The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X - Lenses Longer than 200mm

sc_john

I would like to have max effective focal length of 400-500mm on Fuji X (X-T1 and X Pro-1). I would prefer using a lens with aperture ring. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks.

John

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
If your looking for a native Fuji autofocus lens, I am sorry but your out of luck I'm afraid.

If you are up to manual focus, there are adapters for practically every lens ever made, so pick your poison. The world is your oyster, so to speak. If looking for an inexpensive but still quality option, check out the Contax Zeiss and Canon FD mount options. Both are excellent choices on an X series body John.

Good luck with your search, and please do let us know what you end up choosing?

sc_john

Chuck,

Thanks for quick reply. I know that Fuji lenses are limited to 20mm and no teleconverter. I was specifically interested in other manufacturers via adapter, so your response is right on the mark. I'll look into Contax Zeiss and Canon. Thanks again.

John

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
John, I just bought a Canon 70-210 FD for $40 that is very nice lens. I also just received a $60 Canon 100-300mm FD I have not had a chance to get out and test yet, since the rains have finally come to Los Angeles. I got both for my A7R. The 100-300 looks good indoors, for what that is worth, and works a treat.

I love the old push-pull zooms in locations without a bunch of dust. Dusty areas, probably want something else as the push-pull does suck a lot of air (and dust!) inside the lens every time you zoom. This 100-300 will get you out to an effective 450mm. You can also buy an "L" version of this lens for under $500, though how much better I am not sure. Both versions are f/5.6.

This lens will cost you under $100 with proper adapter and shipping! Going longer than this will start to cost you money, but it can be done just as easily. Remember too that since you are using an APS-C size sensor, you will only be using the sweet spot of the lens if it was originally built for full frame 35mm film. It is a lot easier to get acceptably good long glass than it is to get ultra wides.

sc_john

I love the old push-pull zooms in locations without a bunch of dust. Dusty areas, probably want something else as the push-pull does suck a lot of air (and dust!) inside the lens every time you zoom.
Chuck,

Lots of options! I am looking of long capability for a trip to Namibia… so, the push/pull is probably not the best option. But, as you say, there are a lot of low cost options out there.

John

greypilgrim

I use a Tamron SP 300mm f5.6. I use it with a regular adapter and with a speed booster. (450mm and 350mm equiv respectively). I also use a 200mm f4 nikkor, but that's shorter than you are asking for.

Doug

sc_john

Doug,

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with an 80-200 zoom with a TC. Given the high iso performance of the X-T1, I can crank up iso to maintain high shutter speed. I did some experimenting yesterday, and this approach seems OK. More testing in the next days.

John

greypilgrim

Hi John,
I considered that route, but I went with the lesser weight option. I'd say you will probably get better resolution if it is one of the good quality zooms.

Enjoy,

Doug