The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there an issue here?

rayyan

I have since taken hundreds of shots. At different apertures, focal lengths, primes and the one zoom I currently have ( 18-55 ).

Below is what I have found for me. I might be technically and test wise totally wrong. But it seems to be working for me..to a great extent.

1. The issue is always at distances further away. Foliage at infinity ( > 20 mts at times. structures have never been the issue. )

2. My zoom has the greatest propensity to display ( real or imaginary watercolor effect ). The longer the focal length, the less I have encountered this situation.
Primes seem to be the best for me in this regard.

3. I have found that the center focussing is the best to alleviate this issue..esp. with my zoom.

4. I have been able to alleviate such ( real or imaginary effects ) greatly with the focus set at center, And the Focus spot at the smallest feasible size. This has proved very effective for me.

5. I only have ACR and C1 Pro. I shall stick with C1 Pro.

I am grateful to all of you nice folks for helping me. More suggestions shall be gratefully received. In the meantime, I shall continue to chase the imaginary ( or real ;) ) painterly effect.

Warmest regards.

Sapphie

Please don't go deliberately looking for the evil watercolour effect. Once you have seen it you may be haunted by it for ever ... it is best left unseen.

I can explain more later but, in a nutshell, I have seen it and became obsessed by it, to the detriment of my 'photographic sanity'. Images with my X Pro 1 have been processed through LR, Iridient, CO, Photo Ninja and others. Early LR processing was not good and has lead to the 'haunting'. I have come to the conclusion now:

- that the JPEGs are very, very good and often you don't need RAW
- LR is actually now very good. I find that selecting one of the Fuji film simulations within LR lessons the chances of the demon appearing
- life is too short to be spending so long pixel peeping and comparing RAW converters
- there is more to a good looking image than just sharpness
- as much as I like the output from my Sigma Merrills, I am preferring the use of and the general rendering of the Fuji

Good luck.

Lee

GaryAyala

I have a bit of a philosophy, in sorta a reference to Sapphie, that philosophy is if you need a computer to see it then it doesn't exist.

My quick test for significance.

MCTuomey

I've been shooting Fuji coming up on two years. I haven't seen any smearing/clumping of greens whatsoever. I shoot in RAW and convert in Aperture and polish in PhotoShop. I shoot with a XP1, X100S, XE2 and XT1.

Gary
Gary, as a street/urban chronicler, you are not authorized to shoot foliage :grin:

rayyan

Lee, Gary.

With all your advice..let me be an optimist.

I have decided to let the rubber meet the road.

I shall just take the XT-1 and only take the Fuji lenses I have.
Throw in my XE1, just in case.

Nothing else. Light weight. 18-55mm, 35 and the 60.

About a week before I leave. Let's see if I am anywhere as capable as the Fuji.

Thank you all.

p.s the weather forecast for my trip is cloudy with thunderstorms throughout.
So I can blame crap images on the weather :D:D

Last edited:

rayyan

But the XE1 is so sloooooooow.
Hmmm.

But the placement of the strap lugs on the Df are a real pita. Whoever thought of that design..
Hmmm.

Last edited: