find two things really interesting. Turning on the "High Performance" mode under power management and also taking the size of the focus patch down really improved autofocus speed and accuracy.

The default is HP off and the medium focus patch.

How was your's set-up for the lacrosse test?
I did have the focus spot narrow but not in high performance mode. I think I need some further testing even with 3rd party telephoto manual focus lenses in the dim light to see if the camera itself can keep up.

I can't wait for the Fuji 50-150 2.8

Last edited:

Paul2660

I did have the focus spot narrow but not in high performance mode. I think I need some further testing even with 3rd party telephoto manual focus lenses in the dim light to see if the camera itself can keep up.

How do you change the focus spot to narrow? Can't seem to find that.

I got it I had face detection on. That defeats the ability to do anything with the AF point.

Thanks

Paul C

Last edited:

greypilgrim

Michael Reichmann has his impressions on the X-T1 up on Luminous Landscape. Kind of an interesting read. I think it meshes with some of what people have written here (that it depends on your style of shooting whether it works for you, but that it is wonderfully laid out....).

Mine arrives today (finally).

Doug

jonoslack

Michael Reichmann has his impressions on the X-T1 up on Luminous Landscape. Kind of an interesting read. I think it meshes with some of what people have written here (that it depends on your style of shooting whether it works for you, but that it is wonderfully laid out....).

Mine arrives today (finally).

Doug
HI Doug
I read it with interest - but I thought the Canada Geese analogy was a bit lame (Canada Ducks maybe :) ). . . . and if you're shooting RAW do you really need all those blinks and zebras to get the exposure right?

I get what he means about custom modes, but the trouble is that you forget you're in them and shoot a whole lot at the wrong settings (or I do). There isn't a cure for being a pillock. At least with the Fuji you can SEE what's what. Actually, my trouble with custom modes is that I forget what I put in them! :eek:

bradhusick

Jono, I agree completely with you comment about custom modes.

On the Fuji I love the fact that I can see all my shooting settings BEFORE I turn on the camera! Just like the old days when cameras barely had power switches.

I just wish they'd hurry up and sell fast long lenses.

JonMo

I think that Michael's point for custom settings is valid.
I also agree with Jono about the issues involved.
The camera is set up to allow both if implemented by Fuji.

I would love to see a "pro" setting to take advantage of the camera dials set to "A" or automatic. Within the menu select either "A Standard" the auto setting for those that need everything decided for them and "A Pro" which would allow you to set all the specifics of a custom setting and assign it to one of the function buttons.

This would make custom settings only available when all the dials and switches are set to the "A" markings. So no issues for Jono (and myself :))

And take care of those like Michael whom use them extensively.

Since the "A" settings all ready allow for everything to change as necessary, there should be very little involved to implement this workflow.

As I am in Canada, I still wait for the arrival of my X-T1 with much jealousy towards those who have been posting their experiences.

Soooon, please sooooooooon. Oh and another vote for Long Fast Lenses.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.........................

jonoslack

I shot a few this morning, the colours are just lovely

Moss and Frost

Of course, it's with the kit zoom (it's all I've got).

I'm liking it more and more as I get used to it.

tbhv55

I get what he means about custom modes, but the trouble is that you forget you're in them and shoot a whole lot at the wrong settings (or I do). There isn't a cure for being a pillock. At least with the Fuji you can SEE what's what. Actually, my trouble with custom modes is that I forget what I put in them! :eek:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Superbly articulated! This is pretty much exactly how I would have put it...:D

greypilgrim

Jono and Brad, I agree. For me, having the settings visible on the camera rather than menu diving is the way to go. I did find his points interesting (I just rejected some of them for the way I shoot which is actually something he says in the article.)

I shoot mostly with primes and often with manual lenses, so if I am getting the geese (ducks? :) ), it is with the lens I have on the camera and with the settings I can manually set.

I do not see the scenario of shooting a portrait and then magically having the right lens for the wildlife.

Still, I found the article a good read because it made me think some...

Doug

PS I'm off to the UPS store to pick mine up :)...

Last edited:

nostatic

Not to be an advocate of the devil (hail, satan!), but the settings on the XT1 that are available on physical controls aren't necessarily buried in menus on other cameras, are they? For instance, the A7(r) has two dials and a control wheel, and if you're in M mode and look through the EVF you see the aperture, shutter speed, and iso indicated. You've got the ability to change those settings without taking your eyes from the EVF or moving your left hand.

I agree that you can see them from "outside" the camera, but are there other settings that are physical controls on the XT1 that require a menu dive on another comparable camera?

Also I have no idea what a pillock is, but I have a gut feeling that I need to use that term about some people at work...

Paratom

That's really interesting. I'm also deciding which will stay and which will go - I've got the A7, E-M1, X-T1 - I also had an A7r, but like you, I found the shutter lag and vibration to be impossible. At the moment the A7 is definitely at the back of the race!

all the best
Jono, did you find a solution for your smeared green problems? I remember some days ago you sounded like the Fuji would go back but now you sound different. I might be interested to get either a EM1 or a xt1 for casual fast moments.

ceklund

HI Doug
I read it with interest - but I thought the Canada Geese analogy was a bit lame (Canada Ducks maybe :) ). . . . and if you're shooting RAW do you really need all those blinks and zebras to get the exposure right?

Exactly. And why for most of us, all the systems being discussed produce excellent IQ, but how we communicate with the camera and how it communicates with us - is key.

Chuck

jonoslack

HI Todd
Not to be an advocate of the devil (hail, satan!), but the settings on the XT1 that are available on physical controls aren't necessarily buried in menus on other cameras, are they? For instance, the A7(r) has two dials and a control wheel, and if you're in M mode and look through the EVF you see the aperture, shutter speed, and iso indicated. You've got the ability to change those settings without taking your eyes from the EVF or moving your left hand.
I agree that you can see them from "outside" the camera,
Of course there are disadvantages in having the settings on the outside as well - I think you could indulge in a pretty big philosophical debate about this!

but are there other settings that are physical controls on the XT1 that require a menu dive on another comparable camera?
Hmm - well, there are outside controls for ISO, Exposure mode, shot mode and focus mode - you don't necessarily have to delve in menus, but it usually needs something rather less explicit.

Also I have no idea what a pillock is, but I have a gut feeling that I need to use that term about some people at work...

Bob, as for the Wiktionary definition - it's pretty clearly understood around here to refer to the other part of a man's tackle - so not quite a D1ckhead - more perhaps a Ballhead? but I think the meaning is pretty accurate!

jonoslack

Jono, did you find a solution for your smeared green problems? I remember some days ago you sounded like the Fuji would go back but now you sound different. I might be interested to get either a EM1 or a xt1 for casual fast moments.
Hi Tom
Well - learning to use the RAW files in Aperture has pretty much fixed the problem, and for other situations Iridient produces sparklingly sharp files.

all the best