The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2

animefx

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Fuji system and this forum as well. I've primarily shot Leica cameras the past 6 years or so and Canon before that. I've gotten rid of my Canon gear long ago as the system evolves way too slowly and I grew tired of the weight. Leica is my first love, but I'm adding Fuji for shooting paid portraits and weddings next year or for times I just don't want to use my Leica. I've had my Fuji XT-2 for close to 2 weeks now. My only lens so far is the 56mm f/1.2

So far I enjoy the XT-2 quite a bit. The ability to customize the controls are great and remind me of the control I had over the Ricoh GR. The autofocus has been pretty good but seems to struggle a bit in the shade or lower light situations, although I admit its probably the lens more than anything else. The colors seems to be fantastic especially using film modes during the day. I find the white balance the best I've ever seen indoors with mixed lighting although there are times outside in the shade especially where it seems a bit green and reminds me of Nikon colors which I'm not super fond of. Lightroom support is absolutely terrible, but Iridient Developer is nice although converting to the RAW to TIFF and loses some of the advantages vs. using straight RAW in Lightroom. Ergonomics are mostly good although I wish the lever (thumb stick) was slightly larger like on the Canon 5D.

I'll shut up now and share a few photos... The first two had some minor post processing and the rest from the Ren Fair are straight from camera JPG, Pro Neg High.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Fuji system and this forum as well. I've primarily shot Leica cameras the past 6 years or so and Canon before that. I've gotten rid of my Canon gear long ago as the system evolves way too slowly and I grew tired of the weight. Leica is my first love, but I'm adding Fuji for shooting paid portraits and weddings next year or for times I just don't want to use my Leica. I've had my Fuji XT-2 for close to 2 weeks now. My only lens so far is the 56mm f/1.2

So far I enjoy the XT-2 quite a bit. The ability to customize the controls are great and remind me of the control I had over the Ricoh GR. The autofocus has been pretty good but seems to struggle a bit in the shade or lower light situations, although I admit its probably the lens more than anything else. The colors seems to be fantastic especially using film modes during the day. I find the white balance the best I've ever seen indoors with mixed lighting although there are times outside in the shade especially where it seems a bit green and reminds me of Nikon colors which I'm not super fond of. Lightroom support is absolutely terrible, but Iridient Developer is nice although converting to the RAW to TIFF and loses some of the advantages vs. using straight RAW in Lightroom. Ergonomics are mostly good although I wish the lever (thumb stick) was slightly larger like on the Canon 5D.

I'll shut up now and share a few photos... The first two had some minor post processing and the rest from the Ren Fair are straight from camera JPG, Pro Neg High.
Absolutely stunning results and well - also gorgeous models ;)

I am back to Fuji with the XT2 and I could not be more happy. I am still shooting Nikon (D810) and m43 (Olympus EM1) but I find myself using the XT2 almost exclusively now. So It could happen very likely that I would sell my m43 gear sooner than later.

I am mainly photographing right now landscape, kids and safari, so one lens I got besides the kit zoom is the 100-400. And this is a beast of a lens, I have long time not seen such a well thought out design, excellent construction and superior IQ with top notch image stabilization.

Looking forward to see more of your work ;)

rayyan

On the way to the Caucasus, Georgia. Weather was cold but clear.
Alt is 1200 mts. I can go upto 3000mts. Without oxygen! :loco:

River head in the mountains. Autumn colors at higher altitude so far.

David Schneider

A few from Paris, France.

Notre Dame and Eiffel Tower.
Paris from top of Arch de Triumph
Ille St Louis restaurants at closing time.
Jardin du Luxembourg.
Hotel du Lutece on Ille St. Louis
L'Ilot Vachel restaurant on Ille St. Louis

Attachments

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Hyde Park, Chicago with the XT 2

XT2F0119 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The UC campus has changed a lot since I was here in a previous century, but the Henry Moore sculpture that marks the spot of the first nuclear chain reaction is still here, surrounded by a modern library, that seems to have sprouted a wing appropriate for use on the moon or Mars:

XT2F0122 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

XT-2, 23/1.4 @f/5.6 ISO 200

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2 -- a problem

Has anyone else seen this problem:

XT2F0096 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

click thru to the original and notice the noise, which looks like a lot of hot pixels. It has been happening on occasional frames, without warning, and then going away. Shooting a black frame does not show them, so they are not stuck hot pixels.

WTF????

scott

teeraash

Scott, I notice pretty ugly vertical banding in the sky area too. Never have seen any of these from my limited use of the t2.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Scott, I notice pretty ugly vertical banding in the sky area too. Never have seen any of these from my limited use of the t2.
Yep. I had noticed vertical lines of hot pixels, but I did not notice the closely spaced vertical lines in the blue sky, upper right, which seem to be a version of the same effect.

Note this has happened about 10 times in my first 100-200 shots. If you check the other two shots I have posted, I hope you won't see them. If no one else has reported this, the camera will probably go back for a new unit.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yep. I had noticed vertical lines of hot pixels, but I did not notice the closely spaced vertical lines in the blue sky, upper right, which seem to be a version of the same effect.

Note this has happened about 10 times in my first 100-200 shots. If you check the other two shots I have posted, I hope you won't see them. If no one else has reported this, the camera will probably go back for a new unit.

scott
Scott,

I have shot more than 2000 shots so far with my XT2 under all different lightning conditions and never had any of these issues. So it might be a good idea to send the camera back and have it replaced.

Good luck!

Peter

PS: I really love mine, one of the best cameras I ever owned during my life :cool:

Shashin

Has anyone else seen this problem:

click thru to the original and notice the noise, which looks like a lot of hot pixels. It has been happening on occasional frames, without warning, and then going away. Shooting a black frame does not show them, so they are not stuck hot pixels.

WTF????

scott
If it is not the camera, could it be the card? While I have never seen a pattern like this from a bad card, it is strange.

scott kirkpatrick

If it is not the camera, could it be the card? While I have never seen a pattern like this from a bad card, it is strange.
I've got another theory for the spots (which do look like a heating effect since they don't show up in a dark frame). When I unboxed the X-T2, I put its battery on the charger and inserted a charged spare battery from my X-Pro2. Used that for several days. The previous battery is an NP-W126 and the new camera uses an identically specified NP-W126S. DP Review thinks the differences between the two batteries are in internal circuits which prevent overheating. Now I have the newer 126S battery installed, and so far today no noise spots. The card is another question. The user manual says Sandisk cards have been tested and found reliable, but doesn't say anything about Lexar. Is anyone else using Lexar 1000 or faster cards?

scott