Thread: Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2

You don't have to use the ' 1.4 '.

Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Nice image.

I am currently debating between getting the 35/2 or the 35/1.4. I do not really need shallow depth of focus and would like WR so I am leaning to the 35/2 as I very much like the 23/2. Once the 50/2 comes out that would be a nice 3 prime lens street setup. Comments?
    koffee & kamera
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Back from Georgia..and very glad to be home!!

koffee & kamera
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    You cannot go wrong with any Fuji lenses. The trio will be light weight but extremely versatile. I just bought 23/2 but the faithful 35/1.4 will stay in my bag, forever. So my set will be 23/2, 35/1.4, 60/2.4 macro and will add Samyang 12/2 for my upcoming Bali trip. 16/1.4 is also very good but I am reluctant to take this relatively heavy lens.
    While discussing this B&H just put Fuji XF lenses on sale with 100-$300 off each lens. So now I want them all! I was also looking at the 14/2.8 or the 10-24 which friends say is versatile and very sharp.

I am of two minds as I like a simple 3 prime lens setup for street, but for travel with street and landscape mixed it might be wise to take zooms like 16-55 and 50-140 and then either a zoom wide or prime wide, leaving the 100-400 behind.

Post Thanks / Like

A Photo A Day Project: darrlene.com
    My Other Website: photoscapes.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

X Pro 2, XF 14mm

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A view of my garden from the window. The window has plastic and the rain was driven against it, making the image soft. Yeah, I know my camera is weatherproof, but this is prettier. X Pro2 and 23mm, f/2.

Will

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While discussing this B&H just put Fuji XF lenses on sale with 100-$300 off each lens. So now I want them all!
    I spent the last six months accumulating nice Fuji lenses, some at discounts that have since disappeared, some on E-Bay from the impatient who have to try everything. One of them gave off a strong sense that it had fallen off the back of a truck -- dusty box, a seller with a spotty record. All of them are performing flawlessly, but it was a lot of work for a little savings, and now most of those savings are available again direct from the major sellers. (sigh!) Maybe there will be even more savings in Black Friday madhouse and post Jan 1 letdown. But I have all the lenses I need, I think.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Nice image.

I am currently debating between getting the 35/2 or the 35/1.4. I do not really need shallow depth of focus and would like WR so I am leaning to the 35/2 as I very much like the 23/2. Once the 50/2 comes out that would be a nice 3 prime lens street setup. Comments?
    I purchased the 35/2 first, followed by the 23/1.4, using both on my X-Pro2. The X-Pro2 with the 35/2 feels like a an ideal Leica M, with the small form factor, optical plus live viewfinder and less restrictive UI. But it is a bit soft in the corners until I go to f/4 or 5.6. (Sean Reid seems to find the same.) The 23/1.4, on the other hand is pretty near flawless. And for things that I shoot I like bits of detail at all parts of the frame. I suspect that Fuji views the f/2 lenses as optimized for X-Pro2 street shooters and their f/1.4 lenses are more perfected. YMMV obviously.

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 9th November 2016 at 20:16.
    pre 2015: http://www.pbase.com/skirkp
    current: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Post Thanks / Like

Supermoon time

I posted a comparison of a handheld, autofocused supermoon shot taken with the stabilized Fuji 100-400 with one taken on a Leica SL, manually focused, with a 580 mm Leica R lens (APO-Telyt-R 280 + 2X extender) on a tripod. It's in the Leica thread. Best moon-viewing in 70 years!

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2

I am of two minds as I like a simple 3 prime lens setup for street, but for travel with street and landscape mixed it might be wise to take zooms like 16-55 and 50-140 and then either a zoom wide or prime wide, leaving the 100-400 behind.
    So I took the plunge and purchased an X-Pro 2 with the 14 f/2.8 and 35 f/1.4 to serve as a travel camera and I have some observations and some questions:

- I love the OVF.
    - Focusing is very precise and for what I do rapid enough.
    - The 35mm f/1.4 is delightful although a little noisy and is supplied with the worst lens cap ever (lost during the first couple of hours).
    - The lack of a lock on the diopter adjustment is a real pain
    - Picture quality and colours are fantastic
    - C1 works very well although I find that I need to crank up the highlight recovery slider. But, highlights recover well.

- I must be doing something wrong because I've had no success with the Acros simulation mode that others rave about. I find the results too contrasty and lacking in detail. The B&W conversion through C1 works a whole lot better for me than saving as jpeg with the Acros profile. Anyone any suggestions or comments about this?
    - I would really like to add the 56 f/1.2 but how much does it obscure the viewfinder? Would this be considered too large for a system predominantly used for travel?

All in all just very happy. Great little camera, wonderful lenses.

Here are some examples, all with the 35 f/1.4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1095.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	649.1 KB 
ID:	122629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1082.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	122630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1092.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	122631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF1063.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	754.1 KB 
ID:	122632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF1059.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	422.8 KB 
ID:	122633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF1050.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	644.9 KB 
ID:	122634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF1035.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	847.5 KB 
ID:	122635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1078.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	122636
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is that time of year when 3 pm feels like 7 pm. And the contrast between the sky and land at sunset is huge. This is Acadia National Park. My wife and I ate our dinner here. With 23mm, F/2.

Will

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdubois View Post

- I must be doing something wrong because I've had no success with the Acros simulation mode that others rave about. I find the results too contrasty and lacking in detail. The B&W conversion through C1 works a whole lot better for me than saving as jpeg with the Acros profile. Anyone any suggestions or comments about this?
    - I would really like to add the 56 f/1.2 but how much does it obscure the viewfinder? Would this be considered too large for a system predominantly used for travel?

I mainly use Acros as a composition aid for seeing in black & white through the viewfinder while shooting.

After looking at the Acros images in Lightroom, I develop further in Silver Efex for black & white.

I use the 56 f/1.2 APD mostly for portraiture, although I have shot other types of images with it. I find the 56mm to be a bit heavy in the front with my XP2, but it replaced my long-loved Nikon 50mm f/1.2 when I made the switch to Fuji. I purchased the XP2 for use as a travel camera and rented about every lens Fuji makes (test images here) to see what I wanted to keep in my travel bag. I do not like any of the zoom lenses or anything past the 56mm due to weight. I did like the reach of the 90mm, but the copy I rented had an annoying motor sound. I asked on the forum if anyone else had a 90mm with the noise, but no one responded. So I do not know if it was just the copy I rented, or if the 90mm has a louder focusing motor than the other Fuji lenses I use.

I assume you are referring to the OVF regarding visual blocking; the 56mm takes away about the same amount of view as the magnified rectangle box does in the lower right corner with just a tad more above. I prefer the EVF and have no difficulties at all composing with the 56mm. Here are portrait images shot in a dark studio environment with the 56mm in manual focus mode. The lens was hunting because the studio was dimly lit and the walls and floor are painted grey. The 56mm APD is a beautiful lens, but focusing can be an issue in dim light, and I believe the non APD version is the same lens minus the APD filter.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

I have the vanilla version of the 56/1.2 and have used it on an X-Pro 2. With the lens shade on a little more than 1/8 of the frame is blocked when using the OVF. Magnification doesn't affect the blocking. Without the lens shade, there is no blocking. But the lens balances better on the X-T2, as it is a bit heavy and the lens shade is a good idea, at least outdoors. Here is a quick portrait, shot with my (now on its way back to Fuji to fix the sensor noise) X-T2:

XT2F0716 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

ISO 320 f/[email protected]/100

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post

I mainly use Acros as a composition aid for seeing in black & white through the viewfinder while shooting.

After looking at the Acros images in Lightroom, I develop further in Silver Efex for black & white.

I use the 56 f/1.2 APD mostly for portraiture, although I have shot other types of images with it. I find the 56mm to be a bit heavy in the front with my XP2, but it replaced my long-loved Nikon 50mm f/1.2 when I made the switch to Fuji. I purchased the XP2 for use as a travel camera and rented about every lens Fuji makes (test images here) to see what I wanted to keep in my travel bag. I do not like any of the zoom lenses or anything past the 56mm due to weight. I did like the reach of the 90mm, but the copy I rented had an annoying motor sound. I asked on the forum if anyone else had a 90mm with the noise, but no one responded. So I do not know if it was just the copy I rented, or if the 90mm has a louder focusing motor than the other Fuji lenses I use.

I assume you are referring to the OVF regarding visual blocking; the 56mm takes away about the same amount of view as the magnified rectangle box does in the lower right corner with just a tad more above. I prefer the EVF and have no difficulties at all composing with the 56mm. Here are portrait images shot in a dark studio environment with the 56mm in manual focus mode. The lens was hunting because the studio was dimly lit and the walls and floor are painted grey. The 56mm APD is a beautiful lens, but focusing can be an issue in dim light, and I believe the non APD version is the same lens minus the APD filter.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Hello Darr

Thanks for your helpful comments.

I've never got on with Silver Efex (or NIK for that matter. It may be that they do not play well with my Windows based system and I've been too often frustrated with crashes) but will persevere with Acros off camera jpegs and see if I can get the simulations to work better.

My primary motivation to get the XP2 was the EVF (which for me works perfectly) as I have an aversion to OVF. I've now ordered the 56/f1.2 and will try it out during my next travels this week to New Zealand and the USA.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Darr

Thanks for your helpful comments.

I've never got on with Silver Efex (or NIK for that matter. It may be that they do not play well with my Windows based system and I've been too often frustrated with crashes) but will persevere with Acros off camera jpegs and see if I can get the simulations to work better.

My primary motivation to get the XP2 was the EVF (which for me works perfectly) as I have an aversion to OVF. I've now ordered the 56/f1.2 and will try it out during my next travels this week to New Zealand and the USA.
    You are welcome rdubois.

I do not know if you are shooting in RAW + JPEG or JPEG only, but just want to comment RAW has a much deeper bucket of information to pull from than JPEG. I could never get all the tones in the Silver Efex image with a JPEG file. I only shoot RAW and when I initially bring the images into Lightroom (LR), they will all be in "Adobe Standard" profile even though I have shot in the "ACROS+G" profile with my XP2. Once the RAW files are in LR, I highlight the first image and change it to "Camera ACROS+G FILTER" in the Camera Calibration Profile panel. Then using the Sync Settings, I sync the "Calibration" setting for all images to match the first image. I am sure Capture One (C1) has the ability to do this, I just do not use C1 like I do LR. Funny thing is, I have C1 v.9, but do not use it even though I have kept up with it since v.5. I recently purchased the book, "Capture One Pro 9" and plan on going through it over holiday break. One reason I think I stayed with LR over C1 is the catalog feature in LR. I am hoping C1 has gotten better with this feature.

I think you will enjoy the 56mm lens and look forward to your images!

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    You are welcome rdubois.

I do not know if you are shooting in RAW + JPEG or JPEG only, but just want to comment RAW has a much deeper bucket of information to pull from than JPEG. I could never get all the tones in the Silver Efex image with a JPEG file. I only shoot RAW and when I initially bring the images into Lightroom (LR), they will all be in "Adobe Standard" profile even though I have shot in the "ACROS+G" profile with my XP2. Once the RAW files are in LR, I highlight the first image and change it to "Camera ACROS+G FILTER" in the Camera Calibration Profile panel. Then using the Sync Settings, I sync the "Calibration" setting for all images to match the first image. I am sure Capture One (C1) has the ability to do this, I just do not use C1 like I do LR. Funny thing is, I have C1 v.9, but do not use it even though I have kept up with it since v.5. I recently purchased the book, "Capture One Pro 9" and plan on going through it over holiday break. One reason I think I stayed with LR over C1 is the catalog feature in LR. I am hoping C1 has gotten better with this feature.

I think you will enjoy the 56mm lens and look forward to your images!

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Thanks Darr and Scott

Just received it. Nice piece of glass Perhaps a little heavier than I had thought but wow, beautifully made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darr and Scott

Just received it. Nice piece of glass Perhaps a little heavier than I had thought but wow, beautifully made.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some results. On C1 vs. LR, I've been a C1 user since around when the Olympus E-1 came out, which must be around 2003 or 4 and a release around 3.x. I have a home-grown cataloging system, so didn't spend much effort on the data management part, and I also plan to set some time aside to master some of the local corrections tools (Photoshop style) that are now part of it. When I have seen comparisons, I get the feeling that LR takes a bit more of a "one size fits all" approach. In particular, for Fuji's Xtrans files, C1 has been much better in retaining detail without generating artifacts. One thing -- the sliders for noise and sharpening in C1 for an Xtrans file should be left in their middle (default) position unless you have a good reason. Both down and up moves are towards more unusual situations. It's worth spending a little time trying them before using them.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This morning we had our first snow. Nothing bad--anything you do not have to shovel is good. But after such a mild fall, it was a bit of a shock. Those are one of our blackberry briers in the foreground.

With 23mm, f/2.
    Will

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing some results. On C1 vs. LR, I've been a C1 user since around when the Olympus E-1 came out, which must be around 2003 or 4 and a release around 3.x. I have a home-grown cataloging system, so didn't spend much effort on the data management part, and I also plan to set some time aside to master some of the local corrections tools (Photoshop style) that are now part of it. When I have seen comparisons, I get the feeling that LR takes a bit more of a "one size fits all" approach. In particular, for Fuji's Xtrans files, C1 has been much better in retaining detail without generating artifacts. One thing -- the sliders for noise and sharpening in C1 for an Xtrans file should be left in their middle (default) position unless you have a good reason. Both down and up moves are towards more unusual situations. It's worth spending a little time trying them before using them.

scott
    Hi Scott

I'm travelling from tomorrow and should have some good opportunities to test out this lens. I'll post some examples when I get a chance. As for C1 vs LR; perhaps people are different but as I get older I'm finding that "good enough" becomes sufficient and for my use, C1 gives a good balance of features which is more than "good enough" also as concerns X-Trans handling. Although we have Adobe CC at work for things like InDesign, PremierePro.... I tend to give it as wide a berth as I can with the exception of PS for which there is little alternative. I've tried LR and it and I just didn't get on.

Hi Darr: The film simulations are available with in-camera jpeg conversions. Some have reported that they get excellent results from the Acros (and other) film simulation options. I have not but entirely accept that this is my problem although I am very interested to progress with this if I can find out how. Raw is great but it is, in my opinion, even better if the camera can do the work. Clearly Fuji makes this available and by all accounts it does the conversions very cleverly but, as yet, I haven't mastered that art.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scott

... Although we have Adobe CC at work for things like InDesign, PremierePro.... I tend to give it as wide a berth as I can ...
    That's my feeling, too. Unless I become a Premiere user (and I have FinalCut X), I find Adobe CC to be unnecessarily expensive.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

That's my feeling, too. Unless I become a Premiere user (and I have FinalCut X), I find Adobe CC to be unnecessarily expensive.

scott
    You can get Adobe CC for Photographers (Photoshop and Lightroom) for $9.99 a month or less. They run specials periodically for ~ $85.00 a year. That is not expensive when compared to the full Adobe CC suite or what a standalone Photoshop version cost before the CC version.

Lightroom does not have a "one size fits all" approach; everything is adjustable through sliders, filters and brushes. It is Photoshop without layers, and you can go from Lightroom to Photoshop (for layers) in a round-trip workflow seamlessly. It was C1's UI and lack of DAM system that compelled me to stay with Lightroom a couple of years ago. I rely on a cataloging system with a search function that does more than keywords or dates, but also lenses (and more). I have used C1 for medium format files and went back to LR because I need cataloging software. Over break I plan on exploring the C1 book I just purchased to see if the UI has improved and if their is finally a DAM system under the hood. Heck I have put money into the upgrades without using them in the hope Phase One will update their program closer to what photographers need and not just the RAW processor which was already pretty good. Imagine shooting a Phase One digital back, but processing the files with Adobe Camera RAW -- that is what I have been doing since 2010!

Kind regards,
    Darr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, someone had to do it: brick wall, X pro2, 14mm.

Will

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

X-Pro 2 and 56mm f/1.2 APD as promised.

Interesting lens and I'm slowly getting to grips with the Acros simulation. The colour from RAW, processed with C1, the B&W straight out of the camera as jpeg

Name:	DSCF1152.jpg 
Size:	638.3 KB 
ID:	122791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1152_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	575.6 KB 
ID:	122792

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Well, someone had to do it: brick wall, X pro2, 14mm.

As brick walls go that's very vertically improvisational. Nice straight line across the top, maybe also along the bottom, and a very strange curvature of the vertical mortar segments between the bricks on the right. Is this RAF processed in LR or jpeg from the camera, and did you crop a bit?

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Fuji X-Pro 2 Color

with the 23/1.4

DSCF2717 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2714 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2708 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As brick walls go that's very vertically improvisational. Nice straight line across the top, maybe also along the bottom, and a very strange curvature of the vertical mortar segments between the bricks on the right. Is this RAF processed in LR or jpeg from the camera, and did you crop a bit?

scott
    Scott, thank you. The bricks are level, but since this is the unfinished end of an old building that has also had some modifications over the year, the vertical course of the bricks are not straight. I and every reviewer have found the Fuji 14mm very well corrected for curvilinear distortion.

This is an RAF file cropped straight to the 1:1 setting of the camera. I shot my X Pro 2 as either a 1:1 of 16:9 as it has become my digital substitution of my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612. I shoot RAW and JPEG, where the JPEG is just the reference file for the aspect ratio. I use Irident Developer for the RAF files.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Martial Arts by streetlight

My son's naginata practice is held on a tennis court in a park, by the light of a single streetlight. This series was shot with Fuji X-Pro 2, using ISO 12800, f/2.0 at typically 1/40 sec, with the 35mm/2.0 lens. It appears that our sodium vapor lamps pulse at about 150 HZ:

DSCF2769 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2863 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2844 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2903 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Developed in C1, with as-shot color balance and moderate use of the shadow slider.

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 29th November 2016 at 01:14.

Post Thanks / Like

All made with the X-Pro2 or X-T2 (posted from Facebook so forgive the quality)

Man Pushing A Garbage Can Past Uniqlo - Fifth Avenue

Subway Station Newsstand - Greenwich Village

Man with Briefcase by MoMA - Midtown

Manhattan Skyline from Brooklyn

Midtown

Midtown

Woodside, Queens

Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Information Desk - Empire State Building

Manhattan from Empire State Building

59th Street and 2nd Avenue

Barber Shop - East Village

Williamsburg - Brooklyn

Chinatown

West Village

Financial District

Financial District

57 Street

Post Thanks / Like

Chile

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is snowing today in Maine. I took a walk around my forest. The landscape is just flat and brittle.

Will

Post Thanks / Like

In Barcelona

But not the usual sights:

DSCF2963 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2969 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2981 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2958 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

X Pro2, f/5.6 23/1.4 or 35/2

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The winter sun in Maine. This is 3pm. 23mm f/2.0.

Will

Post Thanks / Like

More Barcelona contemporary

DSCF2938 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2933 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr
    X Pro2, 23/1.4

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Barcelona -- hotel room view pano

(Big file, sorry)

DSCF2918 Panorama by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

X Pro2, 23/1.4, stitched in PTGui

scott

Post Thanks / Like

First trip with XP2

Just returned from a long trip which included New Zealand, Seattle and Las Vegas. For the first time, just with the X-Pro 2, 35mm/f1.4, 14mm/f2.8, 56mm/f1.2

Delightfully light, easy to use and so unobtrusive compared to my more usual D810. I particularly liked the 35mm and 56mm.

For those more interested, http://dubois.photodeck.com/-/galler...-november-2016 but here some examples:

Name:	DSCF1374.jpg 
Size:	490.9 KB 
ID:	123053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1375.jpg 
Size:	791.1 KB 
ID:	123054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1397.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	123055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1308.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	123056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1315.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	123057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1378.jpg 
Size:	951.8 KB 
ID:	123058
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ACROS+ 18-55mm
    Leica M240, Leica M8, EOS 6D, Fuji X100F, Sony RX100 IV, Sigma DP2M, Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 15mm 4.5 III, Fuji WCL-X100, Leica Elmarit-M 28mm 2.8, EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II USM, 35mm 2.0 IS USM, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, Summilux-M 50mm 1.4 Asph., Summarit-M 90mm 2.5, EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A murder of crows. This mass roosting happens each December where I work. It is quite a sight.

X Pro2 and 23mm, F/2
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First trip with XP2

Just returned from a long trip which included New Zealand, Seattle and Las Vegas. For the first time, just with the X-Pro 2, 35mm/f1.4, 14mm/f2.8, 56mm/f1.2

Delightfully light, easy to use and so unobtrusive compared to my more usual D810. I particularly liked the 35mm and 56mm.

For those more interested, http://dubois.photodeck.com/-/galler...-november-2016 but here some examples:
    You are so right, light, easy to use and unobtrusive compared to ANY Nikon FF (or Canon same thing). Plus the 24MP files are much easier to handle and more than enough (at least for me) than the 36MP files of the Nikon.

Great results

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First trip with XP2

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    You are so right, light, easy to use and unobtrusive compared to ANY Nikon FF (or Canon same thing). Plus the 24MP files are much easier to handle and more than enough (at least for me) than the 36MP files of the Nikon.

Great results
    Thank you! I've set up for simultaneous raw and jpeg on the Acros standard setting. The jpegs are very good and aside from a quick edit in PS for resize, adding borders and output sharpening nothing else needs to be touched.

The sensor resolution is, for me, quite sufficient and so far I haven't missed the pixels even when cropping heavily but then I mainly print to 7" wide so that would rarely be an issue for me anyway.

Focusing is accurate and easy, even on the 56 f/1.2 only occasionally missing at close distances because of parallax but the joystick works very well. It is only really a problem with fast moving objects less than 2 or 3 metres away. I suppose I could use the EVF but they've never been my cup of tea.

I'm struggling a bit with the auto white balance and I think it is more often off than on but this might be because of the very high contrast as experienced in the New Zealand early summer. I need to experiment more with this. Straight out of C1, the colours are about right as far as saturation but a little cool, particularly the blues.

For the moment I'm keeping the Nikon but if the first few 100 frames are the way of things and I can crack the WB then likely I'll migrate also for the longer lenses but possibly then with an XT-2 as a second body and I guess I'll have to learn how to get on with an EVF

Post Thanks / Like

Low Light with the Fuji X-Pro 2 -- Brussels Christmas market

I'm finding that the X Pro2 handles high ISO really gracefully. This series (Album is here) was capped at ISO 6400.

DSCF3044 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3055 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3039 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3066 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re:Fuji X-Pro 2: 35/2.0 @ 2.0, ISO 6400

No idea when my X-T2 will return from Fuji, but in the mean time, I'm enjoying using the X-Pro2 as a great low light evening casual scene camera. Here's a recent album. And a couple of selects:

DSCF3087 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3088 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3097 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3100 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Capure One Profiles

For those not aware, Scottie Wang has published some X Trans III profiles to work with Capture one Pro 9 and 10. I've only had a brief play with them but they seem to look and work well. Not sure about the etiquette and so hope I'm not breaking any rules but here is the link: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4025876?page=2

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a feel for how the 100-400 behaves at its closer points:

DSCF3144 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

X-Pro2, [email protected], f/5.6 1/250

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Holidays everybody!!!

X-Pro2 and Voigtlander Nokton 40mm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Smith
    Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Maine:

Will

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn

X-Pro 2, 55-200

Ray

Last edited by Grayhand; 26th December 2016 at 11:14. Reason: Brain damage...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fighters

All with the X Pro2 and 58/1.2:

DSCF3251 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3242 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3237 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF3321 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Generally about ISO 1000, f/2 or 2/2.8 @ 1/125.
    More of these in an album (but it's pretty long) here.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Happy New Year to you all!

And most importantly health and love

Peter

Untitled by ptomsu, on Flickr

Untitled by ptomsu, on Flickr
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford.
    Met him at a local restaurant last night and got a chance to chat with and photograph him. Super nice guy!
    X-Pro2 + XF35/1.4

Ron Smith
    Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post