The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pondering what to do with a new X-E1

emr

Funny, how life puts us in different situations. I recently bought a Fuji X-E1 with the high quality kit zoom to be given as gift to somebody. Well, life changes and that didn't happen and I now have a brand new Fuji in my hands. I've only charged the battery once to update the firmware of the body and the lens and to format the SD card.

So what's the problem? I'll keep it and get great pictures with it? Unfortunately I have several cameras in different mounts already and really don't need a new one. I'm mostly invested in Pentax gear and my setup includes three camera bodies (a K-5 being the newest of them) and at least a dozen lenses. My other system is an Olympus E-M5 with the kit zoom and the 43mm and 25mm PanaLeica lenses. (I won't even mention my third system camera, Samsung NX10 with just one prime lens. Heck, I just did mention it. ;) )

I really hate everything that is involved in selling stuff. All the trouble and tyre kicking, bargaining and so on. And having invested so much in Pentax I'm not selling that. But I really like the E-M5 and would not want to part with it either. And having once dropped it from 1 m to a concrete floor, I don't want to sell it to somebody even though it works 100%.

So the options are to either sell the X-E1 kit (at a loss) or keep the third (fourth) system, which is pretty idiotic.

I wonder if the Fuji's IQ and use is good enough to deserve to be kept or is it close enough the other systems to let it go?

Last edited:

Smoothjazz

EMR,

I think there is a benefit to simplifying things; there are times when I have 'downsized' my gear, and it just seems to clarify what I have left to use.
The other thing I have learned recently is that it is probably always worth trying camera gear out before purchasing, no matter how much research you may have done. I have found Lensrentals to be a good place to try out cameras and lenses.
It seems as though sometimes one little "issue' can make or break the using of a camera comfortably on a daily basis.
They even have an infra-red converted Sony A7; I wish I would have tried it before I did my IR conversion, which ended up not working for me.
I am like you in not wanting to deal with selling things, which can be stressful- but selling on this site is relatively pain free.

Swissblad

Ditto - I would sell it.
The Fuji is a great little camera, but if you already have an extensive Oly system it makes no sense.
Good luck.

Puma Cat

Funny, how life puts us in different situations. I recently bought a Fuji X-E1 with the high quality kit zoom to be given as gift to somebody. Well, life changes and that didn't happen and I now have a brand new Fuji in my hands. I've only charged the battery once to update the firmware of the body and the lens and to format the SD card.

So what's the problem? I'll keep it and get great pictures with it? Unfortunately I have several cameras in different mounts already and really don't need a new one. I'm mostly invested in Pentax gear and my setup includes three camera bodies (a K-5 being the newest of them) and at least a dozen lenses. My other system is an Olympus E-M5 with the kit zoom and the 43mm and 25mm PanaLeica lenses. (I won't even mention my third system camera, Samsung NX10 with just one prime lens. Heck, I just did mention it. ;) )

So the options are to either sell the X-E1 kit (at a loss) or keep the third (fourth) system, which is pretty idiotic.

I wonder if the Fuji's IQ and use is good enough to deserve to be kept or is it close enough the other systems to let it go?
I'd keep the X-E1 and sell the Oly for what you can get for it.

Having owned both the E-M5 and the X-Pro1 (which uses the same exact sensor as X-E1), the image quality from the Fuji is superior to the E-M5. Don't get me wrong, the E-M5's image quality is excellent, but Fuji X-cams image quality is superior: better dynamic range, noise performance, and those Fuji colors can't be beat. Plus the Auto White balance is superior. Get a copy of Photo Ninja or Iridient Developr, set either up to work as a plug-in for Lightroom for RAW conversions, and you're good to go.

JMaher

Having once owned an EM-5 and an X-E1 at the same time I thought the difference in picture quality was unremarkable and that the other benefits of the Olympus far outweighed any difference. Sell the X-E1.

(If we all thought that one camera was the best there would be far fewer camera companies:) )

Jim

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As you see, there are lot of different opinions ....

I myself sold all my Oly equipment (including EM1) some months ago and wen Fuji XZ1. And I love it. Kind of suits more my style overall than the Olympus.

Having said that the EM1 with pro lenses is a spectacular camera. If I would be just in wildlife or action shooting I would go Olympus again. But as this is a bit put on ice for the moment I am currently prefer the Fuji!