The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how to set up split screen on X-T1

ashwinrao1

Hi guys,

Just got the X-T1, finally. It's a beauty!
I am trying to set up the EVF screen to show 2 images (the big image to the left, and the smaller side BW image to assist with focus on the right) to aid in manual focus assist, but I don't see the options in any of the "MF assist" tab in the menus, nor can I enable it on the "view mode" button on the side of the EVF,or focus assist button to the side of the LCD . I am not sure if one needs the fuji M adapter to enable this...

Can any of you help me with how to do this?

Thanks in advance?

ashwinrao1

By the way, this is the video to which I refer. I'd like to try this view for focusing:

FUJIFILM X-T1: "Digital Split Image" manual focusing system - YouTube

When I enable "digital split image" for MF assist, I get a grey window in the middle of the screen, which then does this split image deal in bars and zooms in while turning the manual focus wheel on the lens. Once I click the shutter, the image zooms back out...I never can find a few as is described or shown in this video, and that's what I would like to enable...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Make sure that focus mode is M on the front of the camera.
Press Disp until you see side by side.
Press and hold focus assist to change the mode between std, split image and focus peak highlight.

When you half press the shutter the 2nd display will blank out and the primary display will reflect the cameras settings for exposure/aperture and give you an accurate final image preview with DOF etc.

This'll work on both EVF and LCD.

What lens are you using btw?

Also, I just checked with my camera and AF lenses whilst in C/S AF mode won't bring up the second MF window unless you put the lens into MF mode.

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Thanks, Graham. I have gotten it to work on the rear LCD...still struggling activating the feature in the EVF. Even though the LCD view switches over, the EVF hasn't. I am using the 35 mm f/1.4..have the 23 and 56 as well to test...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The EVF and LCD settings are independent. If you've got the split display showing on the LCD, put the camera up to your eye and press the Disp button until you see the same in the EVF.

Ditto if it's in AF mode on the camera and with a lens like the 23mm, you can have the camera in S/C mode and pull the lens into MF mode and you can set EVF to split mode.

Trust me, it works :)

Btw, I did notice that if you select multi-exposure mode or Adv mode that the split display is disabled.

harmsr

Workshop Member
If I can make a suggestion, try using the split image but not the side by side display.

When manual focusing just hit the focus assist button for a quick magnified split image to use when focusing, then hit it again to go back to normal.

I personally find it much faster & easier to use.

greypilgrim

Hrmm,
My EVF is stuck in Split Image mode. Pressing the display button on gives me Full, Standard, and Dual image options. No Custom or off options.

My LCD gives me all the options.

Any clue how to get the EVF back to providing the other options? Getting in and out of this mode would be handy.

Doug

JimGoshorn

The camera is very modal.

Hold it up to your eye so the EVF is active and then press and hold the focus assist button. Each time you do this, the modes will cycle from standard, then split, then peak.

Jim

greypilgrim

The camera is very modal.

Hold it up to your eye so the EVF is active and then press and hold the focus assist button. Each time you do this, the modes will cycle from standard, then split, then peak.

Jim
Sorry, I must not have been clear; that is not what I was referring to. I am referring to the dual view where you have two images, the large on on the left and the magnified one on the right.

On the EVF, I am getting only three options when I press the display button (not the focus assist button). I get Full, Normal, and dual view as the options, and I can cycle through them with the display button.

On the LCD, I get 5 options when I press the display button: Info, Standard, Off, Custom, Dual. Before I started mucking with Dual mode, what I got with the EVF and the LCD was the same, but it is not any more as you can see from these differences.

So, my question is how do I get the two displays back to having the same behavior when I press the display button. They once were the same, and now they are not.

The manual so far having been less than helpful on this matter.

Doug

bcaslis

Sorry, I must not have been clear; that is not what I was referring to. I am referring to the dual view where you have two images, the large on on the left and the magnified one on the right.

On the EVF, I am getting only three options when I press the display button (not the focus assist button). I get Full, Normal, and dual view as the options, and I can cycle through them with the display button.

On the LCD, I get 5 options when I press the display button: Info, Standard, Off, Custom, Dual. Before I started mucking with Dual mode, what I got with the EVF and the LCD was the same, but it is not any more as you can see from these differences.

So, my question is how do I get the two displays back to having the same behavior when I press the display button. They once were the same, and now they are not.

The manual so far having been less than helpful on this matter.

Doug
You can't. The EVF only has the three options. The LCD has the five options. Just the way it is.