The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 first impressions...

greypilgrim

Well, I decided to go all in in my X-T1 experiment. I have been using the X-T1 with the 35mm and then adapted nikkors. I've decided to add the 14 and the 55-200.

I've decided to run two system side by side as I have my EM-5 and lenses. I will do this until one wins out, or I decide to remain with both (a weird concept to me, but possible I guess).

As some will surely relate (Jono probably :) ), the leading deciding factor ultimately was the differences in camera design between the EM-1 (which I would have been getting as my second camera) and the X-T1. I just kept going through all the setup you have to do with the EM-1 and the myriad configurations you have to do as opposed to the X-T1 where you can pretty much pick it up and shoot it.

On the downside, I am still frequently annoyed by the record button and how easy it is to hit. I have lost shots due to not being able to set things quite as fast as I want, and the two features I really miss are IBIS and live view highlights/shadows as a configuration.

So, the adventure continues.

Doug

Paratom

.... I just kept going through all the setup you have to do with the EM-1 and the myriad configurations you have to do as opposed to the X-T1 where you can pretty much pick it up and shoot it.
….

Doug
Complexe user interface is exactly my problem with most m43 (also the OMD which I currently own).
The user interface of the XT1 would suit me better - seems I am one of those people who like it simple.

Sensor of the A7 with the lens options of Fuji, the UI of the XT1, viewfinder from x-pro 1 and AF-speed of the EM1. Thats all I ask for ;) Ahh-it should also take Leica lenses and have a rangefinder included ;)

Mike Woods

Is anyone using M lenses with the official adapter? I'm really interested in the process/button presses necessary to invoke zoom, peaking etc.

Thanks in advance

Mike

harmsr

Workshop Member
Mike, Yes I have the adaptor. I have the 35 Lux FLE, 50/.95 Nocti, 90/4 Macro. They all work great on the X-T1.

Use is easy. Depends on what you have set for MF assist. I like the split image.

If you are using no assist, just standard viewing - just look in the EVF focus based on the screen and go. If you want to magnify, then just press the focus assist button on the back.

If you are using split image or peaking, flip the dial on the front of the camera to manual focus and this activates the assist mode. If you want to magnify, then just press the focus assist button on the back.

To be honest, the Fuji glass is really good. I mainly bought the adaptor to use the 90/4 on it, since their is no equivalent yet in the Fuji line up. You won't be disappointed using Fuji glass or M glass.

Ray

Mike Woods

Mike, Yes I have the adaptor. I have the 35 Lux FLE, 50/.95 Nocti, 90/4 Macro. They all work great on the X-T1.

Use is easy. Depends on what you have set for MF assist. I like the split image.

If you are using no assist, just standard viewing - just look in the EVF focus based on the screen and go. If you want to magnify, then just press the focus assist button on the back.

If you are using split image or peaking, flip the dial on the front of the camera to manual focus and this activates the assist mode. If you want to magnify, then just press the focus assist button on the back.

To be honest, the Fuji glass is really good. I mainly bought the adaptor to use the 90/4 on it, since their is no equivalent yet in the Fuji line up. You won't be disappointed using Fuji glass or M glass.

Ray
Thanks Ray, that helped a lot. So much so that I went and tried it for myself at my dealer's today.... and succumbed to temptation :) First impressions are excellent, and yes the 35/50 'luxes seem lovely and manual focussing is so much better than the Olympus I traded in....

I just wish the front fn1 button could be assigned to focus assist; for me it falls much easier to hand than the rear button. Oh well, can't have everything!

Mike

MontyMo

Hello. I've really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing.
Here's what is going on in my life. I'm a long time Nikon shooter, D800 and some lenses. A while ago I got a bug to try a smaller camera. I purchased an s100x. I really like the tiny Fuji. A camera that actually fits in my pocket(I take my camera everywhere, even the D800). The joy of having a camera that isn't always in the way... I love it.

My favorite lens on the D800 is my 70-200. I just love 200mm @ f/2.8. I miss it. But when I leave the house the Fuji is in my hand. It's too convent.

So. I've got a few "head shots" to do for work. When I'm done with them the Nikon is going to go. The X-T1 is starting to look good. The 56mm f/1.2 is very appealing. I'm really sold on the smaller form factor.

Thanks
Monty

Lloyd

Monty, I'm a long-time Nikon shooter as well, but was an early adopter on the Fuji X cameras and now have an X-Pro1 and the XT-1. I love the 70-200 as well, and now I shoot it on my XT-1 with a Nikon to Fuji adapter. You might consider something like that. I have a commercial job this weekend where I plan to shoot the 300/2.8 and maybe even the 500/4 in the Fuji with the adapter. Could be fun! ;)

MontyMo

Monty, I'm a long-time Nikon shooter as well, but was an early adopter on the Fuji X cameras and now have an X-Pro1 and the XT-1. I love the 70-200 as well, and now I shoot it on my XT-1 with a Nikon to Fuji adapter. You might consider something like that. I have a commercial job this weekend where I plan to shoot the 300/2.8 and maybe even the 500/4 in the Fuji with the adapter. Could be fun! ;)
That 70-200 must look HUGE one the XT-1 :) and I'll bet you can't even see the camera with the 500mm on it

darr

I am renting a X-T1 now from LensRentals and my first impression is not as upbeat as most who have posted here. I am finding the processing time to be longer than my NEX-7 and sometimes longer than my Sigma Merrills. I am using it with the grip plus extra battery and all batteries are charged. I will say I like the controls, but wish the 2 sec self timer mode stayed on after I turn it off, but it does not, thus making it have to be set each time I turn the camera back on. I do not think I will be purchasing one, but will stay tuned to whatever improvements may come about. I am thinking the next model will be better. The image quality is nice, but since shooting the Merrills, I think I got use to the sharpness from no AA filter and would like more towards that look, but the controls are the best I have used in small digital to date. Just my 2 cents.

Valentin

Hi,

I got the X-T1 with the kit lens and the images (IQ wise) are not even close to what I'm seeing in the samples thread. I'm trying to determine if it's the lens, the processing software or I just have a bad copy.

All the images are extremely soft (like they are just out of focus) and applying clarity/sharpening techniques will improve them, but it's missing that right look (I don't like extra sharp images, but I don't want OOF one either :) ).

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong since, obviously, good images can come out of the camera. All the images were shot in RAW and used LR (Adobe profile looked best compared with the film simulations). The JPEG (camera JPEG) looked better, but still not there. That makes me believe that the software has something to do with it. So, what software do you use for processing RAW? And (if anybody did a comparison) how big of a difference is between the kit lens and the prime ones?

Thank you.

Mike Woods

Hi,

I got the X-T1 with the kit lens and the images (IQ wise) are not even close to what I'm seeing in the samples thread. I'm trying to determine if it's the lens, the processing software or I just have a bad copy.

All the images are extremely soft (like they are just out of focus) and applying clarity/sharpening techniques will improve them, but it's missing that right look (I don't like extra sharp images, but I don't want OOF one either :) ).

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong since, obviously, good images can come out of the camera. All the images were shot in RAW and used LR (Adobe profile looked best compared with the film simulations). The JPEG (camera JPEG) looked better, but still not there. That makes me believe that the software has something to do with it. So, what software do you use for processing RAW? And (if anybody did a comparison) how big of a difference is between the kit lens and the prime ones?

Thank you.
Hi - can I ask if you have stabilisation turned on? If so try turning it off and report back?

Mike

Valentin

Hi - can I ask if you have stabilisation turned on? If so try turning it off and report back?

Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes, the stabilization was on. I was so frustrated that I can't get a decent looking image that I returned it, so I can't try that anymore.

I might get the camera body only and get another lens. Is there a walk around lens (zoom) that is decent?