The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there an issue here?

rayyan

Hi Folks.

I need your help badly. Due to lack of foliage around where I live, I am unable to ascertain if my XT-1 has a foliage issue in these shots..

Am I seeing things which are not there? Old mind conjuring up imaginary sightings!!

#1: Imported Raf file into C1-Pro 8.02. All defaults to null. Imported into PS for a 100% crop, resized and posted.

#2: I purposely underexposed the next image. Slight exp. lift in C1, exported to PS for 100% crop, resize and posted..

The reason this is critical now for me is for an upcoming trip that consists predominantly of forests, tea/coffee/rice fields and mountains with foliage.

I shall be grateful for any suggestions you might give me.

Thank you.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What sorts of issues are you seeing?
The first shot seems quite a bit out of focus or blurred.
There is no exif data in the image so I cannot tell what aperture was used, but the distant building seems quite a bit sharper than the closer image elements.
-bob

rayyan

Thanks Bob, taking a look. I am outside right now, shall post the raw image once I get home.

I am seeing smudgy patches in the trees?

Best regards.

What sorts of issues are you seeing?
The first shot seems quite a bit out of focus or blurred.
There is no exif data in the image so I cannot tell what aperture was used, but the distant building seems quite a bit sharper than the closer image elements.
-bob

johnnygoesdigital

Since it's isolated in the frame, I'm thinking dirt spot on on of the elements or sensor. Or perhaps just a slow shutter and the wind picked up in that area. Take another with a tripod or manual focus on that area again using higher shutter speed.

woodyspedden

Guess Fuji XT-1 users are busy today :D

Best.
Hi Rayyen

The "smearing of greens" has been noticed and talked about since the introduction of the X Trans sensor. I have a "full boat" system of the XT1 with all the really good primes and several zooms (18-55, 10-24, 55-300). I have not personally seen the problem but I have seen examples that people post. I have used Aperture, Lightroom (Photoshop with camera raw 8.7) and Capture One 8.2 to determine which converter I liked best. I think it is a toss up between Aperture and Capture One so your use of it should be O.K.

I also have Nikon gear that I use almost exclusively for landscapes. I use my Fuji for portraits (using the 56 1.2) and for my grandchildren and finally for street shooting. I find that having these two systems and using them around their core strengths has allowed me to get much better images. I believe you also use Nikon gear and you are a far better photographer than I so I won't presume to give you advice, only data.

The dilemma of course is that the Nikon gear is really heavy compared to the Fuji. I am sadly well aware of that as I am 77 years old. Using the Nikon gear for landscape work confines me to shooting close by where I park the car. I also take only the lenses I really need as otherwise the weight would stop me from shooting. i really believe in the Fuji approach and look forward to the new firmware update scheduled for December 18th. I also believe Fuji has really become the photographer's company and their roadmap will only get better for us.

Sorry for droning on but I hope I have given some useful insights. I envy your skills and love your work. Best of luck on your photographic journey.

Sincerely

Woody Spedden
Fort Collins, Colorado

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I own the XT1 since 6 month now and have taken several thousand shots including lot of greens and I have before shot the XPro1 and the XE2 but I never had ANY problem with smeared greens.

Not sur what makes this happen but either it is a camera fault or it is something in the processing chain. Having said that I regularly use Aperture, LR5 and C1Pro latest versions for post and never had any problems like described in this thread.

rayyan

Johnny, grateful for you looking in.

Tripod:shocked: What's that?
Let's see where I kept it a few years ago.

Take care.

Since it's isolated in the frame, I'm thinking dirt spot on on of the elements or sensor. Or perhaps just a slow shutter and the wind picked up in that area. Take another with a tripod or manual focus on that area again using higher shutter speed.

rayyan

My dear friend Woody.

So grateful for your thoughts. I am embarrassed by your generosity with words.
Thank you.

But we, you and me, we sell ourselves short. Life is just beginning for us.:D
Not the hectic pace of fool hardy youth, but a considered pace shaped with experience and wisdom. And limited by our reluctance to wield heavy camera equipment..because we have learnt better..no?:D

The XT-1 is one lovely piece of hardware. In normal circumstances, I wouldn't be swayed by internet chatter, but now..It is a super machine. The colors are incomparable.

Here are some random shots ( from the internet and not mine..with due credit to the anonymous photogs ) of some of the trail I shall be taking..

That is a sulphur fed lake from the volcanos behind, two of the many ( hopefully ) I intend to traverse.

The foliage I expect to be driving or trekking through...I might not be able to make it to the crater surfaces, but I shall go the last point I can..

The pic below is that of Mt. Merapi at night. I intend to be based at the small village for the night here..

I had intended to take the Nikon Df with just the 50mm. Which I shall do. Gone are the days when I could trek across the Himalyas with the D700 and the zf 100/2.

I was intending to add the XT-1 for all except some shooting. But a doubt was raised about foliage rendering when I took the simple shots posted above.

The Leica is out of the question..Monsoon, very bumpy roads etc..and I need af
here..pure and simple.

Thanks for your input Woody.

As one young hun to another..take care.

Hi Rayyen

The "smearing of greens" has been noticed and talked about since the introduction of the X Trans sensor. I have a "full boat" system of the XT1 with all the really good primes and several zooms (18-55, 10-24, 55-300). I have not personally seen the problem but I have seen examples that people post. I have used Aperture, Lightroom (Photoshop with camera raw 8.7) and Capture One 8.2 to determine which converter I liked best. I think it is a toss up between Aperture and Capture One so your use of it should be O.K.

I also have Nikon gear that I use almost exclusively for landscapes. I use my Fuji for portraits (using the 56 1.2) and for my grandchildren and finally for street shooting. I find that having these two systems and using them around their core strengths has allowed me to get much better images. I believe you also use Nikon gear and you are a far better photographer than I so I won't presume to give you advice, only data.

The dilemma of course is that the Nikon gear is really heavy compared to the Fuji. I am sadly well aware of that as I am 77 years old. Using the Nikon gear for landscape work confines me to shooting close by where I park the car. I also take only the lenses I really need as otherwise the weight would stop me from shooting. i really believe in the Fuji approach and look forward to the new firmware update scheduled for December 18th. I also believe Fuji has really become the photographer's company and their roadmap will only get better for us.

Sorry for droning on but I hope I have given some useful insights. I envy your skills and love your work. Best of luck on your photographic journey.

Sincerely

Woody Spedden
Fort Collins, Colorado

rayyan

Peter,

Appreciate your comments. It would appear that some people ( very very few ) experience this and make a lot of noise about it.

I should ignore it, I know...but..

Is there any particular lens that causes this? I wonder..

Kindest regards.

I own the XT1 since 6 month now and have taken several thousand shots including lot of greens and I have before shot the XPro1 and the XE2 but I never had ANY problem with smeared greens.

Not sur what makes this happen but either it is a camera fault or it is something in the processing chain. Having said that I regularly use Aperture, LR5 and C1Pro latest versions for post and never had any problems like described in this thread.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,

Appreciate your comments. It would appear that some people ( very very few ) experience this and make a lot of noise about it.

I should ignore it, I know...but..

Is there any particular lens that causes this? I wonder..

Kindest regards.
Rayyan,

I fully understand you and would react pretty similar in such a situation :)

Anyway, I have not found this issue so far and also with no particular lens. Lenses I used (use) are 18-55 kit zoom, 1.4/23, 1.4/35 and 1.2/56.

But I do think it is not lens dependent I rather guess it depends on processing - either in camera or post.

Best regards

Peter

rayyan

Hi Johnny.

The data is intact; but here it is..

Both with the 18-55/2.8-4

1: eq=27mm, f=6.4, ss=1/150, exp+=.33, iso-= 200

2.: eq=35mm, f/7.1, ss= 1/340, iso = 200

spot metering, awb, raf/fine

Thanks.

Maybe artifacts/smearing from processing. Let us know what lens used and if convenient, shoot another scene to compare.

JonMo

Hi there,
I had some issues back when the x-e2 first came out.
Now on the x-t1 as well; no issues; However one of the culprits to poor foliage I ran into was in the Fuji menu,
Lens Modulation Optimizer.
When this was "on" I would sometimes have issues with smearing.
When "off" have not had an issue.
This may be coincidence, I don't take a chance and just shut the dang thing off.

The other thing;
when processing in CO 7;
I found I had to set all the noise sliders to zero,
the "detail" slider to zero,
Clarity to zero,
Structure to zero.

Then to sharpen;
amount to 1000,
Radius around .3, .4,
Threshold to 0.

If I start from here, there never seems to be any mushiness in any fine details including greens.

In CO 8
I find this method makes thing a little too "crunchy".
Will have to mod it a bit if I decide to keep CO 8.

This works for me, results may vary. :)

GaryAyala

I've been shooting Fuji coming up on two years. I haven't seen any smearing/clumping of greens whatsoever. I shoot in RAW and convert in Aperture and polish in PhotoShop. I shoot with a XP1, X100S, XE2 and XT1.

Gary

rayyan

Jon.

Thank you for the detailed recipe. I am grateful to you. Shall give it a definite try.

Best.

Hi there,
I had some issues back when the x-e2 first came out.
Now on the x-t1 as well; no issues; However one of the culprits to poor foliage I ran into was in the Fuji menu,
Lens Modulation Optimizer.
When this was "on" I would sometimes have issues with smearing.
When "off" have not had an issue.
This may be coincidence, I don't take a chance and just shut the dang thing off.

The other thing;
when processing in CO 7;
I found I had to set all the noise sliders to zero,
the "detail" slider to zero,
Clarity to zero,
Structure to zero.

Then to sharpen;
amount to 1000,
Radius around .3, .4,
Threshold to 0.

If I start from here, there never seems to be any mushiness in any fine details including greens.

In CO 8
I find this method makes thing a little too "crunchy".
Will have to mod it a bit if I decide to keep CO 8.

This works for me, results may vary. :)

rayyan

Gary, thanks for looking in. I have no doubt whatsoever about your excellent experience with the Fuji.

Regards.

I've been shooting Fuji coming up on two years. I haven't seen any smearing/clumping of greens whatsoever. I shoot in RAW and convert in Aperture and polish in PhotoShop. I shoot with a XP1, X100S, XE2 and XT1.

Gary