The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-Pro2

iiiNelson

The GX8, as well as all to be announced top end m43 cameras, like the new PenF or later this year the EM1markII will "only" have a 20MP sensor and this in m43 format. Needless to say that the XPro2 with it's 24MP APSC sensor will smoke all of them easily, I do not have the slightest doubt. Further Fuji cameras to follow later this year like the XT2 will have the same sensor with probably some add ons and further benefits.

This means that Fuji is clearly ahead of the complete m43 bandwagon already now and will most likely stay so in the years to come. Add to this the pretty complete range of high end lenses specifically developed for this cameras, especially the new 100-400, and there are not even the arguments of more complete lens range compared to m43 holding up any longer. Even if some argue that the XPro2 does not support 4K, this is only true for now and could easily change, as the new processor and the complete hardware infrastructure of the camera including sensor is capable of 4K, which makes me almost sure we will see this feature in any upcoming XT2 and very likely as FW upgrade in the XPro2 soon after.

Hard to withstand the latest Fuji offerings ....:D
Its hard to say for certain or even this early if the Fuji sensor will completely smoke the Micro 4/3 sensors and Micro 4/3 probably has the best lens lineup of all mirrorless systems in reality.

I understand the excitement for the camera though it looks great on paper and it's good to see Fuji finally update their most interesting system camera line IMO. Personally I'm most interested in the rumored MF Fuji system if it's priced correctly or in the spirit of the Mamiya 7II.

Last edited:

bipbip

I'm most interested in the rumored MF Fuji system if it's priced correctly or in the spirit of the Mamiya 7II.
Now you're talking.
Give me the same Mamiya 7II with a sensor instead of a film chamber - change nothing else, I mean even keep the shutter cocking mechanism/advance lever à la Epson RD.
Please Mr. Mamiya.

V

Vivek

Now you're talking.
Give me the same Mamiya 7II with a sensor instead of a film chamber - change nothing else, I mean even keep the shutter cocking mechanism/advance lever à la Epson RD.
Please Mr. Mamiya.
Poor Leica (if that Fuji MF rumor comes true)!

iiiNelson

Poor Leica (if that Fuji MF rumor comes true)!
I think there will be enough quirky love for both. Leicaphiles will convince themselves the strengths of the system is better no matter what - and that's fine.

My ideal camera would be a medium format X-Pro 1 type camera with the 30-50 megapixel Sony sensor. Maybe they can make a scaled up BSI version of the A7S sensor. Think about it... a 30 megapixel medium format A7s like performing camera. Give me a 21, 35-50, and 85-100 equivalent primes or maybe an ultra wide and telephoto zoom with standard wide to short telephony primes and I'm set. Price the body in the $4-6000 range and keep the lenses in the $8-2500 range and it's a win.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is a bit off topic, but:
If Fuji was to launch a digital medium format camera, it might as well be one with a fixed prime lens.

- They often did that in the past, with film (The "Texas Leicas" and the 645 series. More recently with the two GF670 models).
- Nobody else does this with digital.
- They would be able to make a perfect match between lens and sensor (as with the X70 and X100).
- It could be a much more compact camera than any other medium format camera.
- Although it would be limited to one lens/focal length (plus wide/tele converters), it would probably be cheaper than a system camera/lens featuring the same sensor.

If they do something like that, my guess would be two bodies; one moderately wide (around 35mm eqv.) and one portrait length, but probably shorter than 85mm eqv. I'm only guessing if course, but I can't really see Fuji introducing yet another lens mount into an already crowded marketplace.

Lars

Price the body in the $4-6000 range and keep the lenses in the $8-2500 range and it's a win.

IMHO: Problem is the cost of the sensor alone will push it into Pentax 645 price range. There is zero Fuji legacy WRT MF interchangeable lenses, small production series on sensor and lenses means sky high prices. Pentax at least had an MF system to build on so it was easier to sell at least a few cameras. Fuji knows this, of course. I think more likely would be an FF system (for the sake of sensor volume), but that's really too close to X series sensor size so not much difference. So I think an affordable MF system is a pipe dream.

The one possibility I think is licensing someone else's mount so there are some lenses to start with. Hassy and Pentax are SLR so flange focal distance makes for clunky camera bodies. Then there is Mamiya RF mount. There are at least a few Mamiya 6/7 lenses out there, although the widest lenses probably won't work at all with a digital sensor.

V

Vivek

I think there will be enough quirky love for both. Leicaphiles will convince themselves the strengths of the system is better no matter what - and that's fine.

My ideal camera would be a medium format X-Pro 1 type camera with the 30-50 megapixel Sony sensor. Maybe they can make a scaled up BSI version of the A7S sensor. Think about it... a 30 megapixel medium format A7s like performing camera. Give me a 21, 35-50, and 85-100 equivalent primes or maybe an ultra wide and telephoto zoom with standard wide to short telephony primes and I'm set. Price the body in the $4-6000 range and keep the lenses in the $8-2500 range and it's a win.

:)

The A7s' sensor already may be a BSI one?

Yes, I would love such camera. It will be pricey.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't mind a Fuji digital back for the GX680 btw., preferably one that covers the whole image area. Could I afford it? Absolutely not, but it's a nice thought, and those old monsters have quite a following still.

iiiNelson

This is a bit off topic, but:
If Fuji was to launch a digital medium format camera, it might as well be one with a fixed prime lens.

- They often did that in the past, with film (The "Texas Leicas" and the 645 series. More recently with the two GF670 models).
- Nobody else does this with digital.
- They would be able to make a perfect match between lens and sensor (as with the X70 and X100).
- It could be a much more compact camera than any other medium format camera.
- Although it would be limited to one lens/focal length (plus wide/tele converters), it would probably be cheaper than a system camera/lens featuring the same sensor.

If they do something like that, my guess would be two bodies; one moderately wide (around 35mm eqv.) and one portrait length, but probably shorter than 85mm eqv. I'm only guessing if course, but I can't really see Fuji introducing yet another lens mount into an already crowded marketplace.
I wouldn't be very interested in buying a fixed lens MF camera personally at $5k+. Make it a mirrorless MF system camera for the "right price" (even if it's a cropped sensor MF camera) and I'd be interested enough to drop my Sony kit if they had the "right" lenses to go along with it. I really like my Sony FE kit so the lenses and IQ would have to be REALLY good.

I'd even be happy if they cut all video features from the camera to keep the price down.... Just a straight up mirrorless MF still camera with little frills besides the usual Fujifilm emulations with slide film modes thrown in for good measure. I might even be convinced to adapt to the backwards controls in the aperture and lens mount that Nikon, Zeiss, and Fuji sometimes implements into their cameras.

Why not offer a wide spectrum version as well (as Leaf does) while we're dreaming?

Tim

Lars I think the opposite is more likely, some reported interview data ..

I think more likely would be an FF system (for the sake of sensor volume), but that's really too close to X series sensor size so not much difference.
Fuji Manager T. Ueno: “We are in a Very Good Position to make a Medium Format Camera… but no Plans for now!” | Fuji Rumors

we came to the conclusion that the APS-C mirrorless system is the way to go as opposed to full frame D-SLR.

So I think an affordable MF system is a pipe dream.
While they claim they are not making one, but are investigating MF.

Fuji Manager T. Ueno: “We are in a Very Good Position to make a Medium Format Camera… but no Plans for now!” | Fuji Rumors

“We are in a very good position to make a medium format camera, as we make camera bodies, sensors and lenses. We already make the lenses for Hasselblad, so we have that expertise." .... "but right now we are only investigating.”

So you are correct really that they are not making either.

I am still very interested in that X70 and the XPro1 has never been such a bargain as it is now and can be had NEW still

bensonga

A new XPro1 can now be had for only $499 from B&H Photo etc. Truly a lot of camera for the money. I just picked up a XF 35 f2 lens for my XPro1 today. A perfect match....it will go nicely with an XPro2 someday as well. :)

Gary

UHDR

i would be happy to take a GF670w with a pentax 645z sensor in it :grin: just use the spare space inside for electronics. :cool:

Charles2

Re: X-Pro2 - an overlooked but important advance

Two features of the X-Pro 2 tilt the scale in favor of moving your focus point and against focus-and-recompose. One is the dense set of points over a large part of the frame (selectable between 77 of them and some 200-plus...!). The other is the joystick for moving the focus point, which reviewers have really liked.

The advantage applies to the EVF, and it might turn out even better for the OVF, enhanced by optional picture-in-picture of the EVF, which the user can see at full scene for precise framing or magnified for precise manual focus.

On the EVF: The one in the X-T1 is not larger than this one in native display. A magnifying prism in front of it magnifies. You get a larger box to view, but resolution is not denser, and noise may become an issue in some lighting of the scene.

Lars

Tim, thanks for correcting me.

Some personal thoughts on medium format...
Back in -98, before I went into large format, I owned a Fuji GSW690 and rented a Mamiya 7 for a weekend.
My conclusion from that experience was not enough DOF - I felt the need for a technical camera.
So my view is that 6x7 or 6x9 is too large a format for no movements.
But 645 might be OK. and the cost of a single 6x9 sensor would of course be astronomical.

Tim

So my view is that 6x7 or 6x9 is too large a format for no movements.
But 645 might be OK. and the cost of a single 6x9 sensor would of course be astronomical.
Now a straightforward small 645 fixed lens Fuji camera with a 35mm - 50mm equiv prime would be something unique.