The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

Ken_R

Hi, I am considering to use the Fuji X system (X-T10 and/or X-T1) for my Unit Stills Photography work on film sets. The main reason is to lighten my load. I just performed two tests using just the electronic shutter (quiet operation is a must on film sets) using two different types of continuous lights (Tungsten and compact fluorescent, have yet to test HMi's). The results are below but in short, the max shutter speed usable without banding is 1/125 sec. At 1/180 sec and faster there is significant banding and the result is unusable. 1/125 is basically on the very low end I tend to use when shooting actors on set. 99% of the time I shoot at 1/160 or faster to prevent motion blur.

(Please disregard color and exposure, also I increased contrast/clarity a bit on the tungsten shots, aperture was fixed and iso variable)

FujiShutterTest_TUNG.jpgFujiShutterTest_CFL.jpg

Tony

The network I shoot for has strictly forbidden the use of silent shutter cameras for precisely this reason. It is still mandatory to have a sound blimp for this kind of work.

Tony

Paul2660

The network I shoot for has strictly forbidden the use of silent shutter cameras for precisely this reason. It is still mandatory to have a sound blimp for this kind of work.

Tony
Ken, thanks for the post. I was curious what iso you were using? The reason I was asking, is you are so close with the existing 1/180 test shot, (banding is minimal), if you increased the iso one stop or say 400 to 800 would that allow you to use both the 1/160 and 1/180th?

I have read many other posts on the Sony A7rII and A7SII with the same issue in silent mode, however on the Sony the problems seem to be across a wider range of shutter speeds.

Paul C

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Joining in because I do similar work in a monastery (another place where silence is mandatory).

Ian Boys notes in a similar thread that the overall speed of the whole shutter is 1/15" (I assume that is the time taken for full readout, no matter what speed is selected), but if shooting people, I would not expect any significant distortion.

This is the reason I still use the x-100s (leaf shutter, and silent): because these cameras are just fine at ISO 800, that is what I use and get the SS I need.

I wonder how much better a global shutter version would be?

V

Vivek

Of late, I have been using a Panasonic GM1 (only e shutter with non system lenses) and am yet to see any banding! AFAIK, there is no global shutter involved.

The Sony A7s (silent shutter) is unpredictable. Under multiple lights, no signs of banding.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Hi I used auto iso, it went from 400 up to 6400.

I recently used the Fuji under HMi lights (Arri M18's up to 12k's) and there was no banding even at 1/250 sec shutter speed. Kino-FLo lights also posed no issues with banding but have to really test all this out.