Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tips for Raw Processing with the Fuji X-T1

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips for Raw Processing with the Fuji X-T1

I am a mainly people photographer, but sometimes my backgrounds do show the so called watercolour effect... I have Lightrom as my main tool as this is what I use for my Hasselblad files, but sometimes I get better conversions from Phocus (hasselblads own software) I have no problem in dropping out of lightroom, developing the raw to a 16 bit tiff and then syncing it back in Lightroom ready for other adjustments, I now do the same with my X camera files... I am actualy using silkypix 5 on the Mac and once you get used to the workflow it has given me the best results of anything I have tried so far, including c1 and aperture... I just export a 16 bit tiff and do the rest in Lightroom..

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan, your workflow (SP5 conversion then tiff import to LR) - you lose access to the new LR fuji profiles, right?
    --Mike

My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
    Nathan, your workflow (SP5 conversion then tiff import to LR) - you lose access to the new LR fuji profiles, right?
    yes, that is the only downside I can see... you can also not apply the profiles to a camera produced jpeg, sof if you have a jepeg in colour, you cannot use the fuji black and white profiles for any mono-conversion you might like to do... The new profiles only work on raw files. Luckily its not often I need silkypix, but the times I do it is worth the trouble, and with a bit of tweaking I can get the colurs to match pretty good... Silkypix has some profiles built in, but they are not exactly the same as the adobe ones... havnt done any indepth comparisons yet... but so far I prefer silkypix to Aperture and C1 when I hit that watercolour problem, which for me is as I said luckily not very often I just did a commercial shoot where I would normally use both my Hassy and my Canon, I switched out the canon for the X-T1 for the first time and what I did was to convert all X-T1 files in silky pix and all hassy files in Lightroom.. I then just synced the folder and did the final adjustments on the tifs.... didnt really add that much time to my workflow...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    I am actualy using silkypix 5 on the Mac and once you get used to the workflow it has given me the best results of anything I have tried so far, including c1 and aperture... I just export a 16 bit tiff and do the rest in Lightroom..
    Nathan,
    how are the skintones out of silkypix 5? I have a hard time getting good skintones out of silkypix 6 (trial version). Other than that I agree, Silkypix gives the better results than C1.

Martin
    Martin Ranger - Seattle, WA
    www.martinrangerimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mranger211 View Post
    Nathan,
    how are the skintones out of silkypix 5? I have a hard time getting good skintones out of silkypix 6 (trial version). Other than that I agree, Silkypix gives the better results than C1.

Martin
    To be honest I havnt done that much testing with portraits in silkypix yet... my portraits dont generally suffer from the problems that sometimes show up with adobe... That said, what little I have seen seem OK I will have to play with a file or two and see...

Post Thanks / Like

just had a quick look at a couple of portraits and taking into account I am sitting on the sofa with my MBP retina (got the flu) and not on my Eizo I just looked at a snapshot of my ypungest son, taken with horrible tungsten light, and with a quick white balance adjustment things looked pretty good.. maybe a tad magenta in skin tones but tjis was easily adjusted with the "fine color adjuster" just clicked on the magenta area and then moved the hue slider of the selected colour and bingo The more I use silkypix the more I like it! yea it uses funny terminology, but once you get used to it I find the workflow is really as bad as some would have it to be Yea it doesnt have all the bells and whisltes like gradient tools etc, but you can work around that if you have too...

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan, I am with you about Silkypix. I does give the best results, and is not really all that horrible to work with. I checked the colors again, and it seems to be a Silkypix 6 problem (at least for me). Using the Silkypix 4 color setting in SP6 solves the problem more or less.
    Martin Ranger - Seattle, WA
    www.martinrangerimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post