The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Across Java

rayyan

The intention was to get across the sea to a small island..East of Java.

And see an extinct volcano..plus it's sibling that is now active and spewing lava and bellowing smoke. The parent is of course Karikatoa.

However the weather was ( and continues to be ) treacherous. Sea crossing was out of the question. So I changed plans..plan B is now operational. The central plateau in Java. Home to numerous volcanic sites and a little further down, the most active volcano currently.

Yesterday and today have been a washout. I have not seen more rain in my life.
And neither have I seen so much green. Just unbelievably gorgeous.
The land crossing was delayed due to landslides. I however got a small window of opportunity to capture from across the fields a small volcano..climbing any to approach the craters is not on in this weather.
The Fuji has been given a good shower. It is holding up very well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The intention was to get across the sea to a small island..East of Java.

And see an extinct volcano..plus it's sibling that is now active and spewing lava and bellowing smoke. The parent is of course Karikatoa.

However the weather was ( and continues to be ) treacherous. Sea crossing was out of the question. So I changed plans..plan B is now operational. The central plateau in Java. Home to numerous volcanic sites and a little further down, the most active volcano currently.

Yesterday and today have been a washout. I have not seen more rain in my life.
And neither have I seen so much green. Just unbelievably gorgeous.
The land crossing was delayed due to landslides. I however got a small window of opportunity to capture from across the fields a small volcano..climbing any to approach the craters is not on in this weather.
The Fuji has been given a good shower. It is holding up very well.

Majestic photo, Rayyan. Travel safe.

rayyan

Photographer? The lips didn't move. I turned and looked.

No, I said. A traveller from a distant land.

Not all scenery, mountain scapes and volcanos.

Arguably out rivalling Angor Wat in Cambodia. A UNESCO World Heritage site.
I shall have more to say about it once I get back home.

rayyan

To be honest, I was a little hesitant to take the Fuji XT-1 on this trip. Valuable input from this forum's members convinced me to carry it along.

It has been a joy to work with it. For the type of photography I do, it is a valuable tool. Marvellous with green vistas, and most other things.

Thanks to all who provided their input.

All images with the kit zoom. What a combo.

rayyan

Today I drove, motorbiked, and trekked across the volcanic ash and cold Lava flow of the most active volcano in Indonesia today.

I could not possibly even try to get to the crater...to arduous for me..impossible.

But it was a wasted six hours of driving and walking; the weather was just atrocious. I now have a cold and cough. My limbs ache. The back needs a good massage.

In this photo, I am walking over the volcanic ash and lava flow of the last volcanic eruption in 2010. It buried an entire village with over 300 dead. The lava under my feet covers the village and its population. Vegetation has mercifully sprouted all around.

rayyan

OlliL, Gary....really really appreciated. :salute:

From far this is how the volcanos look. We are traversing a very unmaintained
mud track to get nearer. The volcanic ash and lava flow shown in a previous image is somewhat up the volcano itself.

Great stuff rayan. Well done. Carry-On!

rayyan

From where I stand to towards the summit..i was not going to go up there, but a little up the base..:)

Just for scale and distance. In between is mostly jungle.

rayyan

Now to the foliage issue. I went where there was green only..well mostly.
Images posted from my trip become almost boring..because the that is what Java is..rice fields, agri plantations, mountains, forests repeated in various combinations.

And valleys and fertile soil. And Volcanos.

Lee ( sapphire was correct..do not chase the painterly effect..one is bound to find it!! ). Here are three images. Fuji rendering of foliage is very very satisfactory for
me. I do not want to chase any more ghosts.

I do have an explanation for this effect. Later..

I do not notice any ' painterly effect ' etc.

I believe that Fuji have a secret sauce for Asian and S.E. Asian Foliage. No harm asking them if it could be adapted to the Western greens.

Very responsive company that; Fuji. You never know.

rayyan

I would like to thank all those that joined me on this short trip.
Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

I join a few other travellers in contemplation. Silence is the experience.

Time to go home.
Thank you.