The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1, my conundrum: Kit versus just body

greypilgrim

So, I've kinda referenced this in the "greens" thread, but I'd like feedback specific to this question as I am dithering relentlessly :banghead:

I've ordered the kit, and it arrives tomorrow. Keep it or send it back and order the body only and some primes?

Any prime shooters with good reasons for using that $400 on the kit lens?

others?

Thanks,

Doug

Parameters I am weighing:

* Normally I shoot primes (m4/3 kit 12, 20, 45, ++).
* $400 more for the kit lens could go towards primes instead.
* Kit lens does have OIS though and is supposed to be excellent.
* My preferred wide angle of view is 24mm equivalent (hence the oly 12mm).
* There are some sweet deals on the Fuji 14 and 27 (I like the 40mm equivalent).
* Bird in the hand (kit arrives tomorrow) versus getting the body "sometime" depending on availability.
* I will be getting a Speed Booster to use my old nikkors on the body. I have pretty much every FL covered from 20 on with those (20,24, 28, 35, 50, 90, 105, 75-150, 200, 300)
* I shoot mostly landscapes and macros (I'm covered on macros for now), opportunistic wildlife, and candids when the opportunity arises.
* The fuji lenses have quite the reputation (the 14 is probably guaranteed to beat out my 20 nikkor for instance)

bradhusick

I made the decision you're facing and got the kit lens. It's pretty darn good and nice to have as an all-around for opportunistic shooting.

jonoslack

Hi Doug
I'm with Brad - the kit lens is pretty good, and at UK prices one could probably sell it on and make the money back if you change your mind later.

all the best

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As Jono mentioned, the zoom is very good and the discounted price within a combo deal makes it good value if you should decide to sell it separately.

Should you decide to buy a prime, the 35/1.4 and 23/1.4 are both outstanding and the 27/2.8 is a fine compact single lens solution too. Personally, I find that the 14/2.8 plus 18-55 & 55-200 is a great travel combination as well.

greypilgrim

I've thought about the sell it later thing if I don't use it (don't enjoy doing the evilbay thing though). I'm probably over analyzing this because my wife said to go ahead and get the camera even though I have my m4/3 gear, and I want to maximize that treat :) :D.

UPS came while I was out, so they didn't deliver today :(.

Doug

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The reality is that you'll keep the 18-55mm. It's a great lens on it's own.

Yes, I admit I am somewhat biased. :angel:

Last edited:

greypilgrim

biased is good; that's the type of info I am looking for. If I was being logical, I wouldn't be getting the x-t1 in the first place :).

Thanks,

Doug