Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 151 to 168 of 168

Thread: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

  1. #151
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    LOL. That's awesome :-)



    Well certainly it has individual things. What I can tell you is that I notice better work from great photographers who seem more inclined to say the tool doesn't matter vs the other camp. Not only in the ones I can see at present time, but the ones that one can read that are considered in history world class photographers.

    Anyway, I will keep my promise, didn't mean to hijack this thread.
    - Ricardo
    Well. a good place to stop. I agree with that absolutely and wholeheartedly

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #152
    Senior Member Braeside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fife, Scotland (UK)
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Jono, you mentioned you were unable to change from multi metering mode on your camera? I notice in the manual that the metering mode selected option will only take effect when intelligent face detection is off, I wonder if that was anything to do with your problem or not?

    Sorry if granny and sucking eggs applies!

    Cheers
    David Anderson
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #153
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Jono, you mentioned you were unable to change from multi metering mode on your camera? I notice in the manual that the metering mode selected option will only take effect when intelligent face detection is off, I wonder if that was anything to do with your problem or not?

    Sorry if granny and sucking eggs applies!

    Cheers
    Thanks grandson You're right - I'd not turned it on, but it WAS on - even after a factory reset

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  4. #154
    Senior Member Braeside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fife, Scotland (UK)
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Ah very good Jono, glad that did the trick. I just discovered my X20 works in the same manner...
    David Anderson
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #155
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    BTW same should be true also for AF point selection - will not work as long as intelligent face detection is on (at least with XE2, so I assume same for XT1).

  6. #156
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there David
    I'm not a serious pixel peeper myself, but these look awful, artifacts everywhere on Iridient and smudginess in LR. Comparing them to E-M1 files isn't funny.
    Maybe Aperture will do better....... But when? I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have a try with Silkypix .
    I've emailed Fuji, I can't believe that this isn't going to be a really big deal, so maybe they'll sort it with a firmware update. I hope I can find a solution because I really love the camera!
    Thank you for the offer! I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not in a hurry. One thing is that I won't be buying any more lenses yet.
    Jono, I just got the XT 1 and I use LR, which doesn't have an update which includes the XT1 yet (yes, I think there is a LR5.4Beta floating around that has it, but I haven't tried to fine it yet). And the latest version of ACR will handle the XT1 raw files but it hasn't been incorporated into a new version of LR5. Anyway, I downloaded Adobe DNG convertor which will handle the XT1 raw files and ran them all through DNG convertor. My copy of LR5.3 was able to import and edit the files as DNG's. Now, I am literally in day 2 with the XT1 and don't know how LR handles these newly created DNG's, but I'm wondering 1) if this might be a viable option for you and Aperture (I'm assuming Aperture will process DNG's) and 2) How others that are more experienced than me in working with the converted files feel about this process.

  7. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by kdriceman View Post
    Jono, I just got the XT 1 and I use LR, which doesn't have an update which includes the XT1 yet (yes, I think there is a LR5.4Beta floating around that has it, but I haven't tried to fine it yet). And the latest version of ACR will handle the XT1 raw files but it hasn't been incorporated into a new version of LR5. Anyway, I downloaded Adobe DNG convertor which will handle the XT1 raw files and ran them all through DNG convertor. My copy of LR5.3 was able to import and edit the files as DNG's. Now, I am literally in day 2 with the XT1 and don't know how LR handles these newly created DNG's, but I'm wondering 1) if this might be a viable option for you and Aperture (I'm assuming Aperture will process DNG's) and 2) How others that are more experienced than me in working with the converted files feel about this process.
    Link for some info on Aperture and DNG's:

    Aperture 2 and 3: Tips on Baseline DNG support

    Doug
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #158
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by kdriceman View Post
    Jono, I just got the XT 1 and I use LR, which doesn't have an update which includes the XT1 yet (yes, I think there is a LR5.4Beta floating around that has it, but I haven't tried to fine it yet). And the latest version of ACR will handle the XT1 raw files but it hasn't been incorporated into a new version of LR5. Anyway, I downloaded Adobe DNG convertor which will handle the XT1 raw files and ran them all through DNG convertor. My copy of LR5.3 was able to import and edit the files as DNG's. Now, I am literally in day 2 with the XT1 and don't know how LR handles these newly created DNG's, but I'm wondering 1) if this might be a viable option for you and Aperture (I'm assuming Aperture will process DNG's) and 2) How others that are more experienced than me in working with the converted files feel about this process.
    Hi there
    Tragically , Apple don't support the more recent DNG standards. It's inexcusable, but files with lens corrections simply won't work in Aperture. Changing the camera model to the X100s, however , means that Aperture will read the RAF files directly, so the issue can be resolved (Thank you Ario)

    Just this guy you know

  9. #159
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there
    Tragically , Apple don't support the more recent DNG standards. It's inexcusable, but files with lens corrections simply won't work in Aperture. Changing the camera model to the X100s, however , means that Aperture will read the RAF files directly, so the issue can be resolved (Thank you Ario)
    The Apple vs Adobe war raging forward I suppose.

  10. #160
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Part of the DNG issue is what part of DNG do you support? It seems few support the normalized/linear/demosaic'd embedded image format and all of the converters seem to rely on the device specific embedded raw content which requires knowledge of the original camera. This is where I feel the whole 'archive' aspect of DNG falls apart IMHO. (You need both linear and raw DNG I believe)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #161
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there
    Tragically , Apple don't support the more recent DNG standards. It's inexcusable, but files with lens corrections simply won't work in Aperture. Changing the camera model to the X100s, however , means that Aperture will read the RAF files directly, so the issue can be resolved (Thank you Ario)
    I struggled with the X100s' IQ last year, Jono, and it becomes an endless loop of trying converter X,Y,Z with settings 1,2,3. Ultimately, what we've got is a sliding scale from painterly smoothness (like from the jpegs and LR) to more details with artifacts (like Iridient) to some combination of both (like Aperture and C1.) Accuraw may be the overall best option, at least in terms of IQ, because you can adjust where on the scale you'd like to be, depending on the image. That's the real key. It is all highly dependent on the scene/image, which is why one person may say they don't see any issues, while another may be frustrated with what they're seeing (my situation.)

    I thought switching from LR to Aperture would be a good enough compromise, but I started seeing all of these green/purple dots and artifacts showing up in some instances, and we're talking about web sized images, not 100% pixel peeping.

    I've finally given up on the X-trans headache, and I actually re-bought a couple of the "old" X100 cameras, now that the firmware updates have made the camera so much faster, and I'm enjoying being able to use my old Lightroom workflow without all of the hassle and frustration. I wish Fuji would offer more Bayer options in the X-mount line. The slight low light improvement from X-trans just isn't worth all of the sacrifice, IMO.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #162
    Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    At home with the flu and time on my hands.. so I just opened the raw file with all the green leaves in Silkypix 5... the green channel is clipped or very close to clipped... so no wonder you dont have any detail in the ivy leaves in the middle of the frame... I cant see the typical smearing problems though... I opened it up in adobe as well.. -- again no smearing but by pulling back the highlights I got some more detail in the leaves... BUT I do have to say that those leaves dont look that sharp.... Something a wee bit odd, but not what I would call th etypical watercolour effect/smearing... I can load up the silkypix tif if you like? Gonna have a look at the second file now

  13. #163
    Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Here are the jpegs and the link to full size tifs (16bit) straight from Silkypix
    (one caveat, these were done on the sofa with my MBP Retina, not on my main mac with Eizo screen..)




    http://www.lediardfoto.com/_DSF1259.tif

    http://www.lediardfoto.com/_DSF1199.tif
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #164
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Here's Jono's original "problem" file as processed by Lightroom 5.4 using just a little sharpening and clarity. Click for larger.
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:06.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    Here are the jpegs and the link to full size tifs (16bit) straight from Silkypix
    (one caveat, these were done on the sofa with my MBP Retina, not on my main mac with Eizo screen..)




    http://www.lediardfoto.com/_DSF1259.tif

    http://www.lediardfoto.com/_DSF1199.tif

    Just noticed there's some weird green artifacts in the blue sky, near the top, center of the image (in the first tif).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #166
    Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
    Just noticed there's some weird green artifacts in the blue sky, near the top, center of the image (in the first tif).
    Good catch As said the greens in the leaves are clipped some so I used the highlight controller to pull them back but I had it biassed towards saturation and not hue.. (was lookin intently at the mushy ivy leaves inthe middle) I just changed the settings to bias hue and some other small tweeks and the artifacts went away.. that blue area is showing as clipped in both adobe and silkypix, but they both control highlights in different ways it seems and I havnt learnt silkypix fully yet.. but I find it is definitely better at small details than lightroom/acr I have loaded up a new version now...

    It seems to me taht part of the "problem" with this file is high detail content together with clipping in the blue and green channels...

    http://www.lediardfoto.com/_DSF1259-2.tif

  17. #167
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    Good catch As said the greens in the leaves are clipped some so I used the highlight controller to pull them back but I had it biassed towards saturation and not hue.. (was lookin intently at the mushy ivy leaves inthe middle) I just changed the settings to bias hue and some other small tweeks and the artifacts went away.. that blue area is showing as clipped in both adobe and silkypix, but they both control highlights in different ways it seems and I havnt learnt silkypix fully yet.. but I find it is definitely better at small details than lightroom/acr I have loaded up a new version now...

    It seems to me taht part of the "problem" with this file is high detail content together with clipping in the blue and green channels...

    http://www.lediardfoto.com/_DSF1259-2.tif
    I downloaded the new tif and I see the difference - much better. I wonder if the SOOC jpg shows any problems? but I guess it's not really a fair analysis of the sensor if any channel is clipped, let alone 2 channels. I'm this close to buying the x-t1 (I already bought 3 lenses during the sale). Some of your portrait photos with the 23mm and the one of the father and son with the 10-24mm are inspiring that I'm probably going to go ahead with the purchase in the next month. I really enjoy seeing your work Nathan!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #168
    Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

    Thanks Glen I am really pleased with the Fuji X-system so far, it still has some maturing to do, but it is a much more mature system than it was only a year ago... I love the 23 and the 56, great lenses that hold their own against the big guns from canon (I had them and dont miss them)
    Is it perfect? No. But show me a "perfect" camera The X-T1 is a good camera capable of delivering quality files. But yes it takes some time to learn the idiosyncrasies of the sensor. Most of my work is portrait orientated and smearing is 99% of the time a non issue

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •