The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newly Minted Member of the Fujirati

Double Negative

Not Available
Just picked up a Fujifilm X-T1 and M Adapter to use with my M lenses!

I'm pretty stoked. Figure I'll start off playing with the M lenses I already have before I get sucked into the Fuji lens addiction... Honestly, I'd rather not start buying more lenses in yet another system. Though I will most certainly pick up the 16-55 f/2.8 slated for release later this year and likely the 23mm or 35mm prime if I like the camera enough.

Woohoo! :chug:

Mike Woods

Just picked up a Fujifilm X-T1 and M Adapter to use with my M lenses!

I'm pretty stoked. Figure I'll start off playing with the M lenses I already have before I get sucked into the Fuji lens addiction... Honestly, I'd rather not start buying more lenses in yet another system. Though I will most certainly pick up the 16-55 f/2.8 slated for release later this year and likely the 23mm or 35mm prime if I like the camera enough.

Woohoo! :chug:
Congratulations, you will love it! Try the 35/50 luxes, they are terrific in my experience, and manual focussing is excellent on this camera.

Mike

bradhusick

Welcome to the Fujirati (love that). I suggest getting the grip base (not with battery). The kit zoom is sweet and the new version (2.8) will be sweeter still.

The little pancake is nice to have and makes the kit super small.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Mike! Your photos in the "Fun..." thread definitely swayed me. The 50 Lux (and Noctilux) are high on my list. With all the focus aids the X-T1 offers, I think this'll be an awful lot of fun. I did wonder though; what adapter are you using? I went for the Fuji one... Why d*ck around, I figured. I like the function button.

Thanks, Brad! Hehe. I actually like the full-on grip. For one, it allows an extra battery and secondly, it seems I shoot more verts than landscape. Which I never expected until I started scrolling through all my photos. I appreciated the feel of such a combo with the Canon 1D2N (and 24-70mm, which I hope to replace with the X-T1).

It's funny, pretty much unanimously - every Fuji lens is a home run...

I will not buy more lenses.
:D

MCTuomey

congrats - joined the x-t1 club myself a week or so ago. going native though, no m adapter. want to see whether this little kit makes me forget L primes and zoom and big dSLRs when I want AF.

Double Negative

Not Available
You know Mike, that's my thinking too. Before I went mostly all-Leica, my shooter of choice was the 1D2N and L lenses. But honestly, schlepping a 25lb. backpack really sucked. It sucked hard. Even a shoulder bag paired down to maybe 15lbs. was no joy and in fact, worse. I'm never going back to that nonsense.

But shooting the M, you give up a lot of things which I enjoy doing, and why I still keep the Canon gear around (though I've been using the Hassy more for this sort've stuff like studio/macro/product).

I think the X-T1 will be what enjoy most about the M - with all the goods I'm missing from the Canon. Best part, I can use a lot of my M glass. Though I do see some Fuji glass in my future... Especially zooms, which I miss. And autofocus. And close focus... And...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's funny, pretty much unanimously - every Fuji lens is a home run...

:watch:

Of course you won't :ROTFL: :facesmack:

Btw, the native Fuji glass is excellent too. Just saying :grin:

Double Negative

Not Available
^ NOT helping.

I know, the Fuji glass looks very, very good - EVERYONE raves about it. It's all fun and games until you buy your first, right? Hehe.

MCTuomey

I think the X-T1 will be what enjoy most about the M - with all the goods I'm missing from the Canon. Best part, I can use a lot of my M glass. Though I do see some Fuji glass in my future... Especially zooms, which I miss. And autofocus. And close focus... And...
Yep, that's my view too. Btw, know u don't yet want to pile on lenses, but the 18-55 seems to me to punch well past its weight. Interested to hear how you get on with the camera.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Mike! I think I'll probably pick up an 18-55 until the 16-55 comes along. It's cheap enough, and it lets me play with a native lens that I think will have the most utility for me (I've got more than enough M primes). It's cheap enough, and it's not much of a compromise since it's so darn good.

Should be delivered today... M adapter is coming Wednesday. Can't wait! :)

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Mike! I think I'll probably pick up an 18-55 until the 16-55 comes along. It's cheap enough, and it lets me play with a native lens that I think will have the most utility for me (I've got more than enough M primes). It's cheap enough, and it's not much of a compromise since it's so darn good.

Should be delivered today... M adapter is coming Wednesday. Can't wait! :)

D&A

Cool. Thanks.

I'm curious; how is a lens "not compatible" with the adapter? Collapsing lenses, super wides, etc. I can see... But something like the 35mm f/1.2 Nokton? Seems weird.
I too don't want to get into another system, but this one is getting harder to resist each day. This forum is dangerous! :)

Your question about the VC 35mm f1.2 not on the recommended list of lenses to be used with the Fuji M adapter has me wondering too as that for the time being would be a mainstay of any Fuji kit I might put together. So if you come up with an explanation of why this lens can't be used with the adapter, please let me know.

As an aside, does anyone have an opinion how color files converted to B&W from the X-T1 look? The M9 was average, the M8 better than the M9 as are those from the M240, but don't have a handle on those from the X-T1?
Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Mike Woods

I too don't want to get into another system, but this one is getting harder to resist each day. This forum is dangerous! :)

Your question about the VC 35mm f1.2 not on the recommended list of lenses to be used with the Fuji M adapter has me wondering too as that for the time being would be a mainstay of any Fuji kit I might put together. So if you come up with an explanation of why this lens can't be used with the adapter, please let me know.

As an aside, does anyone have an opinion how color files converted to B&W from the X-T1 look? The M9 was average, the M8 better than the M9 as are those from the M240, but don't have a handle on those from the X-T1?
Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
Dave,

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but in my view the XT-1 files are malleable enough for you to make your B&W look however you want them to look, unlike the Oly EM5 which I came from which fell apart in similar circumstances. Incidentally, I love the M240 B&Ws, so maybe you should ignore all this :D

A couple of different treatments:

Mike

Double Negative

Not Available
FWIW, I just finished writing up an article comparing the X-T1 with the Leica T, especially how it relates to shooting M lenses with it (which will be expanded in a future article):

Fujifilm X-T1 vs. Leica T

Your question about the VC 35mm f1.2 not on the recommended list of lenses to be used with the Fuji M adapter has me wondering too as that for the time being would be a mainstay of any Fuji kit I might put together. So if you come up with an explanation of why this lens can't be used with the adapter, please let me know...)
Oh this forum is nuts. :p

I certainly plan to test the 35mm Nokton as it's one of my favorite lenses. The adapter comes with a gauge to determine compatibility and I get mine on Wednesday, so I'll be able to test then and let you know.

D&A

Thanks , Mike for the feedback on B&H imagery with the X-T1...extremely helpful. Since you're extremely impressed with the M240 ' s B&W, is it possible to give your impression if the X-T1 comes close to the B&W tonality and malability of the M240? Again much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I'll have a look at your article in the morning. Looking forward to it! Appreciate knowing what you find regarding use of the VC 35mm f1.4 lens with the Fuji M adapter. It too is one of my favorite lenses and would be somewhat disappointed if it couldn't be used on the X-T1.

Mike Woods

Thanks , Mike for the feedback on B&H imagery with the X-T1...extremely helpful. Since you're extremely impressed with the M240 ' s B&W, is it possible to give your impression if the X-T1 comes close to the B&W tonality and malability of the M240? Again much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)
Oh I would say it comes very close to malleability, and it has impressive high ISO. The portrait I posted above was at 3200. Tonality....difficult to say; I think there's a full frame advantage to the M which I guess should come as no surprise, but I wouldn't say there's a huge gulf between the two.

Mike