Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

  1. #1
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 files or X-T1 files?

    I been a dedicated LR guy for quite awhile, however I really don't use the DAM of it very much. Not much stays on my computer, it all goes to the RAID drives after the project is done. I file it myself by job, project, customer.

    LR basically is my tool to select the files which get processed, then do the RAW processing, and addition of metadata.

    I've been away from Capture One for a long time and wanted to know if it does a better job on the Fuji, Leica (M240), or Nikon D4/D4s files.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    It depends on the file and what the subject was as I have not found any single processor that does a good job on the fuji x-trans raw and has a good tool set.

    Iridient (MAC only) IMO has the best overall raw conversion for details, (except those in shadow) but it's tool set is limited at best.

    LR/ACR (LR 5.3 for X-T1 rename the camera header in exiftools until LR support is added) does a good job, getting better on greens but still not where I would like it all the time. However LR has a strange issue with contrasting objects, like brown leaves against the blue sky and it seemingly creates a haloing issue. I have noticed this issue since day 1 and my XE-1 files. Excellent tool set of course.

    Capture One, (also needs header file renamed for XT-1) does a good job, excellent tool set, but may have issues in the greens if you use too much sharpening during the raw conversion. I find that more sharpening later on with focus magic does a better job. C1 also doesn't have the issues with the contrasting halo issues that LR has.

    PhotoNinja also works well on getting the details but again has a limited tool set. Many times I will start the conversion in this tool, then convert to dng and reopen in LR for the color work. Would also like to do this with C1, but is has no dng support.

    Paul Caldwell

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    So far, I have not found a single converter that does it all for me.

    Capture One does a good job, has a great tool set (like Paul said) and is generally the first converter I try. I am not a landscape shooter, so the green issue is generally not a big deal for me. In some cases fabric shows the Fuji artifacts, and small highlights sometimes look blown out and halo-ed. Details are okay in general.

    The latest version of ACR is usable, but in general it doesn't seem to do a better job than Capture One. The exception is the occasional occurance of moire in C1 which ACR deals with better.

    The dark horse, to me, is Silky Pix. I have used the Fuji-branded version included with the cameras (based on Silky Pix 3). People do not like it much, for some reason, and the tool set is minimal, but I really like the conversion. Detail seems better than with C1, and there are none of the halos and artifacts I sometimes get with C1. But the tools set is minimal. Colors tend to be more subdued than with C1, but there are several color "profiles" that you can chose, some of which mimic the overly bright and colorful C1 (standard) rendition.

    I have also tested Silky Pix 6. It has a much broader tool set and some interesting adjustment possibilities. Like the Fuji Silky Pix 3, it has great detail and converts very nicely. But! And this is a but which makes SP6 unusable for me: the colors are generally unusable. There is a horrible yellow-cast in everything, especially skin tones. Yes, it can be corrected, but the extra effort (in my opinion) is not worth the gain. There are a few color "profiles" that are okay, but colors in Fuji Silky Pix 3 are much better and the additional features in SP6 are not worth the hassle, I think.

    I have not tried Photo Ninja, but maybe I should. In general, though, I haven't had an image yet where C1 or the Fuji converter haven't been able to give me great results, but I mainly shoot people.

    Martin
    Martin Ranger - Seattle, WA
    www.martinrangerimages.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I started using Capture One Express 7, which I bought when it was on offer. However, I found the files came out far too soft for my liking and that the out of camera jpegs were much better and accepted by my stock agency. I tried Capture One's pre sharpening presets but they weren't enough. Could of course be my not knowing how to use the software, as others really like Capture One
    I'm now usiing Adobe Camera Raw 8.4 release candidate which I'm happier with. This is on files from a X-E1
    David

  5. #5
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I must say I am very satisfied with Aperture since it supports now finally XE2 and XT1. Like it more for XE2 than LR5 and C1P.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I'm using C1 Pro for X-E2 files. I don't like the ACR conversion for most of what I shoot, so that would apply to LR as well. I'm not a LR user at all, so can't comment directly. I'm faster with ACR and PS, so if I don't really care much about a file (fun stuff to email to a friend or family, etc) I use ACR (Bridge) and PS for quick output.

  7. #7
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Thanks guys. Looks like I'll download the trial of C1 and try it out again.

    Best,

    Ray

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    C1 has not updated for the X-t1 as yet. Wish they would.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Yes, they have. I downloaded it this am. Works well, but they didn't include the profile options available in Photoshop and ACR 8.4.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I've been using Capture One for my Fuji .RAF conversions since it first started supporting X-Trans files, and feel that it does the best job overall. You do, just like with Lightroom, have to spend some time really getting to know the app, and I've been working with Capture One 7.X.X for over a year now for my X-Pro1 conversions.

    For my X-T1, I've been using Iridient Develpor and Aperture for my X-Trans files to convert them to TIFFs, whereupon I reimport them to LR for some minor post-conversion tweaks. On the whole, until today, that is, I found Iridient Developer to be the best, but I agree it's workflow could be improved upon; I really wish it supported a full-screen sized browser view like Photo Ninja or Lightroom, but Brian says he's focused on other priorities right now. I found Aperture to work pretty well, too, but I have observed artifacts with Aperture, also.

    I just downloaded the latest rev of Capture One 7.2.1 tonight, though, and after using it on some landscape shots, still feel that Capture One still does the best job of RAW conversion I've used, on any camera for that, matter. I've found a good setting for sharpening for tree leaves, grass, foliage that I think looks very natural, and is, in my admittedly limited data set, better even than Iridient Developer (which I still think is quite good).

    So, here's an interesting comparison (and please don't ask for 100% crops, guys, 'cause I'm not going to put them up! Life's too short, fellas! I'd be happy to post my sharpening settings that I find work well in the majority of cases). It's the same file shot with an X-Pro1 (sorry, my X-T1 is on it's way back to Fuji for the flare effect fix) and the Fuji 14mm converted from Fuji RAW with Iridient Developer 2.3.4, and Capture One 7.2.1

    1) converted with Iridient Developer 2.3.4 to a TIFF, then imported for some subtle tweaks in LR 5.3



    2) conversion with Capture One 7.2.1. Imported into Lightroom only to downsample to the output JPEG file size.


    (Note: I was able to correct the keystoning of the 14mm lens in C1, but not in LR in the first photo; this is why the crops are slightly different.

    As good as Iridient Developer is, in my opinion, Capture One 7.2.1 still does the best job of RAW conversion. While I'm not a pixel peeper, I did look at the foliage and grass closely at 100%, and am of the opinion that Capture One is a bit better than Iridient Developer than rendering what I consider to be a level of detail that has the requisite acutance yet is still natural-looking. But what I also notice that that Capture One holds detail in the clouds and in the shadow areas of the trees on the hills in the background notably better. And, IMHO, the photo, on the whole, looks more accurate and natural to what I remember the scene looking actually looking like (I just took this shot yesterday afternoon).

    So, YMMV, but I still find Capture One to be my de-facto standard for X-trans (or any camera for that matter) RAW conversion. My second favorite is Iridient Developer, which I think also does a very good job.
    Last edited by Puma Cat; 1st April 2014 at 00:21.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    That's a nice shot. Love that. 14mm.

    Your findings are similar to mine in that I feel Iridient doesn't pull as much life from foliage and has such a limited toolset you need to pull the image into LR to finish.

    Paul

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Capture 1 is out with the new version that does X-t1 files.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Quote Originally Posted by aragdog View Post
    Capture 1 is out with the new version that does X-t1 files.
    Yes, I mentioned that in my post above, though perhaps I didn't make it obvious enough. It was released as a "release candidate" on Monday. I did notice slightly different default sharpening settings (IIRC) for the X-T1 than the X-Pro1.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    A few days ago, RawTherapee has released their new version which includes x-trans. In the downloaded section, you will find Windows 32 bit version 4.1.39. Windows 64 bit and Mac versions will come later as users upload them. You can compile your own version if you know how. And if you use Linux, you can compile your own version using their easy to use automatic script (read RawPedia).

    I have used RawTherapee for a long time (before x-trans). It has an excellent tool set such as highlight/shadow recovery, distortion and all kinds of other color tools which I personally do not use much. Give it a try, it is free.

    I have also used LighZone which can do x-trans (their latest beta version 9). It is also free. I find RT easier to use, although LZ has an excellent Region tool which RT is lacking.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Now RT version 4.1.40 has film simulation. Take a look at the discussions here
    RawTherapee now with film simulation: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California, US
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Picture Window Pro now develops Fuji X-Trans raw files

    Picture Window Pro now develops Fuji X-Trans raw files.

    Digital Light & Color - Picture Window Pro 7.0

  17. #17
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I use fully updated Photoshop/LR (ACR) both in CS6 and CC. One of these days I plan to give Capture One a go...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I use the latest update of Lightroom and I think it works fine. You can go back & forth trying to extract every detail out of a picture with various convertors, but different images look different on each convertor. You'll never be able to standardize by jumping around.

    The Lightroom files convert nicely and sharpen up nicely. If I'm leaving a little something behind so be it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Member GaryAyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I use Aperture for RAW conversion and global adjustments then CS6 for specific manipulations (dodging/burning) and cropping.

    I would call myself a landscape or cityscape type of photographer where the technical aspects of photography weight-in equally to the image. (or nearly equal)

    For what I shoot and how I shoot, the slight differences between the latest versions of photo processing programs isn't significant ... what photo processing program I use isn't nearly as significant as the impact of the subject.

    Gary

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I changed to work with RAW+Fine.

    Most images are fine just straight out of the cam.

    Those that need some treatment, are going into Capture One 8.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    I changed to work with RAW+Fine.

    Most images are fine just straight out of the cam.

    Those that need some treatment, are going into Capture One 8.
    That's what I have been doing with every camera I have, it gives me options so it's like eating my cake and having it too.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I've been using Capture One for my Fuji .RAF conversions since it first started supporting X-Trans files, and feel that it does the best job overall. You do, just like with Lightroom, have to spend some time really getting to know the app, and I've been working with Capture One 7.X.X for over a year now for my X-Pro1 conversions.

    For my X-T1, I've been using Iridient Develpor and Aperture for my X-Trans files to convert them to TIFFs, whereupon I reimport them to LR for some minor post-conversion tweaks. On the whole, until today, that is, I found Iridient Developer to be the best, but I agree it's workflow could be improved upon; I really wish it supported a full-screen sized browser view like Photo Ninja or Lightroom, but Brian says he's focused on other priorities right now. I found Aperture to work pretty well, too, but I have observed artifacts with Aperture, also.

    I just downloaded the latest rev of Capture One 7.2.1 tonight, though, and after using it on some landscape shots, still feel that Capture One still does the best job of RAW conversion I've used, on any camera for that, matter. I've found a good setting for sharpening for tree leaves, grass, foliage that I think looks very natural, and is, in my admittedly limited data set, better even than Iridient Developer (which I still think is quite good).

    So, here's an interesting comparison (and please don't ask for 100% crops, guys, 'cause I'm not going to put them up! Life's too short, fellas! I'd be happy to post my sharpening settings that I find work well in the majority of cases). It's the same file shot with an X-Pro1 (sorry, my X-T1 is on it's way back to Fuji for the flare effect fix) and the Fuji 14mm converted from Fuji RAW with Iridient Developer 2.3.4, and Capture One 7.2.1

    1) converted with Iridient Developer 2.3.4 to a TIFF, then imported for some subtle tweaks in LR 5.3



    2) conversion with Capture One 7.2.1. Imported into Lightroom only to downsample to the output JPEG file size.


    (Note: I was able to correct the keystoning of the 14mm lens in C1, but not in LR in the first photo; this is why the crops are slightly different.

    As good as Iridient Developer is, in my opinion, Capture One 7.2.1 still does the best job of RAW conversion. While I'm not a pixel peeper, I did look at the foliage and grass closely at 100%, and am of the opinion that Capture One is a bit better than Iridient Developer than rendering what I consider to be a level of detail that has the requisite acutance yet is still natural-looking. But what I also notice that that Capture One holds detail in the clouds and in the shadow areas of the trees on the hills in the background notably better. And, IMHO, the photo, on the whole, looks more accurate and natural to what I remember the scene looking actually looking like (I just took this shot yesterday afternoon).

    So, YMMV, but I still find Capture One to be my de-facto standard for X-trans (or any camera for that matter) RAW conversion. My second favorite is Iridient Developer, which I think also does a very good job.
    Looks like you used the keystoning tool in Capture One 8. Does a great job but makes the comparison a bit more difficult.

    Woody

  23. #23
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    C1 Pro rocks - especially. V8
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    I am impatiently waiting for my X100T to arrive . My new travel mate . Then I am new to the FUJI X system .
    Has anyone used HB PHOCUS to work with FUJI X RAWs .
    PHOCUS works fine , with reduced functions of course , for my PANASONIC GX7 RWAs . But what about the APS-C X-Trans CMOS II RAWs .
    Any experience out there ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Jotloob,

    Phocus does work though almost half the controls are blocked. For instance the noise reduction control is greyed out and non-functional with X-Trans RAF files.

    The best quality RAW converter for X-Trans RAF files (for my taste) is Apple Aperture. The black point setting (default is 3.0) is too strong. I usually lower this to 1.0. But Aperture provides the best all round results for sharpness, demosaic errors, color accuracy, and vividness.

    I have tried:

    Lightroom 5.4
    DCRAW
    Raw Photo Processor
    SilkyPix
    Phocus
    GraphicConverter
    And Aperture

    None of the above produced better results than Aperture. The only one not tried is C1.

    The built-in JPEG camera files make an excellent quality reference to compare RAW processor results.

    Good Luck,
    Tim

  26. #26
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    Thank you Tim .

    Last night the RAW-COMPATIBILITY 6.02 update was released here and I installed it right away .
    Since then , I can use PHOCUS to process the FUJI RAF files .

    Yes , I am aware , that some PHOCUS functions are not available for RAF files , but that is also valid for the LUMIX RAW's (and many others , if not all , except HB files) .
    I have PHOCUS installed anyway , because I need it for my CFV-39 and CFV-50 files .

    I have also tried C1 (latest version as a trial download) and find it rather complex .
    Also SILKYPIX , despite its strange nomenclature , is rather complex , but has some good functions and shows very good colors . Also , I like the cromatic aberation tool and that the control boxes can easily be moved to a second screen . That is great .

    I dislike LR , knowing that others might love it .
    I would have tried APERTURE , but there is no trial version available and I believe , it is a dying software with no updates and/or upgrades .

    So I ended up with SILKYPIX STUDIO 6 , which is crrently available for just
    70 € in comparison to C1 , latest version , which cost almost three time as much .

    Additional , I would like to mention , that in all converters and some other software , I find the control icons far too small .
    For people , who have to wear eyeglasses , that is a pain .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

    There is a new beta for Iridient Developer (Mac only) that has an excellent new sharpening algorithm. Well worth trying, though I am nowadays trying to just 'make do' with the JPEGS (that may change)!

    Iridient Digital

    Lee

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •