The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My X100 getting exhausted

G43

Beside an Olympus EM1 system I have a love affair with my X100 12 MP Bayer sensor camera. What can I say, I simply love the way the camera renders.

But to the point. I have either to buy a new one... or .. and here's the 1000 Dollar question: Have anybody here tried out the Sony A7s? In case, how did you compare and found the Sony images looking next to X100?

Maybe the question seems odd to some, but I am a strong believer in big fat pixels leads to nicer rendering.

(Have to say I'm in a country where camera rental is not even heard of)

krugorg

The pixels on the A7 (24mpx) are just a tiny bit fatter than those on the X100, so maybe that is worth considering?

G43

What I saw until now around the World Wide Web was a nicer rendering by the 7s over the 7 and 7r. There's somehow something perhaps not unexplainable, but obvious beauty look out of the 7s sensor that IMO resembles the X100 sensor not quite, but close.

The A7s seems to have a bit more bite than X100 artistic rendering due to maybe the lack of an AA filter, still I like very much the way the Sony renders. It has one thing in common with the X100..it's stealth with not too brutal fast lenses mounted at least.

Of course the A7s is a different kind of fish than the X100 with all it's hard core technology on board and the versatility offered by exchangeable lenses etc. and not to forget the hi.rez video.

Back to your answer krugorg, yes A7 has just about a tiny bit fatter pixels over the X100 APS-C sensor but still does not render like a X100 at all. The 's' is closer somehow.

Perhaps I am looking for answers a bit ahead time. A7s is still a new Sony in the streets.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Its not too early...

Fat pixels tend towards an organic rendering not as clinical as the higher MP CMOS cameras.

I think you will enjoy the A7s...with a 35 F 2.8 it is reminiscent in size to the X100 ... but you can put a Nikon 300 F 4 on it when the occasion arises for more glass.

I recently dropped a XT-1 and X-M1 - having moved from the original X100 a long time ago due to its stunted AF and MF capabilities...it had a great lens but the sensor rendering left a bit to be desired.

The AF on the A7s is very quick and the MF zoom and zebra (if enabled) is wonderful.

I have posted a number of pictures in the A7r/A7 thread....it does well with most situations you might encounter...at low to mid ISOs. I have no need of ISO above 6400 and rarely shoot at that level. Not that it cannot handle it...

My history is original 1D, Nikon D3, D3S and Df...all high iso cameras. Large pixel and very natural rendering. Phase 20 back and the Leica S2-P and newer S all at lower ISOs.

It is not a svelte or hip as the X100 with a leather case but the pictures are worth the effort.

Also gave up a GH4 for the 4K out of the A7s.

Regards,

Bob

G43

Impressive camera CV Bob :)

I would have expected something like you wrote or should I say I have hoped for an answer like that.
True is the X100 resembles RF style while not quite being so and there's really much to love and much to dislike about it. The output though doesn't need any excuse.

While I perhaps have to give up the charismatic look the X100 camera has for a faster more versatile Sony industrial robotic kind of design thing, it is in the end the IQ that counts.
(Oh.. maybe not quite so, but close :) )

Maybe to some, lenses matters less the less resolution, but it's not quite so to my experience. I've heard something pretty spectacular coming. Zeiss 35 f1.4. Should be a love relationship producing stunning IQ.

It's bed time here. Seeing you here tomorrow. (1:13 AM here)

Hulyss Bowman

If you can take an A7s, go !! I'm fat pixel lover too and I'm using my D700 more than other gears because ... FF and 12 MP is magic, easy to use, forgiving to shake, AF ...

The A7s does have the top of the pop 12 MP FF. Far better than the 12 MP inside the D700. It is not a reflex but functionality of this little camera might overcome the fact it is not a reflex.

Do not hesitate. Try it and buy it ;)

G43

Thanks HB... did you get one?

The try it part is difficult here around, but the chance is September where I jump to Denmark. On that occasion I'll also bring my DP Merrills back home.

Buy it is the easy part and I am quite turned on. Now I have to dig into the lens curation. I have already a Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon and a Sigma 35mm f1.4 from my Canon 6D days. They are though not so compact and I would need to select something lighter.
Zeiss seems to have a 35 mm 1.4 in the sleeve. I've heard is is mind blowing good.

Well. that said I might perhaps send the X100 in for an overhaul not to mourn too long over a precious loss.

turtle

I think the outright bargain of the A7 series is the bog standard A7, especially considering the cut prices for the one people often look past in favour of the A7R.

I wonder how different a down-sampled A7 file would look next to a native 12 MP file from the A7S in terms of character. You'll also have 24 MP when you want it.

G43

A7 is a bargain for sure.

I have though seen comparisons between full size 12 MP and down sized 36. The A7s is IMO superior rendering.
I would think it is due to the fatter pixels requires less in camera amplification for the same luminance versus smaller pixels. Hence the cleaner files.

Sony A7S - Queen of the Night - Comparison Review

Buying the A7s would also invite 4K video into my life even it is not my target acquiring the A7s. Target is still to replace the X100 that might soon be obsolete.

Sold the X100 years ago and never looked back. Tried the X100s but the X-trans sensor is no bueno for me.

The A7 is far superior and I'm liking the A7s even a bit more - for me, it is the best digital body I have ever used.